Question website very slow on Hostgator

Hi all,
    I'm having a problem with my website being very slow on Hostgator.
    The slowest load times are in the morning hours (around 8am-11am pacific time). I'm about to launch subscription service on my web site and do direct marketing to potential customer and slow loading times would be definitely very bad for attracting customers. Hostgator responded promptly to my request, but basically told me all their tracing and tests show that everything is ok. I'm not sure if I should move my site to a different host or try to work with Hostgator. My suspicion is that a lot of traffic for the server I'm on is coming from Asia and due to time difference morning in Los Angeles are busy time for browsing from Asian customers. In any case, I don't have experience with those types of problems and hoping someone could give me advice or point me in the right direction.
    Thanks in advance for your advice.

Have you tried doing a traceroute when the site loads slow? Did you record the load when the site was slow, etc. etc?

What did hostgator say when this occurred? Or was the answer just "all is ok"? Obviously, there's something going on if you experiencing slow load times and they should be able to help you figure out where it is (e.g. it could be your ISP, etc.).
    www.idologic.com - Reseller, VPS and dedicated hosting - Friendly Customer Service - DirectAdmin - cPanel - InterWorx

Hostgator over the last few months has had some pretty slow days. I've got 2 different shared hosting plans with them and it seems to be more of a common problem. They say they have been doing some things to prevent DDOS attacks but who really knows.

I also have the same problem with my client's sites hosted by hostgator. I don't know if he contacted his host about the prob. For the past few weeks, some of his sites are down. And now, the loading time is really slow.

If my site is having problems with load speed and the provider will not address the issue or tells me everything is OK on their end and then lets it go, I would find a new provider. It all comes down to you the site owner and what you want. Are you OK with your site having slow periods and losing business from your potential customers seeing a slow site or not even getting to your site at all? Lots of options out there if you are not happy with current place or getting the results you deserve.

trustedURL: Hostgator's reply was that though they see some slow times from the traceroute I sent them, their own tests show that there's no problem on their end. As I'm an engineer myself, I've tested from different networks and different cities (NYC and LA) and I get slow load times in mornings and late evenings and I'm pretty sure this has nothing to do with my network connection, but is some overcrowding or smth else on Hostgator's site. I'm waiting for them to respond, but in the meantime, can anyone suggest what should I ask them if I decide to call customer service: should I ask to be moved to a different server, free upgrade to higher tier hosting? If I don't get this resolved, I will probably choose another hosting company. I was considering HawkHost, but I need SSL and I don't want to install it myself and HawkHost does not sell SLLs.
    Anyhow, looks like others experience slow times as well, so maybe it's just overcrowding of their servers? I know this can happen with any provider, but I was really hoping that Hostgator was a reliable one

I was considering HawkHost, but I need SSL and I don't want to install it myself and HawkHost does not sell SLLs.
    We offer SSL certificates and will indeed install it for you - just submit a ticket to our support department .

http://www.hawkhost.com/Sslcertificate/compare
    Cody R.
    Hawk Host Inc. Proudly Serving websites since 2004.
    Let's Encrypt Sponsor.

Quote Originally Posted by aleksla View Post
    so maybe it's just overcrowding of their servers? I know this can happen with any provider, but I was really hoping that Hostgator was a reliable one
    Not saying that this is necessarily the case, but anytime you go with a provider that is claiming to offer unlimited diskspace/bandwidth you run the risk of landing on a server that is overcrowded (usually do to people attempting to host sites that should not be hosted within a shared environment).

What is the average load for the server you are on while you are experiencing slow connections? If you do not know how to check the load of the server, you can do this by logging into your cpanel and clicking (view server stats).
    Need Web Hosting? Click Here to Learn Why You Should Switch To FernGullyGraphics
    FernGullyGraphics --- 426 14th St. Suite #115 --- Modesto, California --- 95354

Need Business Cards? Click Here

CodyRo: I'm glad HawkHost provides SSL. When I look at the link you provided and click on ? next to Private SSL it states in bold font that 'HawkHost does not provide SSL certificates'. Perhaps the info is outdates?
    FernGullyGraphics: Actually, I'm using $10/month plan with limits on disk space and bandwidth -that's why it's so disappointing to see slow load times. Thanks for the tip on server load, I'll check that ASAP

CodyRo: I'm glad HawkHost provides SSL. When I look at the link you provided and click on ? next to Private SSL it states in bold font that 'HawkHost does not provide SSL certificates'.
    Ha - nice catch! We recently started offering SSL certificates so this was an oversight on our part. I'll have this fixed .
    Cody R.
    Let's Encrypt Sponsor.

