Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    jersey
    Posts
    16

    live smooth streaming

    I Have a dedicated server 100mbps with 1200gb bandwith monthly.
    i do live streaming using windows media services do you you think if i change to smooth streaming i will save bandwidth?

    i do live video streaming using a 500kbps, 3 times a week for 4hours each day, do you think my server will support 500 users connecting to the smooth streaming each day?

    i hope somebody could answer this question.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    538
    48 hours a month * 500kbps * 500 users = 720,000,000,000 bytes/month which is 720GB of data/month.

    You didn't list any of the specs of your server so as far as server performance goes it would be impossible to answer that.
    XLHost.com
    Dedicated Servers, Virtual Private Servers, and more since 1995.
    drew @ xlhost.com

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    jersey
    Posts
    16
    Quote Originally Posted by newboy View Post
    I Have a dedicated server 100mbps with 1200gb bandwith monthly.
    i do live streaming using windows media services do you you think if i change to smooth streaming i will save bandwidth?

    i do live video streaming using a 500kbps, 3 times a week for 4hours each day, do you think my server will support 500 users connecting to the smooth streaming each day?

    i hope somebody could answer this question.
    my server is running windows server 2008 64 bit, amd atlon 3800 +2.4ghz, 2gb of ram, 300gb hard drive,

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Miami, FL
    Posts
    2,762
    Erm... I don't think I remember the last time I used an Athlon server which is that low. It's been quite a long time (5-6 years since the release of the CPU) and I don't really remember anymore. But as far as I could remember and by checking your CPU, it seems that you're trying to ask if a NETBOOK could host the streaming without problems?

    AMD Athlon 3800+ is about as low as an ATOM N550 which is the lowest of the class. Streaming on such a machine is going to basically make it really bad or the connection is going to suffer like crazy coz it's not built for such things.

    What are you paying now for the server you are having now? I mean the athlon that you are currently having.
    Aaron Ong
    Dedicated Servers - 100TB Servers - 100Mbps Unmetered Servers - Web Hosting - CDN Network
    Servers in Central, East/West Coast USA, EUROPE and ASIA
    Welltodo Century
    - www.welltodocentury.com

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    jersey
    Posts
    16
    Quote Originally Posted by aodat2 View Post
    Erm... I don't think I remember the last time I used an Athlon server which is that low. It's been quite a long time (5-6 years since the release of the CPU) and I don't really remember anymore. But as far as I could remember and by checking your CPU, it seems that you're trying to ask if a NETBOOK could host the streaming without problems?

    AMD Athlon 3800+ is about as low as an ATOM N550 which is the lowest of the class. Streaming on such a machine is going to basically make it really bad or the connection is going to suffer like crazy coz it's not built for such things.

    What are you paying now for the server you are having now? I mean the athlon that you are currently having.
    i pay $220 monthly my server run great, cpu usage alway at 20% when i do live streaming usin windows media services.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Miami, FL
    Posts
    2,762
    Not trying to burst your bubble or something but with $220/month, I do feel that you're paying about 1.5X more expensive even if you go with a PREMIUM Service Provider and etc. Then again, a premium service provider will not even have that server available anymore. If you're paying that much, something must have made you really happy
    Aaron Ong
    Dedicated Servers - 100TB Servers - 100Mbps Unmetered Servers - Web Hosting - CDN Network
    Servers in Central, East/West Coast USA, EUROPE and ASIA
    Welltodo Century
    - www.welltodocentury.com

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    1,320
    You are overpaying for that server by at least $150.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    469
    Quote Originally Posted by chasebug View Post
    You are overpaying for that server by at least $150.
    That's a fact.

    TS, since you do completely low quality stream (500kbps), that isn't constant, why not use justin.tv or livestream.com services?

    They are completely free, livestream.com gives you good software + free 500kbps stream with up to 30FPS and if you verify your channel as no copyright stream, you can have as many viewers as you like.

    Consider trying it out.
    How can you factor in VAT when comparing since you are subject to VAT on everything? Obviously purchases made outside the EU are not going to be collected with VAT, but are you not still responsible to pay it on your own? - Tim Flavin from "Hostigation.com"

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    652
    I do live streaming using windows media services do you you think if I change to smooth streaming I will save bandwidth?
    I do live video streaming using a 500kbps
    NO. If you switch to smooth streaming your bandwidth will go UP, not down. Smooth streaming has multiple setpoints, usually going as high as 2.4 mbps.
    which is 720GB of data/month.
    You should consider a CDN rather then a dedicated server (unless you are using it for other services such as email) A CDN would charge a lot less. For example, at $0.10/GB 720 GB would only be $72 per month.

  10. #10
    You've got a good service for a good price if you are happy with a quality of the service.
    Regarding saving some bandwidth you may be able to save some by switching (unless you are using already) to VC1 or H264. By switching from WM9 codec you may have to force your viewers to use Silverlight in some cases. Do some testing at first of course.
    Professional Streaming services - http://www.tulix.com - info at tulix.com
    Double optimized - AS36820) network, best for live streaming/VoIP/gaming
    The best quality network - AS7219

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-25-2011, 06:57 PM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-16-2010, 10:14 AM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-16-2010, 03:19 PM
  4. need help in live streaming
    By Supersonic_ in forum Web Hosting
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 02-23-2003, 02:27 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •