Moving hosts--recommendations?

I've been with Hosting.com since 2007 on a VPS server. A few weeks back they announced that they're not going to accept new customers for VPS hosting, and that they're raising their price on my hosting from $105 a month to $250. If I want to move to one of their Cloud servers, the price will be $350.

I didn't like that treatment, so I opened an account at Rackspace for $250 a month. The server has much more than I need, but I can't get it to function. I have a Windows 2005 database that needs to be migrated through IIS6 to IIS7. No matter what I do or what tech support does, it doesn't work. There's also a problem with installing my stats program, and the SmarterStats tech support says they can't figure out what the problem would be, as I've done everything 100% correctly in installing the software.

Anyway, I thought the best thing would be to start over with a fresh server, but Rackspace will only provide just so much tech support, and it's not enough to get everything installed properly. I don't know how to do a lot of things, and I'll probably just mess it up again.

They referred me up with a website migration company that wanted $800 to $1500 to move my site from the VPS to the Cloud server.

This is nuts.

Is there a Windows hosting company that's reliable, has good 24/7 phone tech support, and gives you a server with the basic operating software installed, rather than giving you puzzle pieces?

Thanks for any replies.

I've been with Hosting.com since 2007 on a VPS server. A few weeks back they announced that they're not going to accept new customers for VPS hosting, and that they're raising their price on my hosting from $105 a month to $250. If I want to move to one of their Cloud servers, the price will be $350.
    That sounds ridiculous, almost a 150% price increase.

Try the folks at totalserversolutions.com for website migration services, they might do it cheaper. And find a different provider if Rackspace's managed solutions can't even do a simple task such as migrating your web site.

Take a look at gigenet.com they have good feedback.

Do you need vps for windows or dedicated server? hostgator windows server come with a bunch of features such as sql server and smarterbundles etc. Dedicatednow is another recommended dedicated server company.

There are so many hosts out there that will treat you great just do your research and you will find a good host. Talk to your new host before ordering also. Yes there are tons of hosts with your requirements just do your research before ordering!

Quote Originally Posted by shell-box View Post
    There are so many hosts out there that will treat you great just do your research and you will find a good host. Talk to your new host before ordering also. Yes there are tons of hosts with your requirements just do your research before ordering!
    Yes, but it's hard to know who's good and who's not. For as long as I can remember, Rackspace was all anybody talked about. Now that I'm with them, I find people everywhere slamming them.

I didn't realize that Hostmysite.com was still around. I thought they had been bought out by Hosting.com, but it turns out they bought Hosting.com. Hostmysite still has shared servers, and they've added packages with much more disk space and RAM. Everything I need is right there, and they said they'd handle migrating the database to IIS7, as well as other tasks I'm not able to do. And the hosting cost is slightly less than $50 a month.

The only thing I don't like about not having a VPS or Cloud server is not being able to get into the server with Remote Desktop, but I suppose I can have the tech support people get in to do what's needed.

I was extremely happy with Hostmysite. If they haven't changed, I still will be.

Hello,
    I recommend you to check WHT advertisement section,
    http://www.webhostingtalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=104

There's alot of deals there.

Quote Originally Posted by routeandport View Post
    Hello,
    I recommend you to check WHT advertisement section,
    http://www.webhostingtalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=104

There's alot of deals there.
    I agree. You can check the ads section first and then come back here if you need to clarify things about the provider you chose.

Quote Originally Posted by WireNine View Post
    Try the folks at totalserversolutions.com for website migration services, they might do it cheaper.
    TSS guys are great but I don't think they support Windows or MSSQL. You can always ask though.
    SceneGroup.net - Providing a better web hosting experience since 2001
    Shared Web Hosting, VPS, Managed VPS, Dedicated Servers and Managed Dedicated Servers

www.scenegroup.net