Ebay + Magento = Sinister?

As you may have read, eBay has acquired the E-Commerce platform Magento.

I see this as very strange indeed, do you think eBay could have some sort of sinister motive for this move?

Do you think they may try to alter the license to become a stronger market leader?

Interesting... Discuss!

Can be good too, bringing in lot of resources for magneto.

Bad news... not expected one.

It is very strange indeed, Magento is one of the best eCommerce software platform. Ebay will definitely gets benefited from this acquisition.

Quote Originally Posted by Henry wilson View Post
    It is very strange indeed, Magento is one of the best eCommerce software platform. Ebay will definitely gets benefited from this acquisition.
    I am afraid of people who are competiting in small with eBay using Magento.

Anything involving eBay or PayPal = < $ .
    Hosting is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're gonna get.

I'm waiting in anticipation about the effect of this. This will be very interesting.

allyson,
    << Signatures are to be set up via profiles only >>
    Last edited by writespeak; 06-13-2011 at 11:50 AM.

Does this mean we have to pay more? Hmmmmmm... smelling fish here.. lol..

Sounds like eBay will assimilate Magento Go the cloud based part. Looks like maybe that's what they planned all along from the start when they launched it. eBay bought 49% in early 2010 and kept it a secret. Then a year later in early 2011 they officially announced they were the ones and right around that time Magento Go launched.

Makes sense they would keep Enterprise and Community as stand alone software you can install yourself. Big names (and big money) in Ent edition. They aren't going to put their stores in the cloud and eBay won't want to loose the prestige of having them nor the rev stream from them. Community provides free support, documentation, development, ideas, etc.. But Go, well that does look like a bait and switch all along.

They might either sink the magento ship as it poses a direct threat to their business with people buying direct from merchants OR they may want to resell it to their existing user base of sellers or power sellers (I wonder how they would make money taking people out of eBay though).

Magento is under an open source license. They can stop developing it. But they can't kill it. The community is too large. It will be picked up, maintained and ebay can't do a thing about it.

Quote Originally Posted by cheezus View Post
    Sounds like eBay will assimilate Magento Go the cloud based part. Looks like maybe that's what they planned all along from the start when they launched it. eBay bought 49% in early 2010 and kept it a secret. Then a year later in early 2011 they officially announced they were the ones and right around that time Magento Go launched.

Makes sense they would keep Enterprise and Community as stand alone software you can install yourself. Big names (and big money) in Ent edition. They aren't going to put their stores in the cloud and eBay won't want to loose the prestige of having them nor the rev stream from them. Community provides free support, documentation, development, ideas, etc.. But Go, well that does look like a bait and switch all along.
    Go is a bait and switch? I just signed up with Go. So it is not a good idea to use Magento Go for my online stores?