www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-13639875

As a result, from 1 August, Google will only support what it calls "modern browsers". By this it means the latest versions and major prior releases of Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer and Safari.
    No surprise at all!!

Force ppl to use SW they can track you with,keep track of you,etc......

Tinyurl is the answer for posting long urls!!!

Yeah, that's exactly why.

The things you come up with.....

As they say in the article, even in my friend's company they use only IE7 even now. What will happen to these people if Google wants to do away with "traditional" browsers. Pretty heavy period ahead, I would say!

correct way! who care about out of date technology? do you still use IBM i286 computers? The answer is No!

who want to support IE3, IE4, IE5 or older version - the answer is no one! even Microsoft discontinued the support for sort of old browsers.
    Explore our outstanding VPS choices tailored to your budget, and we welcome reasonable offers.
    VPS Price Match Guarantee on: All our range of DDOS protected XEN HVM VPS
    == Contact us for any online solution development or managed / unmanaged vps hosting ==

Perfectly understandable.

GMail, Google Docs etc. are pretty rich sites that must be a pain to maintain while retaining compatibility with outdated browsers.

I can understand this. I believe many people need to stop using the old browsers and update. Major websites like Google actually have to force people to update or they will not be able to use their service. Besides, all the modern browsers now a days have more and more features that are hard to turn down. It is a benefit for these people to update browsers, and google is forcing people to do so. Good for Google

Yes, it's not surprising and Google's decision is quite understandable to move along and support the latest browsers. IMO, hardly anyone would be using IE-6 and older version of other browsers as well. So, supporting new browsers would be a reasonable step taken by Google and it would also boost up a normal user's web interactivity who are still up with older versions.

I'm using firefox and chrome both at a time. My firefox is 3.6.17 but I don't know how to check the chrome if it's the latest or now. Could you help me figure out it's version?

google own you and the entire of the world,

i wonder if they have ever been sued for a monopoly business ?
    please cmiiw always

Hysteria aside, this seems more about supporting the Google apps rather than google search engine. I can't imagine Google search engine would be affected, I'm sure it will continue to work in even prehistoric browsers for ever.

Upon encountering a site that demands an upgrade, or forces flash on the client, the back button works well, as does typing into the address bar, or just plain closing the browser.

This is true whether it is Google, or some other site with misguided "designers".

++
    edgedirector.com
    managed dns global failover and load balance (gslb)
    exactstate.com
    uptime report for webhostingtalk.com

They just wanted to present the same user experience across all browsers and this is the only way they can do it .

This might cause a tad bit of problems with the non profit businesses who can't afford to keep an "IT" guy around for a browser update. I'm sure they will succumb and figure out a way or it might even help bing or yahoo in this case.
    “Intelligence is not to make no mistakes, but quickly to see how to make them good.” - Bertolt Brecht

Haha, The Dude has issues, you'd think he was in the 1960's or something.

Quote Originally Posted by alex-developer View Post
    correct way! who care about out of date technology? do you still use IBM i286 computers? The answer is No!

who want to support IE3, IE4, IE5 or older version - the answer is no one! even Microsoft discontinued the support for sort of old browsers.
    just because you don't use out of date technology doesn't mean that everyone doesn't use out of date technology.

even an i286 computer still has use, with the right software. i am currently running a OS9.2 mac, because i can't get software that does what i want it to, with "modern" software, whereas if i go back to OS9, it's there, and does what i want it to, with no problem.

maybe it's necessary for most people, but saying that you're going to completely abandon support for old technology will invariably leave some customers grumbling.
    salamandir
    Bounded chaotic mixing produces strange stability.
    Hybrid Elephant - The World's Finest Exotic Incense, Murtis, Jewelry and other "hippie" stuff.

Well said, salamandir