LeaseWeb bad network

Just ordered a new dedicated server there with supposingly 100Mbps network link but actually got 10Mbps. My previous server always got a load of about 25Mbps thats why I need 100Mbps. In Resource Manager (in Windows) the load is always on 10Mbps and will never get above it while users of the servers keep disconnecting and getting uber high ping (because its max 10Mbps).

They seem reluctant to fix this problem on my server even though I ordered 100Mbps (And Windows thinks its a 100Mbps link...). That they charge extra for support is ok, but when delivering broken servers and not fixing them is another.

My previous server always had a load of 15~30Mbps constantly so this is very bad for the users of my server.

Oh and by the way, this has been going on for 6 days now, I got twice promises they will get their 'Network Support' to fix this problem with more urgency but it seems like they're just joking around with me.

Bah.

Ive always found leaseweb's network to be quite nice but it might just be your visitors.

Quote Originally Posted by greatseeder View Post
    Did you do a proper speed test and where is most of the traffic originating from?
    From all over the world.

It doesnt matter where the traffic originates from since the problem is the Network Link that's 10Mbps at the LeaseWeb datacenter.

My graphs show my server is almost constantly on 10Mbps and while all connections (from all over the world) are pushing to connect, its not getting above the 10Mbps.

For everyone who is connected it causes high pings (5000ms+) in spikes, aswell as disconnects when the lag spike is too big.

The lag spikes are caused by the limit of 10Mbps.

Quote Originally Posted by Dorkslayz View Post
    Ive always found leaseweb's network to be quite nice but it might just be your visitors.
    Before this server I had another server at LeaseWeb which was running fine. I bought a new server because the Server Specs needed to get an upgrade.

However the new server got this 10Mbps link I think a part of their datacenter is just broken and running on a broken network link.

It's not my users, everyone gets it and the users come from all over the world and even the same country as LeaseWeb, basicly everyone gets Lag Spikes in the server frequently because of this 10Mbps limit.
    Last edited by SanHello; 06-04-2011 at 12:55 PM.

Probably your upstream switch is half-broken or mis-configured. Try suggesting that to the support.

It is difficult to troubleshoot network problem from their core network to user servers. Tracert and ping doesn't really show problem with port speed.

Right.

I've done tracert and ping and sometimes the requests timeout at the LeaseWeb side but not often. Its easier to detect port speed problems when its at its limit and you're continiously sending packets to ping the connection. Which are those 'Lag Spikes'.

It seems as if no company can actually bring a 100mb port on board, its really too expensive for just one VPS.

Quote Originally Posted by dmathur View Post
    It seems as if no company can actually bring a 100mb port on board, its really too expensive for just one VPS.
    What are you talking about?

No company can actually put in a 100mb connection per VPS?

Its not a VPS but a dedicated server

Quote Originally Posted by dmathur View Post
    No company can actually put in a 100mb connection per VPS?
    Leaseweb could easily do it with there connections but the user from my understanding has a dedicated server not a VPS. Mass scale helps also.

Would you be able to go to speedtest.net and post the results to there support staff and do multiple tests from multiple locations. That should easily show there is an issue, although if you are dealing with the same tech for the issue, request a manager or higher level employer to look at it as sometimes with any company you get a set of employees/support staff that are of no use at all when it comes to certain tickets.

The title of the thread is nothing but misleading! Getting 10 Mbps instead of 100 Mbps and the lack of support do not mean that any web host has a "bad network". If you are objective, this is not good for your provider, but you also should be more precise in writing correct titles of your threads and reviews here.
    Host Color Cloud Servers & Dedicated Hosting & European Infrastructure Hosting
    U.S. Data center 90 miles from Chicago
    Network ★ AS46873 Level 3, Cogent, Hurricane Electric, Retn.net, Midwest Peering
    24/7 Support 1-574-367-2393; Skype: HostColor

Quote Originally Posted by HostColor View Post
    The title of the thread is nothing but misleading! Getting 10 Mbps instead of 100 Mbps and the lack of support do not mean that any web host has a "bad network". If you are objective, this is not good for your provider, but you also should be more precise in writing correct titles of your threads and reviews here.
    Not talking about a webhost.

Putting a whole server block on 10Mbps instead of 100 is a pretty bad network if you ask me though.

Quote Originally Posted by SanHello View Post
    Its not a VPS but a dedicated server
    Sorry. My misunderstanding. The network is poor for a dedicated server to only pump out 10mpbs. But if the network is good, you should not see too much difference between the speeds unless you are downloading.

Make sure everything is well optimized and hopefully their network will gradually become faster too.

hi,
    are you running a file hosting service ?
    please cmiiw always

Do the datatraffic graphs in SSC show you ever reaching 100Mbps?

