Results 1 to 16 of 16
  1. #1

    Check which virtualisation is used on VPS

    Hello,
    how I can check if my VPS is running Openvz or XEN?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    430
    if /proc/user_beancounters exists it's OpenVZ/Virtuozzo

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    4,548
    A quick ticket to your provider should yield your answer.

    Feel free to copy and paste this in a ticket:

    "Hey guys,

    I'm just curious what type of virtualization is used on my VPS I have with you.

    Thanks! Have a good day,
    [YOUR NAME]"

    Simple and direct.
    vpsBoard - An active resource for all things Virtual Private Servers. Tutorials, Guides, Offers and more!
    Come join the conversation! 90,000 posts and growing daily! The fastest growing hosting forum around!

  4. #4
    Thanks for replys, I will try it. Open a ticket would be fast and the best answer but tickets take some time.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Dallas
    Posts
    305
    If you tell us your provider, I am sure that we can figure it out.

    Do you have any swap space when you look at your drives?

    Code:
    fdisk -l

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Kshatriya
    Posts
    2,725
    Two commands for Xen and OpenVZ

    Type
    xm
    - If you're using a xen then you'll see a xen list

    Type
    vzlist
    - If you're using a OpenVZ then you'll see a OpenVZ list
    Dewlance® Cheap Windows VPS - Chicago/Orlando/Vegas/AZ - SSD
    WHMCS ReadyMadeKB - Tutorials for cPanel/InterWorx/Softaculous& Growing..
    Super Cheap Annually Shared Hosting - Canada/US/UK

  7. #7
    xml: command not found
    vzlist: command not found

    The file '/proc/user_beancounters' is there. Is it really Openvz or just outdated?

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    1,799
    Quote Originally Posted by warg View Post
    The file '/proc/user_beancounters' is there. Is it really Openvz or just outdated?
    Then you're on OpenVZ.

    I'm curious as to what host you're with that doesn't provide this basic information on their website.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    1,765
    Quote Originally Posted by warg View Post
    xml: command not found
    vzlist: command not found

    The file '/proc/user_beancounters' is there. Is it really Openvz or just outdated?
    Then it's OpenVZ or Virtuozzo

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    1,765
    Quote Originally Posted by DewlanceHosting View Post
    Two commands for Xen and OpenVZ

    Type - If you're using a xen then you'll see a xen list

    Type - If you're using a OpenVZ then you'll see a OpenVZ list
    Those commands are for the host node, not for individual VPSs.

  11. #11
    What could be the reason for I can't upgrade Debian 5 to Debian 6 because of 'quota' package makes problems? I've asked my hoster and he said that he isn't using a old version of Openvz.

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by warg View Post
    What could be the reason for I can't upgrade Debian 5 to Debian 6 because of 'quota' package makes problems? I've asked my hoster and he said that he isn't using a old version of Openvz.
    I am not sure what you mean when you say "quota" package makes problems. What is the error message?

    Have you asked your hoster if he has enabled 2nd level quotas?
    KiloServe Hosting - 48 Core Nodes and specializing in high disk I/O VPS
    www.KiloServe.com Providing Quality Hosting since 2007
    Specializing in Dedicated Servers, OpenVZ VPS, Xen VPS, and Windows VPS.

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by KiloServe View Post
    I am not sure what you mean when you say "quota" package makes problems. What is the error message?

    Have you asked your hoster if he has enabled 2nd level quotas?
    I'm posting the exact error later because VPS is down. I have asked them to enable 2nd level quotas, maybe this solve my problem.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    The Not So Deep South
    Posts
    929
    The provider has one of the earlier Deb6 templates from the openvz site, which is riddled with bugs, the latest Deb6 templates on the openvz wiki are totally fixed.
    Hostigation.com - High Resource Hosting
    WHM/cPanel Servers for Hosting and Dedicated Needs
    SolusVM VPS Hosting - Big Features, Small Prices
    Like us on Facebook or follow @hostigation on Twitter

  15. #15
    My hoster provided me a Debian 5 template which I tried to upgrade to Debian 6 manually.
    Last edited by warg; 06-03-2011 at 03:45 PM.

  16. #16
    Problem solved. They reinstalled VPS with Debian 6.0.1 template.

Similar Threads

  1. Let's get opinions: Which virtualisation software.
    By intelliServe in forum VPS Hosting
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 05-05-2011, 07:52 AM
  2. Virtualisation with OpenVZ (Help understanding?)
    By EmpathyWeb in forum VPS Hosting
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 07-08-2009, 03:23 AM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-06-2009, 11:58 AM
  4. VMware vs OpenVZ Virtualisation
    By keith007 in forum VPS Hosting
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-09-2009, 10:13 AM
  5. virtualisation
    By savdd in forum VPS Hosting
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 06-26-2008, 04:23 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •