My server's time is resetting everyday

I set my server's time 5 minutes earlier but it resets the time everyday, is there something like automatic time update/sync with internet on linux? And how do I turn that off?

ntp/ntpd

why do you want to force your server to be out of sync?

I've shut it down now, will wait 24 hour and see if it resets again or not. I need it few minutes behind for syncing purposes with master server.

will be lot better if you could synchronize your master server with correct time
    TK Rustelekom LLC Dedicated server since 2002, RIPE NCC member, LIR

I've thought about master and slave servers having same time but if slave server time is FASTER than master server, which happens sometimes, it won't be able to sync correctly.

That is arguably the most important reason to run ntpd -- to keep the clocks of *both* servers sync'd within a few microseconds. (ntpd the daemon, not ntpdate run as a cron job as a lot of people curiously like to do)

Your approach of running one clock slower is not only needlessly complex, but it makes event correlation nearly impossible.
    Eric Spaeth
    Enterprise Network Engineer :: Hosting Hobbyist :: Master of Procrastination
    "The really cool thing about facts is they remain true regardless of who states them."

You run the risk of the Master and Slave never being in Snyc because of not being at the correct time if you we're to perform a OS or system update. Bash script with delay?
    Last edited by josephgarbett; 06-09-2011 at 03:05 AM.
    Garbott Ltd - Exceptional web development, hosting & consultancy services

Quote Originally Posted by spaethco View Post
    That is arguably the most important reason to run ntpd -- to keep the clocks of *both* servers sync'd within a few microseconds. (ntpd the daemon, not ntpdate run as a cron job as a lot of people curiously like to do)

Your approach of running one clock slower is not only needlessly complex, but it makes event correlation nearly impossible.
    If I sync master / slave using ntpd, is there any possibility that the slave time will be faster than master time? Because if it is faster even 1 second, there will be huge problem. I have a lot of servers that has to be synced so any possibility that any of the slave servers will be faster than master if they all sync to the same reference site?

I found some tutorial on resetting of server's time. Have a look

http://www.howtoforge.com/perfect_setup_ubuntu_6.10_p7

Quote Originally Posted by chasebug View Post
    If I sync master / slave using ntpd, is there any possibility that the slave time will be faster than master time?
    How do you think everyone who runs time-based transactional databases does this?

http://www.eecis.udel.edu/~mills/dat...w/overview.pdf
    Eric Spaeth
    Enterprise Network Engineer :: Hosting Hobbyist :: Master of Procrastination
    "The really cool thing about facts is they remain true regardless of who states them."