Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I just received a copyright infringement notice.

Hi,

Sorry if this is not the right place. I just received a copyright infringement notice which looks like spam. I'm wondering about this because i don't have anything hosted like that on my site. This is the note i got.:

Dear Sir,

Attached is a list of the copyrighted material you are infriging on.
    As well as hosted on our website at the following address: http://creativno.net/copyright.php , under Copyrighted Materials.
    We are the proprietors of all copyrighted material that is being fringed upon on your companies webste.
    We have reserved all rights regarding these trademarked files.
    Permission was neither asked nor granted to reproduce our copyrighted material, therefore what your company is doing constitutes infringement of our rights. In terms of the Copyright Statutes, we are entitled to an injunction against your continued infringement, as well as to recover damages from you for the loss we have suffered as a result of your infringing conduct.

In the circumstances, we demand that you immediately:

1. remove all infringing content and notify us in writing that you have done so;

2. pay a licensing fee in the amount of 160,000 USD;

3. immediately cease the use and distribution of copyrighted material;

We await to hear from you by.

This is written without prejudice to our rights, all of which are hereby expressly reserved.

Yours faithfully,
    Senior Legal Advisor,
    Andrew Lloyd
    http://creativno.net/
    from Andrew Lloyd andrew.lloyd@creativno.net
    sender-time Sent at 7:05 AM (GMT+04:00). Current time there: 12:21 PM. ✆
    to xxxxxxxx@gmail.com
    date Wed, Jun 8, 2011 at 7:05 AM
    subject Cease copyright infrigement!
    mailed-by piter3.dns-rus.net

Thanks.

I have also got the same email, worded exactly the same. I got a bit worried when I read it.

Probably just spam because I don't think I have any copyrighted material from then.. lol

Just googled 'andrew.lloyd@creativno.net' because I got the exact same email and this was the first result. I presume it must be spam because I can't think of anything I have done and after a quick look I don't recognize anything in the email! Bit scary though.

EDIT:
    Also got this one this morning haha:
    For the Last time, we are pleased to notify you of the Microsoft Windows Mega Jackpot (E-MAIL) Sweepstakes result. Please; confirm if you received our previous message with;

E-ticket number: 78005043266 066,
    Category: 2nd,
    Draw: 6098,
    Match: 3 plus bonus
    Amount: £5,500,000.00 (Five Million Five Hundred Thousand Great British Pounds)

You may reply this mail with this information's: Name:, Address:, Phone:, Cell Phone:, Email:, Alternative Email:, Occupation:, and Position for reconfirmation. It is 14 days to claims deadline. This promotion is all about promoting the us of (E-MAIL) we are not promoting the use of phones, so take note.

Mr. Allen Douglas
    Microsoft Management Board, Copyright © 1991-2011

Thanks for the response,

I went through their site to see what are they doing. And they only seem to do some images or the like. So wondering what i was using from them...

As the grammar is poor and even failing to mention what's being infringed shows that this is more or less a spam.

Looks like spam - the link in the email leads to a "nothing found" 404 style page and the email doesn't mention any domain names or URLs. (Unless it was in an attachment - was there one? If so, what was it - a zip, exe, or something?)

No attachments here nope. Its just a terrible free template site with Russian(?) links. Dodgy as anything!

Quote Originally Posted by cedricd View Post
    Looks like spam - the link in the email leads to a "nothing found" 404 style page and the email doesn't mention any domain names or URLs. (Unless it was in an attachment - was there one? If so, what was it - a zip, exe, or something?)
    Sorry forgot to mention that. No attachment was included in the email. this where i got suspicious.

The link works for me, but it just takes you to a site showing some images, and it wasn't an attachment for me.

I only run an F1 Manager site now and I haven't used any of them images... lol

It would seem like spam if a few people are getting the same email.

Just got the same exact email with no attachment.

Quote Originally Posted by gunemalli View Post
    Sorry forgot to mention that. No attachment was included in the email. this where i got suspicious.
    Ah - most likely spam then

@ChrisMayhew: Check the title of the page - it says that nothing was found for copyright php

Ah - most likely spam then

@ChrisMayhew: Check the title of the page - it says that nothing was found for copyright php
    Ah, Missed that one.

That certainly was a bad email to read on my phone when I had just woke up. haha

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisMayhew View Post
    Ah, Missed that one.

That certainly was a bad email to read on my phone when I had just woke up. haha
    Quite right. Had the same effect on me

This message was created automatically by mail delivery software.

A message that you sent could not be delivered to one or more of its
    recipients. This is a permanent error. The following address(es) failed:

andrew.lloyd@creativno.net
    SMTP error from remote mail server after RCPT TO:<andrew.lloyd@creativno.net>:
    host creativno.net [91.219.194.3]: 550 No Such User Here
    I sent an email asking for a list of the copyrighted info and it returned it after about 10 minutes of sending it.. lol

Looks spam to me. The website does not even seem to be a proper business or a law firm.
    Jweeb Solutions
    Singapore Web Consulting & Solutions
    Web Consulting - Web Hosting - Web Design & Development and more...
    http://www.jweeb.com.sg - Making the Web Simple!

I sent an email asking for a list of the copyrighted info and it returned it after about 10 minutes of sending it.. lol
    Yep, received the bounce mail after asking where to send the $160k to.
    Market Hosting ★ UK cPanel Hosting
    Reseller DedicatedcPanel Server Management
    • 99.9% Uptime • Fantastico • Site Builder •
    • PayPal Accepted • 24/7 Friendly Support •

Quote Originally Posted by MH-Nick View Post
    Yep, received the bounce mail after asking where to send the $160k to.
    haha, Well unlucky for them that they missed out on that money

Got the same exact garbage. Loved the copyright notice on the bottom of the page they linked to - the one with published date 40 years in the future.

