Register.com nightmare

I have a friend who registered a domain almost 10 years ago for 10 years.

He is changing his hosting provider over to my new company. I told him we need to log into register.com to change NameServers. Note, the domain was not using any service of register.com other than actually registering it, nameservers, mail, hosting all was already somewhere else.

Since it has been years since he's logged into register.com, he has to call them to ask them to e-mail him the login information. They do, and luckily he still gets e-mail at that account. He thanks them and mentions he will be forwarding it to me (his webmaster) so I can change name servers.

GET THIS: They tell him that if he forwards that e-mail (which 1. wasn't delivered to a Register.com server, and 2. was at this point on my friends computer) that when he forwards it to me, it will automatically lock his account and he will have to call back in to unlock it.

Then they tell him if he pays like $10, they will e-mail a copy to me for him!!

So needless to say, on top of logging in to change the name servers, because of that crap, he is transferring the domain over to another register (which is $10/year cheaper anyhow).

So, lets go get the auth code for the transfer. He has to fill out a questionnaire, with required fields such as what registrar are you transferring to and why. (I told him just choose "Other" for everything as it is none of their business.)

Do we get the code right away like I have gotten with the 4 other registers I have ever used?? Nope, we get a message saying they will review the request and if they approve it will e-mail him the code in 4-5 days!!

I go to leave the site, and here comes a popup saying (basically) "Wait, change your mind and we'll lower the price to $20/year!"

WHAT CRAP!!!!! He was well ready to continue registering the domain with them. When he got it, he paid for 10 years, and was ready to do another 10 years.

Instead they just lost business because of their tactics.

So, my question to those who use other registrars, have you ever seen that your auth code to transfer has to be "approved"? I mainly use pairNIC and have used GoDaddy, NetSol, and one other I forget which, all gave codes instantly.

So now instead of, what is it 5 days that the transfer holds so you can cancel it from the original registrar, with them, you have to start it 10 days or so before you need it transferred!

yes it has to be approved by the loosing registrar.
    They have 5 days to do it. But normaly if you call the support they can approve the transfer earlier. so the transfer can be done in approx 4 hours

Quote Originally Posted by TwineDev View Post
    I have a friend who registered a domain almost 10 years ago for 10 years.

He is changing his hosting provider over to my new company. I told him we need to log into register.com to change NameServers. Note, the domain was not using any service of register.com other than actually registering it, nameservers, mail, hosting all was already somewhere else.

Since it has been years since he's logged into register.com, he has to call them to ask them to e-mail him the login information. They do, and luckily he still gets e-mail at that account. He thanks them and mentions he will be forwarding it to me (his webmaster) so I can change name servers.

GET THIS: They tell him that if he forwards that e-mail (which 1. wasn't delivered to a Register.com server, and 2. was at this point on my friends computer) that when he forwards it to me, it will automatically lock his account and he will have to call back in to unlock it.

Then they tell him if he pays like $10, they will e-mail a copy to me for him!!

So needless to say, on top of logging in to change the name servers, because of that crap, he is transferring the domain over to another register (which is $10/year cheaper anyhow).

So, lets go get the auth code for the transfer. He has to fill out a questionnaire, with required fields such as what registrar are you transferring to and why. (I told him just choose "Other" for everything as it is none of their business.)

Do we get the code right away like I have gotten with the 4 other registers I have ever used?? Nope, we get a message saying they will review the request and if they approve it will e-mail him the code in 4-5 days!!

I go to leave the site, and here comes a popup saying (basically) "Wait, change your mind and we'll lower the price to $20/year!"

WHAT CRAP!!!!! He was well ready to continue registering the domain with them. When he got it, he paid for 10 years, and was ready to do another 10 years.

Instead they just lost business because of their tactics.

So, my question to those who use other registrars, have you ever seen that your auth code to transfer has to be "approved"? I mainly use pairNIC and have used GoDaddy, NetSol, and one other I forget which, all gave codes instantly.

So now instead of, what is it 5 days that the transfer holds so you can cancel it from the original registrar, with them, you have to start it 10 days or so before you need it transferred!
    Hi,

My name is Tom and I'm an agent of register.com. I would be glad to help you with this if you could provide some more detail on the account in question?
    - You can PM me the details if you like.

Best,

The losing Registrar can indeed cancel or approve a transfer.

http://www.icann.org/en/transfers/policy-12jul04.htm

Section 3 deals on what grounds a transfer can be cancelled by the losing Registrar. In that same section it also explains on what grounds a transfer may not be cancelled.
    RealtimeRegister.com - Worldwide domain management. API (epp) + Resellers prices

As mentioned, I'm not talking about the 5 day waiting period AFTER the transfer request has been made, I'm talking about 4-5 waiting period to even get the auth code to make that request to begin with.

Tom, I'm meeting with my friend today, and will see if he oks me to PM you his account info (funny thing he DID forward me the e-mail you guys sent him, and his account still works just fine, so good thing he didn't pay the $10 to have register.com send me the e-mail).

-Greg

Don't give that guy any login info. He shouldn't need it. What does an "Agent of Register.com" mean. Is he an employee?
    Signature Under Construction.

Quote Originally Posted by stub View Post
    Don't give that guy any login info. He shouldn't need it. What does an "Agent of Register.com" mean. Is he an employee?
    Yes, I work for register.com.

In order for me to help, I will need information on the account in question as the original post does not contain any information with which I can use to locate the customer.

Thanks

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by RcomTom View Post

In order for me to help, I will need information on the account in question as the original post does not contain any information with which I can use to locate the customer.

Thanks

Tom
    This should only be discussed either a) by email to @register.com, or b) you should provide an extension number off of register.com main number for registrant/webmaster (with registrants approval) to contact.

As stub was trying to point out, you technically could be any tom, dick or harry (pardon the pun).
    NetEarth One
    ICANN Accredited Registrar, http://reseller.netearthone.com
    SSLReseller - WHMCS SSL module now released into BETA www.sslreseller.com
    Full UK support, 7 days a week 365 days a year!

You should only wait for the registrar for 4-5 periods but please don't pay $10 for this purpose.

Thanks

Tom
    I suppose in this situation that would be much better to reach customer via your official support channel.

They were recently acquired by web.com so wish you the best of luck in this.

So Tom, I'll be calling in next week. I'll just ask for Tom and if I get ya, I'll give ya the domain name that WAS through register.com.

-Greg

(PS, maybe if you have more info in your profile and more than just these two posts, people would doubt ya less ;-)