Their Live Support doesn't run on weekends. First thing on Monday, Log into your SSC and open up live chat.

Quote Originally Posted by Dorkslayz View Post
    Their Live Support doesn't run on weekends. First thing on Monday, Log into your SSC and open up live chat.
    that is sales chat.

Your switch port is probably misconfigured. I have no problems at all doing single-thread transfers at 100 Mbit/s with Leaseweb, even on the "volume" network.

Looks like the customer that use this server / switch port before you had a 10mbps unmetered plan.

Not running a file server but a game server.

That is why those Lag Spikes make it worse.

i have the exact same issue with one of my leasweb servers
    all servers on 1000Mb port and they all can maxout the port
    except this one max is 10mb only , server unable to burst more than that

created support ticket yesterday , and they asked for server logins
    to do some tests , but still no updated till now

You have to be patient - it's weekend and if it's the same as a year or so ago when I had a server there, they have reduced staff on weekends.

You probably also have no SLA, so (just a personal guess based on how they replied to my tickets in the past) the support staff won't even read tickets from people without SLA outside the 9 AM to 17 pm time frame.

So for example it can happen you get the request from them at about 11 am, you reply at 12, they see the answer at about 4 pm and just forward to the network engineer which will read it next day at 9-10 am. Something like that.

If you have Windows running on the server, you might wanna check if you use the default network driver from Microsoft - if so update (ex if it's an Intel onboard card, go to intel.com and get the driver)

Otherwise, try forcing the network card to 100mbps HALF duplex or Full Duplex until they sort out the issue with the router/switch or whatever there is.

PS. 2nd of June is "Ascension Day", a special holiday in Holland, so some support staff may have taken an extra day off to get some extended weekend holiday (from Thursday to Sunday), which could explain for even less people in the support staff.

To the OP: Let us know how things go. As Leaseweb is a reputable provider, they should fix your issue.

thank you your review, i plan signup a sever at leaseweb , but now , i can't

As most have said, this is just a localised issue to your server, it's not representative of the overall LeaseWeb network.

The reason that nothing has been fixed yet is due to the fact you're probably running with no SLA, so your cases will be of lower priority than those who have an SLA.

We've seen the issue you're talking of from personal experience, and it's normally just the uplink is configured to be 10MB/s, just open a case and let them know that you're paying for 100MB/s and you believe the uplink is configured at 10MB/s and they'll normally get it sorted, it might just take a bit of time due to not having an SLA agreement as they class weekends as out-of-hours, or at least they did when we last logged a case on a weekend.
    Chris Imrie
    Freelance Consultant

I've requested deletion of this topic.

The topic has brought the issue to the attention and got some feedback that is all that was needed. Interesting to see another person having a similar issue though.

LeaseWeb servers are good priced and the uptime is 100%. I don't move to another host because frankly LeaseWeb is the best host in my opinion. I rarely need support so I try to avoid getting into having to need support, but with this issue I had no choice.

So if everything is OK, why would you want this thread deleted? Nobody lied or said false statements in this thread so I don't see why this should disappear.

It's obvious this support issue is a continuous problem for Leaseweb and still affects people even though their representatives kept saying every time here on the forums that they've improved it and hired new people and so on.

It's good for people to know when researching hosts that there are other hosting companies out there just as good or even better than Leaseweb from the network point of view but which can also reply in reasonable amount of time (hours) in weekends, unlike Leaseweb which doesn't care about you unless you buy their very expensive SLA.

Well I had the impression of getting helped last sunday midday. But I guess that was just false hope.

Now they don't reply anymore without fixing anything, It's still the same issue.

The last thing they emailed was:

I would like to inform you.

Because our networking department provided us the following information:
    4 Enabled Auto/Disabled 100M/Full/None Enabled Disabled

It seems the problem is on the server side. In this case we will log in
    locally, not over RDP.
    What a bs seriously. How hard is it to fix a Network Link?

@SanHello, can you please send me the ticket number via PM or public so this can be followed up?

Thanks in advance.

I'm not sure why you need the ticket number? Are you from Leaseweb?

Quote Originally Posted by timmeh View Post
    @SanHello, can you please send me the ticket number via PM or public so this can be followed up?

Thanks in advance.
    I am not sure if he is but posting your ticket number here should not harm you at all as no one else can see your tickets but leaseweb.

I would try contacting this member http://www.webhostingtalk.com/member.php?u=45112 and see if the member will post here.

I found LeaseWeb users Review, 10/11 users said the service is poor. http://www.webhostingstuff.com/review/LeaseWeb.html

@Sanhello/techjr. Correct I'm from the networking department at LeaseWeb and able to solve this issue quickly.

Pm your ticket number to us, we will be glad to check if it is a misconfigured network port.