surprised no one is talking about steadfast cloud

I saw this pop up in the offers section. Looks like a great offering. I of course added a few VM's to play with.

Although the CPU reservation % slider is a bit confusing since their pricing is based on 500 mhz blocks, so I'm not sure the correlation there.

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1054860

In any event, looks like a great offering and competitive pricing.
    I <3 Linux Clusters

Its odd to see a cloud service operate on a committed bandwidth GB/h system rather than just plain old transfer metering. Not a bad thing per-se, as it does help drive the cost/GB down substantially.

I'm not entirely sure if it matches the advantages of cloud provisioning since if I know my traffic that well, I might as well get a dedi.

But it's good to have more options and see someone try something new.

yeah, we tried to translate it to mhz because that was easier to understand. We tried to explain on the main cloud page and the knowledgebase with 10% CPU being ~500mhz (~500mhz in practice, not dedicated). To note, you'll get a better bang for the buck getting 10% on each of two CPUs than getting 20% on one CPU. It is a little complicated to change the interface inside OnApp, but do you have any other suggestions for making that easier? I'm thinking I should probably make this KB article more prominent: https://support.steadfast.net/index....id=74&nav=0,15

For the bandwidth, it is only $0.08 per GB, so go a couple GB over in one hour, etc. and it won't be much of a hit. We also don't charge for inbound bandwidth or bandwidth over our internal network. Also, even though the VLANs are generally used by our existing dedicated server and colocation customers, we can set you up with your own VLAN and do bandwidth billing using a different method such as 95th, etc. The flexibility is the key of the platform, and we're always open to working out something custom.

We definitely appreciate the feedback, any feedback we can get is appreciated, especially with a new product like this.
    Last edited by KarlZimmer; 06-07-2011 at 11:35 PM.
    Karl Zimmerman - Steadfast: Managed Dedicated Servers and Premium Colocation
    karl @ steadfast.net - Sales/Support: 312-602-2689
    Cloud Hosting, Managed Dedicated Servers, Chicago Colocation, and New Jersey Colocation
    Now Open in New Jersey! - Contact us for New Jersey colocation or dedicated servers

Quote Originally Posted by tchen View Post
    Its odd to see a cloud service operate on a committed bandwidth GB/h system rather than just plain old transfer metering. Not a bad thing per-se, as it does help drive the cost/GB down substantially.

I'm not entirely sure if it matches the advantages of cloud provisioning since if I know my traffic that well, I might as well get a dedi.

But it's good to have more options and see someone try something new.
    The gb/h is an interesting one. I am not sure I have seen anyone else do that. I was messing with the modeling in excel and I can see an advantage to most people who have fairly consistent traffic and problematic for bursty people. From a business model standpoint I would prefer to have a fixed cost of usage to build pricing models from.

Either way, I am pumped and plan on putting it through it's paces. I like the limitless vm concept as I can run a few smaller vm's for load balancers. I am already planning a few vb forum migrations for this weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by x86brandon View Post
    The gb/h is an interesting one. I am not sure I have seen anyone else do that. I was messing with the modeling in excel and I can see an advantage to most people who have fairly consistent traffic and problematic for bursty people. From a business model standpoint I would prefer to have a fixed cost of usage to build pricing models from.

Either way, I am pumped and plan on putting it through it's paces. I like the limitless vm concept as I can run a few smaller vm's for load balancers. I am already planning a few vb forum migrations for this weekend.
    Yes, the idea is for people to increase security by segregating services, made especially easy with the Jumbox images. We were already doing it internally, using proxies to run our blog, forum, etc. on different VMs as we don't really trust the software. Most of those you only need a small VM, and instead of managing them and paying for them all separately, this is in one place.
    Cloud Hosting, Managed Dedicated Servers, Chicago Colocation, and New Jersey Colocation
    Now Open in New Jersey! - Contact us for New Jersey colocation or dedicated servers

Quote Originally Posted by KarlZimmer View Post

For the bandwidth, it is only $0.08 per GB, so go a couple GB over in one hour, etc. and it won't be much of a hit. We also don't charge for inbound bandwidth or bandwidth over our internal network. Also, even though the VLANs are generally used by our existing dedicated server and colocation customers, we can set you up with your own VLAN and do bandwidth billing using a different method such as 95th, etc. The flexibility is the key of the platform, and we're always open to working out something custom.

We definitely appreciate the feedback, any feedback we can get is appreciated, especially with a new product like this.
    Good point on the overage and free inbound. You mention VLAN's, that brings up another interesting question. Could you/can you/would you extend a VLAN for Dedicated's so someone could mix and match? On top of that, would you extend an NFS mount or something from the NetApp available to a dedicated?

Did you get 3140's it looks like? I love my 3170A's
    I <3 Linux Clusters

Good point on the overage and free inbound. You mention VLAN's, that brings up another interesting question. Could you/can you/would you extend a VLAN for Dedicated's so someone could mix and match? On top of that, would you extend an NFS mount or something from the NetApp available to a dedicated?

