Thread: BSOD's

BSOD's

Recently my computer stated BSOD'ing after the power went out due to a brown out (it lasted 5 seconds). I have a high quality surge protector for my computer (1875W, 2160 Joules, 15Amps). My PSU is a corsair 1000W.

Now randomly i get BSOD's. Also, i get them whenever there is a spike in the voltage (like the electric lawn mower being turned on or the washer/dryer). Usually with BSOD due to power spike/loss; after i turn my pc back on, the bios corrupts (it restores itself).

I know its not my memory as i ran a memtest86+ test for several hours and it didnt find anything.

Here's the BSOD messages ive received:

KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED
    BUGCODE_USB_DRIVER
    SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION
    DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

What's happening?

My system specs:

Intel Quad Core 3Ghz
    Gigabyte GA-X48-DQ6 Motherboard
    4GB RAM
    1000W Corsair PSU
    Win 7 Pro
    Last edited by Think Tank Networks; 06-04-2011 at 01:33 PM.

Hi Jordan,
    if the event is easily reproducible (ie by turning the lawn mower ON) and if you have spare parts lying around, you could start replacing them one at a time until you find the culprit by exclusion.

Since there is explicit mentioning of "USB_DRIVER" in the error message, I'd probably start by disconnecting all USB peripherals.

Granted this is an amateurish approach, but could prove efficient.
    Kantsev Linux Laboratories
    t: 02071832945
    w: kantsev.com
    Linux server management, London UK

Quote Originally Posted by kantsev View Post
    Hi Jordan,
    if the event is easily reproducible (ie by turning the lawn mower ON) and if you have spare parts lying around, you could start replacing them one at a time until you find the culprit by exclusion.

Since there is explicit mentioning of "USB_DRIVER" in the error message, I'd probably start by disconnecting all USB peripherals.

Granted this is an amateurish approach, but could prove efficient.
    That error only occured once though. The one that is occuring the most is SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION and KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED

I'm taking my computer to the store to get them to pinpoint what broke and then from there ill send the part off for warranty repair.

From my preliminary conversation with the store tech guy; he said it sounds like the Motherboard, PSU and possibly the memory are toast.

It could have been any number of things, but I'm guessing it's either the CPU, the MOBO or the RAM. Whichever it is, I'd just replace all 3. Yes, it'll cost you a few bucks, but at least you'll only have to make one trip to the store and you'll have your machine up and running in one shot, which is sometimes worth the extra expense in parts.
    With that being said, it doesn't hurt anything to try a different PSU (if you have one lying around) and see if it'll do the trick (even though I see that as a Hail Mary).

I forgot to update this thread.

The tech guy said its the RAM. He removed it, and put new RAM in and the problem went away, then he put the old RAM in and it came back.

I'm getting new ram.

That is good. I would still be worried about the MOBO, because if it received enough juice went into it to fry the RAM, it could have also fried something else. Take a look at the capacitors and see if any of them are mushrooming out. That's a SURE sign of other issues to come.
    Ilija - Caneris Inc. - Shared, Dedicated, VPS and Colo