Thread: Need a host

Need a host

I'm a web dev. I'm just getting out of college and I find myself needing to get some hosting for a portfolio site. I'm not exactly sure what else I'll be using the hosting for right now but I'm sure it will be used for more than just portfolio in the future. It has to be located in USA/Canada.

I was recommended by a friend to a local hosting company Dynamichosting.biz. There "unlimited" plan for $9.99/m (annually) caught my attention but after working on their server for a client I have found their server somewhat slow on loading media. But on the plus side you never have to worry about space or bandwidth issues.

So here's where I'm at, I'm looking to see if I can get a better server with specs where I don't have to worry about BW or space, that performs a bit better. I plan to buy annually on a budget of ~$120, so pretty much $10/m. VPS/Shared, it doesn't matter. I'm just looking around to see if I can find anything else, otherwise I'll just go with dynamichosting.

Thanks guys!

I'm a web dev. I'm just getting out of college and I find myself needing to get some hosting for a portfolio site. I'm not exactly sure what else I'll be using the hosting for right now but I'm sure it will be used for more than just portfolio in the future. It has to be located in USA/Canada.
    Are you requiring it within both regions or just one of or within either region?

This certainly should not be an issue, quite a few reliable and inexpensive solutions for what you will require especially for a "Portfolio" site.

I was recommended by a friend to a local hosting company Dynamichosting.biz. There "unlimited" plan for $9.99/m (annually) caught my attention but after working on their server for a client I have found their server somewhat slow on loading media. But on the plus side you never have to worry about space or bandwidth issues.
    Well not really, there is always going to be a hard limit on what you can use. There is no such thing as "Unlimited Space or Bandwidth", sooner or later there would be a limit so I would not get myself tangled up in with these such providers and for $10.00 a year you might be looking for trouble to be very honest with you.

So here's where I'm at, I'm looking to see if I can get a better server with specs where I don't have to worry about BW or space, that performs a bit better. I plan to buy annually on a budget of ~$120, so pretty much $10/m. VPS/Shared, it doesn't matter. I'm just looking around to see if I can find anything else, otherwise I'll just go with dynamichosting.
    You would probably be best starting off on a "Shared Provider" and then scaling as you need, personally your budget is quite fair for what you will be seeking, there are quite a few provdiers on this forum that will benefit you quite well under that price range.

Do you have any specific location within the US (ie; East Coast, Central, West Coast?).
    l Dedigeeks Shared Wordpress Dedicated Established 2006
    l Leading AUSTRALIAN Hosting Provider Sydney & Melbourne Datacentres
    l cPanel/WHM R1Soft Backups 24/7/365 Support SMS Hosting Alerts*
    l www.dedigeeks.com Managing Director Service Superstars

Quote Originally Posted by Sparrow-Sean View Post
    Are you requiring it within both regions or just one of or within either region?

This certainly should not be an issue, quite a few reliable and inexpensive solutions for what you will require especially for a "Portfolio" site.

Well not really, there is always going to be a hard limit on what you can use. There is no such thing as "Unlimited Space or Bandwidth", sooner or later there would be a limit so I would not get myself tangled up in with these such providers and for $10.00 a year you might be looking for trouble to be very honest with you.

You would probably be best starting off on a "Shared Provider" and then scaling as you need, personally your budget is quite fair for what you will be seeking, there are quite a few provdiers on this forum that will benefit you quite well under that price range.

Do you have any specific location within the US (ie; East Coast, Central, West Coast?).
    I meant USA OR Canada. I'm very aware nothing in unlimited, but I don't want to have something with like 10gb of space or something. I was looking through the hosting offer forum on here but there was just so many, I have no idea where to even begin

You are best jotting down several providers, researching them and then narrowing them down to you come to what you are looking for in terms of your requirements.

You are best grabbing (5) providers you take interest in and then narrow them down one by one basing them on what you are looking for
    l Dedigeeks Shared Wordpress Dedicated Established 2006
    l Leading AUSTRALIAN Hosting Provider Sydney & Melbourne Datacentres
    l cPanel/WHM R1Soft Backups 24/7/365 Support SMS Hosting Alerts*
    l www.dedigeeks.com Managing Director Service Superstars

Sting13,

You can try providers such as Cloudweb or downtownhost (I've seen a few good reviews popping up for both of these recently), in addition to this SpeedySparrow above also has a solid reputation.