Did you get 3140's it looks like? I love my 3170A's
    Yes, we've already setup customer VLANs over from dedicateds to the cloud setup. You'd need your dedicated server setup on a dedicated/trunkable VLAN though. We'll also be launching NFS/iSCSI storage off the NetApp in a couple weeks as well, we can get you setup early if you really want.

We feel the overall flexibility is what makes us different, that is largely around tying your dedicated and colocation configurations into the cloud. We're also coming out with more set "hybrid cloud" and "private cloud" setups in the coming weeks as well.

We're using the NetApp 3240. We're loving the NetApp.

Yes, we've already setup customer VLANs over from dedicateds to the cloud setup. You'd need your dedicated server setup on a dedicated/trunkable VLAN though. We'll also be launching NFS/iSCSI storage off the NetApp in a couple weeks as well, we can get you setup early if you really want.

We feel the overall flexibility is what makes us different, that is largely around tying your dedicated and colocation configurations into the cloud. We're also coming out with more set "hybrid cloud" and "private cloud" setups in the coming weeks as well.

We're using the NetApp 3240. We're loving the NetApp.
    Awesome.... I just hope you can keep it running as fast as it is now.

Remember, NetApp starts slowing down at 80% and comes to a crawl around 95%, so keep that in mind.
    I <3 Linux Clusters

Awesome.... I just hope you can keep it running as fast as it is now.

Remember, NetApp starts slowing down at 80% and comes to a crawl around 95%, so keep that in mind.
    Saying CPU load or disk capacity?

Disk I/O... seems lots of SAN based cloud providers end up over subscribing.
    I <3 Linux Clusters

We have multiple headends and are distributing load across them which should help. But yes, we're keeping a close eye on them.

NetApps rock for cloud.

They are already capable of so much more than what most providers call 'SAN' not to mention the HA and enterprise features ensure reliable operation...

Yeah, we've been very happy with NetApp and not sure we'd be as confident in our platform without it. The performance and reliability both tested out very well.

yeah, we tried to translate it to mhz because that was easier to understand. We tried to explain on the main cloud page and the knowledgebase with 10% CPU being ~500mhz (~500mhz in practice, not dedicated). To note, you'll get a better bang for the buck getting 10% on each of two CPUs than getting 20% on one CPU. It is a little complicated to change the interface inside OnApp, but do you have any other suggestions for making that easier?
    Yeah when you need to have a PHD in Particle Physics just to order a cloud server, it generally turns people off. I'm not sure if that is your intention, but when you compare your order page to say that of rackspace cloud ordering, it's like night and day.

Most people don't want to have to look in 10 places, mix up 3 in one box 1 in another. Unless again your that Particle Physics guy that has a specialized application.

Quote Originally Posted by swilly View Post
    Yeah when you need to have a PHD in Particle Physics just to order a cloud server, it generally turns people off. I'm not sure if that is your intention, but when you compare your order page to say that of rackspace cloud ordering, it's like night and day.

Most people don't want to have to look in 10 places, mix up 3 in one box 1 in another. Unless again your that Particle Physics guy that has a specialized application.
    Of course, giving people less options and forcing them into select packages will make it simpler, but to me that is absolutely not what the "cloud" should be about, it should be getting what you need when you need it. If you're just ordering pre-set virtualization packages you're just ordering a VPS, what makes that a 'cloud"?

If you feel, even with our detailed guide, it is too complicated and need a PhD, then I guess yes, it is too flexible for you and you should go with a simpler configuration. So far, most people using the platform have indicated it is initially a little daunting, but once they go through it once it seems to be easy as pie. Since then we've made the documentation for it more prominent, but the idea is also that you'll be ordering more than one VM anyway.

I don't think it should be surprising. People are already familiar with OnApp. so I think it takes away some of the mysteriousness that makes people want to inquire about a deployment like Steadfast's. Building a cloud is no small engineering feat nonetheless.

Congratulations to Steadfast on the launch!

Regards
    Joe
    UNIXy - Fully Managed Servers and Clusters - Established in 2006
    [ cPanel Varnish Nginx Plugin ] - Enhance LiteSpeed and Apache Performance
    www.unixy.net - Los Angeles | Houston | Atlanta | Rotterdam
    Love to help pro bono (time permitting). joe > unixy.net

This is good news to me. It is always a sign of a good company that innovates with new and different pricing models than the norm. This is the kind of offering that can be disruptive in an industry.

Quote Originally Posted by UNIXy View Post
    I don't think it should be surprising. People are already familiar with OnApp. so I think it takes away some of the mysteriousness that makes people want to inquire about a deployment like Steadfast's. Building a cloud is no small engineering feat nonetheless.

Congratulations to Steadfast on the launch!

Regards
    Joe
    sure, there are many OnApp installs out there, but the way Steadfast has incl. both SAS and SATA storage in the mix from the getgo is fairly unique - and the order option to "Allocate resources to each VM independently" is pretty cool too.
    Ditlev Bredahl. CEO,
    OnApp.com & SolusVM.com + Cloud.net & CDN.net