Setting up my VPS

I have bought my VPS and I am currently in the process of setting it up.

I went with QuickVPS and the OS is CentOS 5 with 600MB RAM. There are many tutorials on this site but are there definitive ones that I should follow for setting up my VPS (securing and optimizing it)

Also - what do I need to look at to be able to host multiple sites? I don't have Cpanel or anything like that, but I can point my domains at the vps.

I am going to need Apache and PHP5 and SendMail I assume. (I don't need to host email)

Thanks

You don't need a control panel to host multiple sites, you can edit configuration files directly and control processes from the command line.

OTOH, if that's beyond your capabilities, and you're not interested in learning, there are some decent free control panels out there.

You may also need MySQL.

It would be beyond the scope of this to do a write up on securing your server.

If you wish to host multiple sites, there are the easy ways to do it:
    1) Install cPanel or DirectAdmin or Free Kloxo

or the hard way (if you are new to this)

2) Configure your Apache/MySQL/PHP by Hand.

Ask QuickVPS if they have any suggestions as well. Some providers have specialized templates with things built in already like a LAMP stack or Kloxo or cPanel, etc.
    KiloServe Hosting - 48 Core Nodes and specializing in high disk I/O VPS
    www.KiloServe.com Providing Quality Hosting since 2007
    Specializing in Dedicated Servers, OpenVZ VPS, Xen VPS, and Windows VPS.

Quote Originally Posted by KiloServe View Post
    It would be beyond the scope of this to do a write up on securing your server.
    I was more looking for a pre-existing writeup that is known to be good.

2) Configure your Apache/MySQL/PHP by Hand.

Ask QuickVPS if they have any suggestions as well. Some providers have specialized templates with things built in already like a LAMP stack or Kloxo or cPanel, etc.
    I'd prefer to do things by hand and learn...although I am (relatively) new to linux, i would not consider myself a complete newbie, just want to be pointed in the right direction.

Here's a Redbook for tuning Linux, its a good start. There might be one related to security as well.

http://www.redbooks.ibm.com/redpapers/pdfs/redp4285.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by Cheetah05 View Post
    I'd prefer to do things by hand and learn...although I am (relatively) new to linux, i would not consider myself a complete newbie, just want to be pointed in the right direction.
    I'm not sure if it's needed to go bare knuckles just for the fun of it. Something like Kloxo would save you alot of time.

But if you really want to do it:

Here's a quick synopsis from memory of doing everything manually. This is not a complete guide but at least can get you started in the right direction.

Please note that default install of PHP without changing your YUM repository results in pretty old versions of PHP/Apache/mySQL. For example, PHP is something like version 5.1.x.

You should search out addtional repositories first for newer builds unless you are going to compile it all from source.

1) Install the AMP part of LAMP and sendmail
    yum install httpd mysql-server mysql php sendmail

2) Configure your mysql server with password

2b) Create a user for your websites with "useradd <username>"

3) Edit your /etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf for your virtual hosts/domains

4) Install something like phpMyAdmin to manage your databases unless you are comfortable with mysql-cli then it would be just "mysql -u username -p"

5) You will need to setup some kind of FTP to send your files up or you can use SFTP.

That's all that I could think of right off.

Installing Webmin will give you a good amount of menial tasks to do while still allwoing alot of control.
    http://www.webmin.com/
    KiloServe Hosting - 48 Core Nodes and specializing in high disk I/O VPS
    www.KiloServe.com Providing Quality Hosting since 2007
    Specializing in Dedicated Servers, OpenVZ VPS, Xen VPS, and Windows VPS.

There is a huge list of things, but here a few more.

- Change default SSH port
    - Disable SSH password authentication, enable key authentication
    - Disallow shell access for website users 'useradd -s /sbin/nologin <username>'
    - Run 'passwd <username>' after adding the user

I have seen this 600mb vps on offers section, if I remember correctly this is a managed vps, ask your provider to do the required job on your VPS.

Quote Originally Posted by Cheetah05 View Post
    I was more looking for a pre-existing writeup that is known to be good.

The HowtoForge write ups are pretty good. Take a look at this one for setting up a "perfect CentOS 5.6 server".

Quote Originally Posted by SoftGeeks View Post
    I have seen this 600mb vps on offers section, if I remember correctly this is a managed vps, ask your provider to do the required job on your VPS.
    Thanks - but its part of a learning exercise for me...I want to actually learn something as I go along.

you may go for LNMP (lnmp.org) an automated script to install everything.

Quote Originally Posted by SoftGeeks View Post
    you may go for LNMP (lnmp.org) an automated script to install everything.
    It seems it has a decent support from Chinese, currently I also use it for all new VPS that need Nginx
    How can you factor in VAT when comparing since you are subject to VAT on everything? Obviously purchases made outside the EU are not going to be collected with VAT, but are you not still responsible to pay it on your own? - Tim Flavin from "Hostigation.com"