Let's see:
    Invalid copyright on their page.
    No attached list of infringment (oops I meant list of "fringed" work) just a link to a page (titled "Nothing found for Copyright Php") with instructions "under Copyrighted Materials" yet that phrase down not even appear on the page.
    Whois contact information for the domain is bunk.
    Unreasonable demand for damages.
    "Senior legal advisor" with no firm attached.
    Grammar "issues".
    Sent to an old personal email.

Let me run right to the bank and get that $160k for them... Oh wait, there's not even a place to send it. Think this one is pretty safe to put in the spam bin. Actually if you use gmail (thought I saw that on someone's post) click the pull down in the upper right and "Report Phishing" since they're asking for money.
    Lagniappe Internet L.L.C. - Wholesale Reseller and VPS Hosting.
    Lagniappe (lan-yap) - An extra or unexpected gift or benefit.
    HostEntrepreneur - Hosting news, reviews, tips, tricks, help and the occassional rant

The link works for me, but it just takes you to a site showing some images, and it wasn't an attachment for me.
    The page is a redirect put in anything.php after the domain name and the same page comes up. Then check out the title - "Nothing found for (whatever you typed) php".
    Lagniappe Internet L.L.C. - Wholesale Reseller and VPS Hosting.
    Lagniappe (lan-yap) - An extra or unexpected gift or benefit.
    HostEntrepreneur - Hosting news, reviews, tips, tricks, help and the occassional rant

Most attorneys pass spelling class before taking the bar exam. Just saying
    An ITX Design Hosting Company
    FFmpeg Hosting
    http://itxdesign.com
    tel. (866)-577-1442

I received this one as well, and did briefly crap myself.

It's spam. If it's not, they'll get your postal address from your WHOIS data and write an actual letter.

That is normal every day advertisement in Russia you have to learn to ignore it.

There is nothig to be worried about my friend 100%

Got one too and jumped out of bed this morning, but the site itself was taken down an hour later. And it seems like he scraped all the emails from wht
    <<< Please see Forum Guidelines for signature setup. >>>

Its definitely spam, we got this as well (to an unlisted but "guessable" email address on our domain):

Dear Sir,

Attached is a list of the copyrighted material you are infriging on.
    As well as hosted on our website at the following address: [removed url] , under Copyrighted Materials.
    We are the proprietors of all copyrighted material that is being fringed upon on your companies webste.
    We have reserved all rights regarding these trademarked files.
    Permission was neither asked nor granted to reproduce our copyrighted material, therefore what your company is doing constitutes infringement of our rights. In terms of the Copyright Statutes, we are entitled to an injunction against your continued infringement, as well as to recover damages from you for the loss we have suffered as a result of your infringing conduct.

In the circumstances, we demand that you immediately:

1. remove all infringing content and notify us in writing that you have done so;

2. pay a licensing fee in the amount of 160,000 USD;

3. immediately cease the use and distribution of copyrighted material;

We await to hear from you by.

This is written without prejudice to our rights, all of which are hereby expressly reserved.

Yours faithfully,
    Senior Legal Advisor,
    Andrew Lloyd
    [removed url]

Message headers:

Return-Path: <kinobook@piter3.dns-rus.net>
    Received: from piter3.dns-rus.net [91.219.194.3] by [REMOVED] with SMTP; Tue, 7 Jun 2011 23:19:40 -0700
    Received: from kinobook by piter3.dns-rus.net with local (Exim 4.69) (envelope-from <kinobook@piter3.dns-rus.net>) id 1QUC85-0004Bk-PY for [REMOVED]; Wed, 08 Jun 2011 10:20:37 +0400
    X-Php-Script: creativno.net/wp-content/plugins/sendme.php for 82.195.232.218, 82.195.232.218
    Mime-Version: 1.0
    Content-Type: text/plain
    Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit
    Message-Id: <E1QUC85-0004Bk-PY@piter3.dns-rus.net>
    X-Antiabuse: This header was added to track abuse, please include it with any abuse report
    X-Antiabuse: Primary Hostname - piter3.dns-rus.net
    X-Antiabuse: Original Domain - [REMOVED]
    X-Antiabuse: Originator/Caller UID/GID - [759 754] / [47 12]
    X-Antiabuse: Sender Address Domain - piter3.dns-rus.net
    X-Smartermail-Spam: SPF_None, BackScatter, DK_None
    X-Smartermail-Totalspamweight: 15
    Last edited by Asher S; 06-08-2011 at 12:56 PM.
    [[ Reyox Communications / USA based cloud servers & support / 9 years of hosting websites ]]
    [[ Affordable ASP.NET4, ColdFusion, PHP & MS-SQL, MySQL, cPanel/WHM & Windows Reseller Hosting + Virtual Private Servers ]]
    (www.reyox.com) - Mention WHT and get a discount on your first month!

id have crapped myself i had recieved that.

BUT on the same subject, what does happen if there is material on the site that is apparently copywrited by another site?

FOR example, if my site id made by company A, and uses images, layouts or templates that are copywrited, IMO im not liable, legally that might be a different story,

Has anyone ever receive a legitimate copywright infringment notice and if so, whats the procedure? I mean seriously, the guy that sent that scam message quite possibly made alot of money exploiting peoples fears, knowing how real infringments are handeled would help reduce people being scammed.

I got it too, nothing attached, and don't say how to pay him, a waste of time and bandwicht...
    Honesting.es honest european provider.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast