Thread: World IPv6 day

World IPv6 day

I'm surprised this hasn't been mentioned already (sorry if it has & I've missed it)

http://www.worldipv6day.org/

Its been mentioned time and time again over the months and yet the day comes and its quiet..

Odd.

Tbh i forgot about it today. Weird that the news sites havent picked up on it.
    Live Chat Support Software for your Business website - IMsupporting.com

Quote Originally Posted by lynxus View Post
    Its been mentioned time and time again over the months and yet the day comes and its quiet..

Odd.

Tbh i forgot about it today. Weird that the news sites havent picked up on it.
    I think they'd only pick up on it if things broke, everything working as expected on a protocol that's decades old isn't really news.

It's working without a hitch for me... I noticed gmail was a tiny bit slower, and then I checked and it's actually going through our tunnel flawlessly.

Facebook have a sense of humor with it too:

16 bytes from 2620:0:1c08:4000:face:b00c:0:3, icmp_seq=0 hlim=48 time=80.211 ms

I believe the day has already came and passed...

We have been IPv6 ready for a little over 8 month's now...

I don't understand when I see all these people, threads, requests, and question's about IPv6 and some providers still not providing them yet, it's strange to me we were offering IPv6 addresses with all of our products sense November 2010.. and just have been expanding and growing with the IPv6 transition ever sense.

As well, I have even changed over everything in my home networking... I'm IPv6 ready and working at my home also. My ISP rolled out the updates and such back in January I believe and I changed everything over mid April of this year and I personally love it.

We released our project today for the world ipv6 day, and configured and setup a dedicated server for a project we have been doing just for the IPv6 world day, last night at 12:00 midnight we open'd up our application forms and started approving applications, we currently have over 200+ approved applications with about ~150+ more to go through.

We setup a dedicated server for IPV6 world day, and the main concept was for "free shells", we have had people waiting for it, each person that applys for one gets approved and they are provided a free shell on the dedicated server that's IPv6 ready and only IPv6, and each free shell user gets provided 5 dedicated IPv6 addresses for free to try out, mess around, and get IPv6 ready we want to help out the community and help out anyone and get them used to the IPv6 ways, we have also configured a custom motd welcome screen on the box when they login that has commands they can enter to learn about and have a FAQ system made in the box so they can be walked through when doing things with IPV6.

With each shell they are provided with the following..

5 dedicated ipv6 addresses.
    1GB Diskspace
    SFTP Access
    SSH Access
    IRC Allowed Server
    VPN Configured and Setup
    IPv6 Configurations.
    Walk Throughs, and Custom MOTD Screen with tips, and hints and custom commands/prompts for them to be walked through and FAQ's about using IPv6.
    We had this box configured in our Dallas data center with just IPv6 networking so they are able to test it out, and setup a web server/web page, use it for Chatting, VPN, whatever.

We have also each user approved has a control panel they are able to login to to manage there shell and such in our Custom In-house Control Panel that we use to manage our clients, this service is provided free and will be provided free until the box is filled up, It's currently got 183 people logged in and great feed back.

If anyone is new and would like to join our chat channel and also apply for a free IPv6 shell your welcome to shoot me a PM or e-mail me at [email protected] for more information, I do not want to advertise as I'm not sure and 100% what the policy is on the rules and such for new members, I read the rules and terms but I don't want to break them if I misunderstood something.

Thank you, and I hope to see some of you join and come hangout!

LOL

You were given "5 dedicated ipv6 addresses." lol.

That is all.

Black Lotus just became fully IPv6 compliant for World IPv6 Day at 10:18PM UTC.

You can check everyone's progress here: http://www.worldipv6day.com/particip...ard/index.html

when will IPv4 be used up? I believe many people are not so comfortable with v6 yet.

Ok, IPv6 day was yesterday, but why can't all these big participants just leave IPv6 'switched on', ping www.facebook.com & you now get their IPv4 address.

Just seems daft to me that if they're available on an IPv6 address, they need someone to say it's IPv6 day to actually use it.

Quote Originally Posted by RandomLittleHost View Post
    Ok, IPv6 day was yesterday, but why can't all these big participants just leave IPv6 'switched on', ping www.facebook.com & you now get their IPv4 address.

Just seems daft to me that if they're available on an IPv6 address, they need someone to say it's IPv6 day to actually use it.
    The problem is that there's many daft OSes out there that will have IPv6 enabled, but no IPv6 route. They then, for some stupid reason, ask for (and receive) an AAAA record, and the connection times out.

This is one of those growing pain issues that is probably the sole reason a good many sites aren't dual-stacking right now. I bet Facebook alone got tons of hate yesterday from all the people with idiotic OSes/browsers/etc who suddenly shrieked "facebook's down!".

Quote Originally Posted by fwaggle View Post
    The problem is that there's many daft OSes out there that will have IPv6 enabled, but no IPv6 route. They then, for some stupid reason, ask for (and receive) an AAAA record, and the connection times out.

This is one of those growing pain issues that is probably the sole reason a good many sites aren't dual-stacking right now. I bet Facebook alone got tons of hate yesterday from all the people with idiotic OSes/browsers/etc who suddenly shrieked "facebook's down!".
    Actually, Facebook have said that they didnt get an increase.
    The same goes for Microsoft and Google.

They all said that everything seemed to run without a hitch.

So yeah.. Why not leave it on until they do get problems?( if they do )

We're leaving ours on, although our IPv6 offerings will be non-SLA for a period of time until we've had a chance to develop sufficiently compatible DDoS mitigation technology. We're also in the process of offering our customers 6to4 proxies so that they can validate IPv6 without having to support it themselves.