should I ask to be moved to a different server, free upgrade to higher tier hosting?
    If the cause is network related, then moving to a different server isn't necessarily going to fix it (or possibly only temporarily).
    www.idologic.com - Reseller, VPS and dedicated hosting - Friendly Customer Service - DirectAdmin - cPanel - InterWorx

FernGullyGraphics: Actually, I'm using $10/month plan with limits on disk space and bandwidth -that's why it's so disappointing to see slow load times. Thanks for the tip on server load, I'll check that ASAP
    Oh ok, are you using one of their reseller plans? I thought all of their shared hosting were set-up to claim unlimited diskspace/bandwidth?
    Need Web Hosting? Click Here to Learn Why You Should Switch To FernGullyGraphics

FernGully: you may be right: I'm using their Baby Plan and I thought there were limits, but looks like there are none. In any case, do you think reseller account is better (I don't really know what it is)
    CodyRo: what company SSLs do you sell? Just curious.

CodyRo: what company SSLs do you sell? Just curious.
    GlobalSign (http://www.globalsign.com/)
    Cody R.
    Let's Encrypt Sponsor.

FernGully: you may be right: I'm using their Baby Plan and I thought there were limits, but looks like there are none. In any case, do you think reseller account is better
    Not necessarily, reseller plans are generally for people who are looking to either manage multiple cpanel accounts or for people who are looking to start-up their own web hosting business.

My suggestion would be to take a look at the load of the server and if the problem continues, I'd either request to be moved to a different server (with a lighter load) or simply switch providers.

@aleksla SSL easy to install on cPanel, HawkHost on West coast

@aleksla An SSL cert is very easy to install, if your web site is on cPanel. I got a free SSL cert, from StartCom, in Israel, and installed it myself, on a web site that is on a Shared cPanel server. The free SSL cert, like the majority of them, involves an Intermediate certificate, so it is a little harder to install, but, if you are an Engineer and if you are patient (lots of documentation on the web) you can install the SSL cert yourself, in 5 or 10 minutes.

I am contemplating moving, from 2 accounts on Shared cPanel servers, which involve some AddOn Domains, to a Reseller account.
    9 1/2 years with this provider and they do not offer Reseller accounts or I wouldn't consider moving to another provider.

One of the providers I have on a *very* short list, is HawkHost, which is one you mentioned. I believe one of the DCs they have servers in is SoftLayer in Seattle. I believe if you move from HostGator, you might consider HawkHost and specify the Seattle DC and hopefully better connectivity for your visitors in Asia. GL

Quote Originally Posted by Lanny View Post
    One of the providers I have on a *very* short list, is HawkHost, which is one you mentioned. I believe one of the DCs they have servers in is SoftLayer in Seattle. I believe if you move from HostGator, you might consider HawkHost and specify the Seattle DC and hopefully better connectivity for your visitors in Asia. GL
    We recently opened presence in San Jose which is also proving to be nice for our customers in Asia. It may also be worth noting if you do not specify a location we'll put you in one that is closest / best routing for your region .

Quote Originally Posted by Lanny
    @aleksla An SSL cert is very easy to install, if your web site is on cPanel. I got a free SSL cert, from StartCom, in Israel, and installed it myself, on a web site that is on a Shared cPanel server. The free SSL cert, like the majority of them, involves an Intermediate certificate, so it is a little harder to install, but, if you are an Engineer and if you are patient (lots of documentation on the web) you can install the SSL cert yourself, in 5 or 10 minutes.
    It's also worth noting StartCom Free SSL certificates are only valid for 30 days and must be renewed otherwise they'll expire / show a warning. If you purchase an SSL certificate through any provider it's usually good for a year up to five.
    Cody R.
    Let's Encrypt Sponsor.

StartCom free SSL cert is *FREE* :-)

Quote Originally Posted by CodyRo View Post
    <snip>
    It's also worth noting StartCom Free SSL certificates are only valid for 30 days and must be renewed otherwise they'll expire / show a warning. If you purchase an SSL certificate through any provider it's usually good for a year up to five.
    @Cody: The above information is *NOT* correct. I got a Free SSL cert from StartCom in Israel, during December 2009. Good for one (1) year.

I renewed it, during December 2010. Will expire during December 2011.

I have never paid anything to StartCom.

StartCom has excellent Support also.

The free SSL cert I got from StartCom has 256 bit encryption, which is better than most of the encrypted web sites I visit.

There are no browser warnings.

Anyone that is seeing slowness please provide your ticket number and I'll be happy to take a look. You should not be experiencing any time of slowness no matter what time of the day it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Lanny View Post
    @Cody: The above information is *NOT* correct. I got a Free SSL cert from StartCom in Israel, during December 2009. Good for one (1) year.

I renewed it, during December 2010. Will expire during December 2011.

I have never paid anything to StartCom.

StartCom has excellent Support also.