As Sean has said, research them, bug their support and find out who you want to use.

100% avoid unlimited resources unless they provide you with the Schematics for their unlimited drives etc!
    Old School Web Hoster
    138Media LTD (Media and Consulting)

Quote Originally Posted by Sting13 View Post

Thanks guys!
    Unlimited is dangerous. I suggest avoiding that like the plague. Good luck!
    AS395558

After doing some research I'm leaning towards SharkSpace. With that 50% off promo it makes the Great White package $8.97, and comes with the most space/BW I've seen so far for that price.

That seems to be a good choice. Make sure you check for reviews here on WHT.
    CrocWeb Cloud - High Availability Cloud Website Hosting
    > NVMe Storage, LSCache, Redis, Global CDN, Unlimited SSL
    > Triple Data Replication, Automated Server Failover
    > Bad Bots, Malware, DDoS Protection

After doing some research I'm leaning towards SharkSpace. With that 50% off promo it makes the Great White package $8.97, and comes with the most space/BW I've seen so far for that price.
    Just remember.. you get what you pay for. Keep good backups.
    AS395558

Check the shared offers section and reviews, you will find a number of hosts who will meet your requirement.

Sting,

Shark space have been growing quite quickly and a few favourable reviews are slowly but surely coming onto WHT.

With a 50% promotion it does look like a good offer.

As long as they have plans to keep this sustainable, keeping sure servers don't get overloaded, they'll continue to grow into being a great host.
    Old School Web Hoster
    138Media LTD (Media and Consulting)

Shark space is a pretty good host and there prices are reasonable and the tech support is good.

I meant USA OR Canada. I'm very aware nothing in unlimited, but I don't want to have something with like 10gb of space or something. I was looking through the hosting offer forum on here but there was just so many, I have no idea where to even begin
    Thats actually a pretty decent amount of disk-space for a portfolio website. If I were you I would definitely do some research on the term "overselling" as those types of companies (claiming to offer unlimited diskspace or unrealistic amounts of diskspace) are the ones that are most likely to provide you with an unstable web hosting service. Just my two cents
    Looking for an awesome VPS Offer? CLICK HERE

"Knowing is not enough, we must apply. Willing is not enough, we must do." – Bruce Lee

I would recommend to avoid something that states unlimited bandwidth or disk space. It usually translates to poor backups or file type limitations in TOS. If someone is offering you unlimited disk space / bandwidth for a few dollars in shared hosting and same time you are asked 3 figures for a dedicated server with limited resources... well, we can all draw conclusions how reliable that shared hosting offer suddenly sounds like

With your budget you can find reliable (limited) shared hosting. Check the web hosting offers section for some nice promotion or email the host your interested in for an offer.
    SceneGroup.net - Providing a better web hosting experience since 2001
    Shared Web Hosting, VPS, Managed VPS, Dedicated Servers and Managed Dedicated Servers

www.scenegroup.net

Given that you only need a portfolio site, you don't need to be paying so much for what you may never get to use. Go for something simple.
    █▌ Cheapest Domain Registration Service & Shared Hosting Solutions .
    █▌ Skrill, Perfect Money, AdvCash, Webmoney,Monero, Neteller, BitCoin, Payeer, Crypto.
    █▌ Instant Domain Name Registration - Over 700+ Extensions x3reg.com!

As everyone has stated, unlimited can be no good. It's really only a marketing ploy. In my opinion, if you'll be needing much more than 10GB, a VPS (as you originally stated) may be a good idea.

When buying hosting just try to see through the marketing. It can save you a major headache in the long run.
    PlusWebHost.com - 24/7 Phone Support
    Enkompass Windows Hosting - cPanel NginX Linux Hosting
    100Mbps Uplink - +1-888-679-1333
    www.PlusWebHost.com

Just an update, I went with sharkspace. Got the "Great White" package for 50% off, so it worked out to be $8.97/m. Initial impressions: very satisfied. I was a bit confused about the free domain offer, so I contacted support and he told me to order and now pay, then he adjusted the price right there for me instead of having to post on WHT forum. I'd say within 1-2 hours the site was up and running with domain. Only thing I'd like to see is an email when server is setup and ready to go, I never received one. I just noticed that my domain was working so I figured out the server was online. Other than that small thing initial impressions are great!