VPN on a VPS.Config?

I am looking to start a VPN for my personal use only.There are few VPN providers, but am not sure if those IPs are shared or provided to me for my exclusive use.Sometimes dynamic IPs through VPN are turned down by payment gateways or either get blacklisted.
    So, consulted a few frnds & they suggested me to go for a minimum VPS box.

What would you guys suggest to start & run a single ip VPN on a VPS.
    * I wont be surfing more than 2 sites through VPN (only 2 specific websites)
    * I wont be using VPN for downloading or streaming or P2P or torrents etc., (jus pure browsing purpose only)

So, im looking to decide on choosing Windows or Linux Vps,RAM, Disk Space etc.,Your config suggestions are most welcome

I would suggest you look at a low end linux box close to your location.

You could go the windows route but out of the box it is likely going to cost 5 times more, not be as efficient or secure.

Plenty of cheap Linux VPS boxes you could get away with 64mb or 96mb of ram for the type of use you have in mind.

Probably best off going for XEN based VPS with TUN/TAP enabled and openvpn on CentOS 32bit minimal or maybe even arch linux for a small memory footprint.
    -> INCEPTION HOSTING LIMITED
    -> QUALITY XEN & OpenVZ VPS HOSTING
    -> PHOENIX & MIAMI USA & THE NETHERLANDS & UK EU
    -> WHITE LABEL XEN VPS RESELLER PLANS

Forgot to mention that im looking for US IP vpn, so would also choose VPS based in US.

Linux boxes seem to be affordable & secure with Openvpn.But with Windows VPS, setting up VPN wont be a big issue as PPTP is already configured i think.

In anycase do i need 64MB ?

Can i go with something less than that.May be 24 or 32? Just asking if that is sufficient, since my needs are very low

Quote Originally Posted by sosmuthu View Post
    Forgot to mention that im looking for US IP vpn, so would also choose VPS based in US.

Linux boxes seem to be affordable & secure with Openvpn.But with Windows VPS, setting up VPN wont be a big issue as PPTP is already configured i think.

In anycase do i need 64MB ?

Can i go with something less than that.May be 24 or 32? Just asking if that is sufficient, since my needs are very low
    Realistically, nobody is going to sell you 24MB RAM - 64 is around the lower cap, maybe 48 if you beg for a custom plan

Linux boxes + VPN wont be a big issue because you can literally just apt-get install openvpn

I would suggest 64mb minimum to be honest,

If you really know what your doing and can strip everything down to ABSOLUTE bare metal your unlikely to even be able to use a package manager with only 32mb of ram without issues.

Quote Originally Posted by backtogeek View Post
    I would suggest 64mb minimum to be honest,

If you really know what your doing and can strip everything down to ABSOLUTE bare metal your unlikely to even be able to use a package manager with only 32mb of ram without issues.
    apt-get is pushing it, yum probably won't run at all

Any suggestions abt 'Reliable & Tested' hosts that sell VPS from 32 MB? (dont say go to low end box website,hv been there but not sure of reliability)

although that said pacman in arch will run with 32mb, but with that said the amount of shopping around you are going to have to do do get a VPS with 32mb or less to save around 50c a month just aint worth the hassle

edit: unless your wanting a challenge for reasons of "because I can" then I totally support that

If you east coast based don't discount western Europe

might want to have a read of this too: http://www.lowendbox.com/blog/xenvz-...-quick-review/