The free SSL cert I got from StartCom has 256 bit encryption, which is better than most of the encrypted web sites I visit.

There are no browser warnings.
    It looks like I didn't read carefully when I signed up with them awhile ago. Just to clarify you're required to verify your information every 30 days. The free certificate however is valid for a year.

# Personal StartCom SSL Cert
    Validity
    Not Before: Mar 30 07:43:39 2011 GMT
    Not After : Mar 30 19:11:14 2012 GMT
    From https://www.startssl.com/?app=25#1

20.) For how long are validations valid?
    Validations of domain names and email addresses are valid for 30 days. After the 30 days they must be re-validated.
    Identity and organization validations are valid for 350 days. After the validation period expires they must be re-validated exactly the same way as the first time.

The validation period must not be mistaken with the validity of certificates which may be one and two years, depending on the verification level.
    Cody R.
    Let's Encrypt Sponsor.

To hostgator: ticket # is FGY-15428474
    Thanks for your help

I'm having a problem with my website being very slow on Hostgator.
    The slowest load times are in the morning hours (around 8am-11am pacific time).
    Have you checked server load in cpanel?
    I have a small reseller account with HG, don't notice any slowness.
    Maybe because most websites have little traffic and i hardly visit/check website every day.
    Last edited by Peter_Net; 06-06-2011 at 10:32 PM.

Hi Aleksla,

I'm almost positive the slowdown you're seeing is a result of all the remote content your sites is loading. Your site is going to load as fast or in this case as slow as the 3rd party data you're pulling from.

You can see test this out by disabling all the remote content and you should the problem instantly resolve itself. I've updated your ticket with one of the sources you're pulling from that seems to be the problem.

Hostgator: The remote content is loaded only the first time user is visiting my site - it's not being loaded again unless user closes the browser.
    I've tested this continuously by connecting to the site and refreshing and result is always the same - slow in the morning and then ok in the afternoon. I've been sending tickets back and forth with you guys for three days and not once did you look at the server. Instead you are trying to find fault with my site or my internet connection. Your own response said( I quote from the ticket:
    ". Doing a scan with YSlow which is a firefox plugin that tests for issues that may cause slowdown is showing an A rating which means the programming looks good. Is the issue ongoing for you? "
    Will you check your server load or should I just move to another provider???

My client had the same problem, he subscribed shared hosting and hosted 10 websites, the websites was given "database error" daily morning time, then he subscribed another account and shifted few sites to new account.

That more then likely explains why went I first went to your site it took four+ seconds for it to load, and upon refreshing it loaded instantly. The first thing we checked was the server and it's load history. You're on a very healthy server with very low loads even at the times you mentioned.

We aren't able to reproduce the slowness at this time since you said yourself it only seems to happen at 8am-11am. We have your ticket set to reopen at this time in order to see it in action when the slowness is taking place.

As far as your code I looked this over with our CTO as well as few other programmers and the first thing one of them said was "spaghetti code". Our CTO then began to point out multiple issues with it which I'll happily email you about, but honestly the code issues shouldn't be why it's slowing down just make it much more difficult to track down the issue.

The remote content can very well still be the issue even if you only have it load for first time visitors. It all depends how everything is coded which is pretty time consuming to figure out with how it's coded. I'm going to email you a few follow up questions to help speed things thing.

Hi Caren,

Did they ever open a ticket on the issue?

This would be one of two things......

The server was using over 150 total MySQL connections which is very rare and would be solved if a ticket is opened with us.

Their account had 25 SQL connections open simultaneous due to their DB not being indexed properly. (this is very common)

Hostgator: how can the slow load issue be related to my coding if it's slow in the AM and ok in the afternoon? My code does not change, but load to your server very well might!

Agreed, please read what I already wrote.....

"but honestly the code issues shouldn't be why it's slowing down just make it much more difficult to track down the issue."

I emailed you over a few questions but we're most likely not going to be able to solve it until we can reproduce when it happens which will be in the morning.

Hostgator: how can the slow load issue be related to my coding if it's slow in the AM and ok in the afternoon? My code does not change, but load to your server very well might!
    I think that you are not only one on the server and in the one part of the day some kind of other script must be running (cronjob or something like that) and then no. And due to that you have what you have.
    WebIntellects - Fully Managed Dedicated and Virtual Private Servers since1999.
    WebhostGIANT - LOW Cost Hosting

Hostgator: I haven't received any questions yet.

It was definitely emailed, please check your spam filters / folder. I emailed you a second time as well as responded with same content in your ticket with us.

got it. It was in the spam folder ( don't know why). Just replied to you. Thanks

I suggest you make a tracert to your website as well, you can also ask your customer to trace on their end if the speed slow and then report to hostgator. If it's the issue on hostgator and can't be fixed, then it's time to change service. regards.