* Looking for reliable EU colo - 1 Rack, 150 Mbps, 20 Amp, Roof Space

Hello.

I am looking for recommendations for a collocation provider in EU. We were initially looking right in the Middle East but realized the bandwidth costs would be way too high. The reason we need to be in this area is because there are certain satellite feeds that are only available around the Mediterranean, and not available in northern EU. So closer to the Mediterranean is better.

We need:

- 1 Rack (space for 10 3U servers)
    - 20 Amps
    - 150 Mbps (unmetered or about 50 TB/month)
    - Roof Space for 4-5 satellites
    - Cable drop from satellites to our rack
    - Remote hands
    - Low latency to our DC in Dallas, TX (Softlayer)

Let me know if any questions.

Thanks for your help!

Is the uk ok?

Quote Originally Posted by rezilient View Post
    - 20 Amps
    At what voltage ?
    Rob Golding Astutium Ltd - UK based ICANN Accredited Domain Registrar - proud to accept BitCoins
    Buying Web Hosts and Domain Registrars Today @ hostacquisitions.co.uk
    UK Web Hosting | UK VPS | UK Dedicated Servers | ADSL/FTTC | Backup/DR | Cloud
    UK Colocation | Reseller Accounts | IPv6 Transit | Secondary MX | DNS | WHMCS Modules

Hi guys,

Yes UK is fine.

Regarding voltage I'm pretty sure the server we're using can support both 220v and 120v. I understand 220v is more efficient right, if I have a choice?

I'm surprised I haven't seen many recommendations yet. Is the roof space a difficult thing to get?

Thanks.

Hi

What do you mean by roof space? We Colo our racks with www.icecolo.com who are a superb UK Based data centre with the latest tech! I highly recommend you contact them the rates are really good too.
    The Hosting Heroes Ltd - over 20 years in the UK hosting industry.
    Website Hosting | Reseller Hosting | Cloud VPS Servers | Dedicated Servers | VPS Reseller for WHMCS
    www.thehostingheroes.com

Quote Originally Posted by CyberHostPro View Post
    Hi

What do you mean by roof space? We Colo our racks with www.icecolo.com who are a superb UK Based data centre with the latest tech! I highly recommend you contact them the rates are really good too.
    For satellite dishes and/or antennas.

I'll check them out, ty.

Hi guys,

Yes UK is fine.

Regarding voltage I'm pretty sure the server we're using can support both 220v and 120v. I understand 220v is more efficient right, if I have a choice?
    In Europe it would be 220-230v. If you calculated the 20A based on US facts, you probably need 10A in Europe.

I'm surprised I haven't seen many recommendations yet. Is the roof space a difficult thing to get?

Thanks.
    Not many people have this. These kind of things need to be checked on a per case basis. How big are the sats? How many m2 would they use? These are questions that will be asked before it is possible to get a quote anywhere.

Also keep in mind that roof space might not be cheap.
    YISP - High Bandwidth dedicated servers and colocation in YISP-AS(Amsterdam)!

Quote Originally Posted by Rens View Post
    Also keep in mind that roof space might not be cheap.
    Might you be better off feeding the satellite video streams in over the net, rather than directly at the DC? Particularly so if you have a load of unused incoming bandwidth.

That would also allow you to colo anywhere you liked, rather than be limited by satellite footprints.

Presumably you have permission to redistribute the channels you are collecting (if that's what you are doing).....?
    Advania Thor Data Centre Iceland - www.thordc.com
    High Spec Colocation and Dedicated Servers, powered by cheap, abundant and 100% renewable energy.
    Enterprise grade hosting, ISO27001 accredited for security, and all at fantastic pricing.

brian.rae@thordc.com

I understand 220v is more efficient right, if I have a choice?
    Not "more efficient" no, it's all about the Watts... you'd need less _amps_ if you increase the _volts_

Nigh-on impossible at "real" datacentres for a variety of reasons...

1. most of the people on WHT aren't datacentres, or even direct clients of datacentres, so the "pool" of people to advise/recommend is tiny compared to the 97.3% of members who are just resllers of hosting

2. roof space (particularly in the EU) is limited and therefore if available is at a significant cost

3. there are major legal, planning, government, location and licence issues with items external to any business premises

4. it can take _years_ to get landlord permission to alter a building, attach external poles, mount aerials etc - the legal fees alone can easily go over £100k and that's *IF* the permission is ever granted

5. a lot of the requests for roof space are "dodgy" at best, revolving around attempts to break licencing / distribution restrictions of broadcasts etc

So the question is, how badly do you need it, and what are you prepared to pay for it ?
    Rob Golding Astutium Ltd - UK based ICANN Accredited Domain Registrar - proud to accept BitCoins
    UK Colocation | Reseller Accounts | IPv6 Transit | Secondary MX | DNS | WHMCS Modules

Yes and no. The power itself is not more efficient at higher voltages - the power supplies are.
    AS395558

Quote Originally Posted by othellotech View Post
    Nigh-on impossible at "real" datacentres for a variety of reasons...
    Not hard and at quite reasonable costs if you look in the right locations

Roof space is available on Telehouse North in the UK although it was starting to get quite full when I was up there a couple of years ago.

Telecity Meridian Gate (also London Docklands) used to sell roof space in the former Redbus days so they would be worth contacting as well as a starting point.
    Last edited by ijg0; 06-06-2011 at 07:36 PM.

Have you take a look in the colo offer section in the Forum?
    WWW.NAUCUM.NET
    COLOCATION/HOUSING ´´´ IP-TRANSIT ...AND MORE
    tel: +49 1635000676 ´´´´´ eMail: info@naucum.net
    Frankfurt, Germany

Quote Originally Posted by ijg0 View Post
    Telecity Meridian Gate (also London Docklands) used to sell roof space in the former Redbus days so they would be worth contacting as well as a starting point.
    AIUI Meridian has never sold roof space, they're neither allowed to under the estate's lease (none of the 8 units there are), or able to due to the design of the multi-angular pitched roof
    (and we've had systems in Meridian Gate for over 10 years)

Perhaps you meant Sov not Mer, and points 2-through-5 still apply to that :p

So which transponders do you want to dump, show us a coverage footprint? Also why do you need a full rack for this, isn't a single box with a DVB card (or 4 DVB cards judging from your 150Mbps requirement) enough?

Quote Originally Posted by rds100 View Post
    So which transponders do you want to dump, show us a coverage footprint? Also why do you need a full rack for this, isn't a single box with a DVB card (or 4 DVB cards judging from your 150Mbps requirement) enough?
    A single box cant transcode 150 FTA channels.

Might you be better off feeding the satellite video streams in over the net, rather than directly at the DC? Particularly so if you have a load of unused incoming bandwidth.
    Not possible. We are capturing these feeds from sats only available in Europe/ME and then sending them overseas. I figure best place to do this is a DC, since it will require tons of bandwidth.

Thanks all, still looking for a solution here. PM me if you can help with DC space in Europe.. I'm thinking something like Romania, Bulgaria, Italy, Greece, France, Spain... The sats we're targeting are easier to obtain in those countries closer to Middle East.

Thanks.

Migrating the equipment?

These guys might also come in handy..

technimove.co.uk

They could help you with the physical move of all your equipment.
    Including into the DC and installing it.
    UK based, but work in Europe too.

Good Luck with the search.

There is it.net with their Rome datacenter that I define realible... Not sure about the roof space, but that bandwidth alone there is gonna cost you 1500€

Check http://www.zexotek-webhosting.de/ - they have roof space in Frankfurt, DE.
    Even rather cheap, astra 19.2° connection costs just 35euro / month