What type of hosting do i need?

Hi all,
    Im looking for some advice regarding what type of hosting i need.

I will be hosting 5-10 websites all of which i own myself (maybe a few friends websites also)

So far i know what 4 of the websites will be
    1- Magento Store
    2- Simple Blog
    3- Forum
    4- Simple Shopping software (oursource)

Now i need something UK based as my most my clients will be from UK/EU,

I would say around 5GB Space, bandwidth i would say shouldn't need to be too high currently.

Another big thing is that i need custom nameservers (my companys web-address) so that it gives a more professional whois.

Hope you can help

A UK VPS with cPanel/WHM all day long
    IT & Hosting Solutions Rotherham - Virtual6 Ltd
    IT Distributor | IT Manufacturer | Hosted Products | Business IT Support

Quote Originally Posted by ukscservers View Post
    A UK VPS with cPanel/WHM all day long
    Wont a VPS be serious overkill? I though something like a reseller would be okay

You should be good with a reseller hosting.

Also,you should check reseller web hosting offers section.

Best regards!
    Tiger Host | Shared Hosting - Reseller Hosting - Domain Registration
    ---> 24/7/365 Live Chat & Help Desk Support.
    ---> cPanel 11,Softaculous,Fantastico & more.
    ---> http://www.tiger-host.net

No 5-10 Websites on a VPS would be fine. Were you considering a reseller? You said you need private nameservers, why not own the entire server? (Or at least part of it )

VPS come so cheap nowdays its worth the extra bit of money for the resources.

No 5-10 Websites on a VPS would be fine. Were you considering a reseller? You said you need private nameservers, why not own the entire server? (Or at least part of it )

VPS come so cheap nowdays its worth the extra bit of money for the resources.
    Yeh, but looking at the VPS it comes with added techincal head-ache! also the power your getting is in my eyes lower, The Private-namerservers are just for the professional look on whois.

Re-sellers come much cheaper for around $3-5usd a month you can get one with the specs which i require?

Another thing i like the look of is re-seller cloud hosting?

Well its entirely down to you, just my opinion. The power you are getting is in no way lower btw not by a long shot.

And cloud hosting has its faults, seems to just be a current craze with more downfalls than positives imo.

Well its entirely down to you, just my opinion. The power you are getting is in no way lower btw not by a long shot.

And cloud hosting has its faults, seems to just be a current craze with more downfalls than positives imo.
    Well what sort of VPS would i need? specs wise?

What benifits would it have over a reseller

The possibility to install anything you/your clients require such as softaculous, fantastico, whmsonic, rvsitebuiler and countless more. Dedicated memory/resources. Completely white-label all resellers have flaws in this somewhere. Not to mention installing accelerators etc for your php based scripts, which i see most of your sites are.

And as i said before prices at the moment just keep on getting lower.

And in reply to your stats question. 512MB to 1024MB dedicated ram with cPanel/WHM. Most VPS have at least 40GB HD on lower end plans which is enough for you and alot higher bandwidth allowances.

Some people will say oh you can do with a reseller but this is just my opinion for the difference in money you might aswell go with VPS and have room to expand.

There will never be anyone on it execpt me or a few friend which i would look after anyway

I recommend starting with a Reseller account first. Only upgrade to VPS if needed.
    HostXNow - Shared Web Hosting | Semi Dedicated Hosting | Enterprise Reseller Hosting | VPS Hosting

Like i said its your choice

reseller hosting will be good for you

A decent shared hosting will be fine for you.
    Reseller is for those who practically share their allotment in the server with their clients and take money from them.
    Reseller hosting is more costlier and not worth the money for those who are'nt businessmen.

VPS is now actually cheaper then a reseller AND you can stick WHM on there too. So its actually a better deal.

I would personally go for cloud (what i'm doing at the moment) as it does allow allot more room to grow.
    Garbott Ltd - Exceptional web development, hosting & consultancy services

If you can afford it, a small VPS would be perfect. What is your budget ?

Quote Originally Posted by 008Rohit View Post
    A decent shared hosting will be fine for you.
    Reseller is for those who practically share their allotment in the server with their clients and take money from them.
    Reseller hosting is more costlier and not worth the money for those who are'nt businessmen.
    He is going to host some of his friend's websites as well. So, if he gets a shared hosting, he won't be able to give them their own control panel. So, shared hosting would not be wise for him. Reseller is not only for businessmen. People who want to give hosting to family or friends can also use reseller hosting.

Anyway, I think that a reseller will work for you. But if your blog or forum is getting huge traffic, then you should get a VPS.
    Sajid Iftekhar - Web Design Portfolio

Quote Originally Posted by Sajid-HostX10 View Post
    He is going to host some of his friend's websites as well. So, if he gets a shared hosting, he won't be able to give them their own control panel. So, shared hosting would not be wise for him. Reseller is not only for businessmen. People who want to give hosting to family or friends can also use reseller hosting.

Anyway, I think that a reseller will work for you. But if your blog or forum is getting huge traffic, then you should get a VPS.
    Do his friends really need control panel access?
    If their sites are based on any web app such as wordpress or any forum software they should be happy getting an admin account there rather than getting own control panel.
    cPanel is needed for html sites though.

I would say reseller hosting would be the best given you are looking for custom name servers. most reseller hosts can do this is requested. and besides alot of the better ones do it in 1 small cost to you and gives you all the features you could need for administration.
    █ MadDogHost- The UK's Top Dog WebHost
    █ Features: UK Based Shared Hosting | UK Besed Linux VPS's | Web Developments
    https://www.MadDogHost.com

WizzKid no need vps here - for what? :/

Normal reseller account or even well planned website account/s would do the job for you (in some ways even better

<<snipped>>

good luck and cheers
    Last edited by foobic; 06-09-2011 at 09:03 PM. Reason: snipped self-promo

sharehoting is enough for you if your websites are not big.
    VPS is a little bit troublesome for you to setup and your clients to manage it.
    Reseller makes not different if this is just for yourself

I am also suggesting you to search for hosting reseller and also follow their terms and conditions of payment in order to make contract with the right hosting reseller.

You may also refer some other service providers like VPS and DNS service providers for this purpose.