Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

What free DNS host to use (EveryDNS is almost gone)

So I have several domain names registered through GoDaddy and I use EveryDNS for their free DNS services. EveryDNS, EditDNS and maybe others have been gobbled up by DynDNS and are no longer going to be free. DynDNS is charging an outrageous $29.95 per domain per year for DNS services.

So where do I go from here? I have started some digging and I hope that others can join in.

freedns.afraid.org offers free DNS services. I could not tell how many of my own domains were free.

clouddns.com offers free DNS services. You can do 3 for free then it is $9 a year for unlimited.

namecheap.com is a registrar charging $9 per domain but they offer full DNS services for each domain. They also have free DNS services where you do not have to host your domain there. I am interested to see what their interface looks like and how many you can host.

Chime in!

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1054844

I am in the same bandwagon

So far, i am testing http://dns.he.net

Very cool, I will monitor the other thread as well.

I have created a free account at namecheap.com and am going to test out their free DNS services. If they work good I may transfer to them from godaddy as well. Godaddy is $12 a year and I can't afford the privacy since it's something like $15 a year. Namecheap looks to be $9 + $2 for privacy.

DynDNS is charging an outrageous $29.95 per domain per year for DNS services.
    $ 29.95 !!!

As i know, also you must pay $ for migration to dyndns :-)
    Your Health Encyclopedia
    Medical and health consumer information resources containing comprehensive and unbiased information in patient-friendly language

Quote Originally Posted by 3-rx View Post
    $ 29.95 !!!
    As i know, also you must pay $ for migration to dyndns :-)
    They take the $4.95 migration cost off of any "services" that you pay for. With multiple other good free solutions I don't see how DynDNS can charge those prices.

Quote Originally Posted by pcm2a View Post
    freedns.afraid.org offers free DNS services
    For free, you will have to share/let other users use your domain(s). If you want your domain(s) to be private, donation is required.

try godaddy's own (free) dns, since the domains are registered there.
    Sneaky Little Hobbitses

Quote Originally Posted by CD Burnt View Post
    try godaddy's own (free) dns, since the domains are registered there.
    A couple years ago when I needed DNS services godaddy did not offer much in that regard. Do they now offer full control, just like any of these other places, for adding/deleting/updating A/CNAME/MX/etc entries (I don't use godaddy for any hosting)?

As it stands I am testing out one of the domains over on namecheap.com and if successful I may move that domain over to them since I can get the privacy stuff for $2. I also havn't read up on them to see if they have been around long or suck it.

U can also transfer to name.com and there's a coupons for free privacy also I just recently transferred to edgedirector...$15 for unlimited domains and 1 million queries combined

BTW,
    Quote Originally Posted by pcm2a View Post
    clouddns.com
    I just tried to look at that and was redirected to Rackspace.com.
    Are you sure you spell that correctly ?

Thx.

Besides the ones mentioned so far, here are some more free DNS hosts:

dnsexit.com
    pointhq.com
    sitelutions.com
    xname.org

You can also get a few free domains from some paid DNS providers such as dnspark.com, zoneedit.com, and zonomi.com. Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by TriStar View Post
    BTW,

I just tried to look at that and was redirected to Rackspace.com.
    Are you sure you spell that correctly ?

Thx.
    I think he meant to say cloudns.net.

Don't use xname.org - the worst service I've ever seen
    Your Health Encyclopedia
    Medical and health consumer information resources containing comprehensive and unbiased information in patient-friendly language

At some point you have to think that "free" is just not worth it if the site matters to you and just switch to a company like www.dnsmadeeasy.com... That is just soooo cheap that it is not worth your while to look elsewhere.

For free free free service (if you have no budget to do anything) I would suggest sitelutions.com or godaddy.com.

Which reminds me, I should've added that while all the DNS hosts I mentioned have been around for years and are responsible for thousands of domains, the only ones of those I've used personally and can vouch for are Sitelutions, DNSPark, and ZoneEdit.

I've used personally and can vouch for are Sitelutions, DNSPark, and ZoneEdit.
    THanks for you recomendations.
    Your Health Encyclopedia

MyDomain.com offers free DNS services for domains not registered with them. They probably not as comprehensive as some of the other services, but may be good enough. I used to use their service, but not for a couple of years. They were stealing traffic at one time, but I think they stopped doing that about the time I no longer required DNS services.
    Signature Under Construction.

I have a question about Namecheap's DNS service. I have a domain transferring over to them any day now, and I don't have a host set up for it. If I chose to have their free DNS, will my site be hosted there for free? I'm a n00b at some of this, especially the DNS end.

Quote Originally Posted by Oklina View Post
    I have a question about Namecheap's DNS service. I have a domain transferring over to them any day now, and I don't have a host set up for it. If I chose to have their free DNS, will my site be hosted there for free? I'm a n00b at some of this, especially the DNS end.
    No. We provide free DNS services so you can set your domain name up to resolve/point to wherever you please. Our hosting plans are separate though and you need to purchase one of them.
    Matthew Russell | Namecheap
    Twitter: @mattdrussell

www.easywp.com - True Managed WordPress, made easy

I can personally vouch for Cloudflare's DNS service, it's free and just 'works'.

xname works fine for me

I've used it for secondary DNS for years without a single glitch. I have my own primary/authoritative servers for the master.

I've also used xname.org and haven't had any cause for complaint.

Quote Originally Posted by Wintereise View Post
    I can personally vouch for Cloudflare's DNS service, it's free and just 'works'.
    So true! Using Cloudflare as well

EntryDNS - free dns hosting

There is a pretty new and very simple free DNS hosting service - https://entrydns.net/ - EntryDNS

Quote Originally Posted by BuffaloBill View Post
    At some point you have to think that "free" is just not worth it if the site matters to you
    This is FUD. Facts are, there are free services out there with equal or better reliability than commercial ones, numbers at hand.

For free free free service (if you have no budget to do anything) I would suggest sitelutions.com or godaddy.com.
    GoDaddy has a super cheap DNS hosting offer, if you fit in its (reasonable) traffic caps, but their CEO shoots elephants.
    BuddyNS.com -- World's fastest secondary DNS & DNS replication service.

HE has a nice free version for DNS hosting. And they are very stable have a simple non bloated web UI.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast