DNS/Nameservers issue

I need a technical question.If I have a .com domain.The nameserver that belongs to me ns1.xxx.com ns2.xxx.com .If I change host, can I remind the same nameservers and just do a A record pointing to the new host IP?

Does modifcation of nameservers's A,cname,MX record cause the domain to be down?The nameservers does not change but the records inside the nameservers change.I know changing of nameservers will cause the website/email to be down.

Quote Originally Posted by clarencetey View Post
    I need a technical question.If I have a .com domain.The nameserver that belongs to me ns1.xxx.com ns2.xxx.com .If I change host, can I remind the same nameservers and just do a A record pointing to the new host IP?

Does modifcation of nameservers's A,cname,MX record cause the domain to be down?The nameservers does not change but the records inside the nameservers change.I know changing of nameservers will cause the website/email to be down.
    (I assume xxx.com is your domain). Yes you can. You need not only to repoint the A record, but also the glue records at the domain registrar. You should transfer to the new host, and then change the A records at your new host. The A records at your old host should remain set to the old host's IP. Otherwise, IIRC, during the propogation period, anybody who thinks the IP for the nameserver is still the old one will find a mismatched A-record, which will mean the page doesn't resolve.

As for down-time, if you reduce the TTL to 300 (2 days before the switch), most resolving nameservers will listen to that, and the change should be nearly instant for most people. A few, sadly, seem to ignore the TTL and cache for longer anyways
    Not as active on WHT as I used to be, but still drop in and receive email notifications from here.
    My personal blog site: https://www.oakleys.org.uk/blog

Picci htistie

To prevent downtime you have to set up the website at the new host, then change the nameservers or make the CNAME and A records, and some visitors will see the old site and some the new one.

More, 2-3 days before the move change the TTL for your domain. It will tell to dns servers that the time to live for their cache should be minimal. In this way the transition can last less than 1 hour.

It's the same story of changing dns server, you need to wait dns propagation.

it will cause the server down immediately

Yeah it will cause the server down till the new dns information is not transmitted.

Your TTL defines the Total time for Live.

if u change host you will edit new nameserver as every host has different ip