Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

godaddy.com hijacks my domain -- Godaddy is a very dangerous domain registrar

Godaddy is hijacking my domain now..!!

When I was going to transfer my domain from godaddy to namecheap,
    godaddy has denied the process of transfer, even after I have done all the required transfer procedures by godaddy.

When i asked godaddy to give me reasons why they do not let me to transfer my domain? Godaddy did not reply.

Anybody knows the place or website where I can file a complaint to this hijacking matter?

Anybody has some ideas I can overcome this? Since Godaddy's support is not replying to my request.

Anybody has this same terrible experience with godaddy?

Thanks
    Last edited by cavalry; 06-03-2011 at 06:59 AM. Reason: wrong spelling

Probably you are a victim of the 60-day no-transfer rule. In case of transfer denial read carefully the email that has been sent to you by Godaddy as the reason would have been listed there.
    HostGamma.com | HostGamma Europe | HostGamma Asia
    USA, Canada, Brazil, UK, Netherlands, HK, Taiwan, Korea, Japan, Singapore and more

You mean I have to transfer my domain prior 60 days of the domain expiration date?

Godaddy did not explain about this on their replied email.

Thanks

No, in case you do a change to your registrant information, you cannot transfer the domain away until after 60-day.
    I would be very surprised Godaddy would prevents you from transferring away your domain name without a valid reason.
    HostGamma.com | HostGamma Europe | HostGamma Asia
    USA, Canada, Brazil, UK, Netherlands, HK, Taiwan, Korea, Japan, Singapore and more

godaddy did not mention I can only transfer my domain 60 days later.
    It seems they try to ignore my question.

I just sent them my second email requesting them to answer why I cannot transfer my domain?

Finally I received an email from Godaddy:
    ----------------------------------------------

Thank you for contacting Online Support.

On 6/2/2011 the domain's registrant contact was updated.

When you make a change to the Registered Name Holder you expressly and voluntarily agree not to transfer your name for sixty days.

GoDaddy.com, Inc. takes domain security very seriously. Domain hijackings frequently occur right after a change to the Registered Name Holder. If we were to allow these hijacked domain names to immediately transfer to another registrar, we would not be protecting our customer.

You may continue the transfer on Monday, August 1, 2011 provided that the transfer is in accordance with the agreement above.

We apologize for any inconvenience.

But I do not think I made any change or update anything on my godaddy account on June 2 2011. It is a very strange answer from godaddy..!!

Did you disable domain privacy?

Yes, I did.

I had to disable the private registration before I could transfer my domain.

Please read the following replied email from godaddy:

----------------------------------------------------

Dear Registration Private,

The request to transfer the following domain name(s) to another registrar has been denied -- the domain(s) is currently a Private Registration:

If you would still like to transfer the domain(s) to another registrar, you must first cancel your Private Registration(s).

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    To cancel your Private Registration, log in to your Domains By Proxy Account. To safely log in:

1. Go to the DomainsByProxy.com home page (https://www.domainsbyproxy.com/Default.aspx?isc=wwbb55) and click the "Log In" button.

2. Enter your customer number or login name and password, and click "Log In."

You will then be able to manage your account.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

If you have forgotten your password, select the "Forgot your login information?" link on the popup login box.

Regards,
    Domain Services
    GoDaddy.com, Inc.
    [email protected]

Cavalry,

Disabling whois privacy is indeed changing the whois data (registrant/administrative/billing/technical contacts) back to your real name/data.
    Most probably GoDaddy deems that as "a change to Registered Name Holder" hence the 60-days limit applies.

I'm pretty sure godaddy mentions somewhere that you can't transfer your domain within 60 days.

That privacy removal is indeed a Registrant Change in GoDaddy's eyes.

And to be clear, it's only the Company Name, First Name, Last Name of the Registrant. No other changes to the whois info starts this 60 day lock.

IMHO, this 60 day lock should also include a Registrant Email change. A hacker can get into your account change the email (only) unlock the domain, get the auth code, transfer out, and approve the transfer all within a few minutes. He can then correct the Registrant Name after the domain is in the new Registrar.
    Signature Under Construction.

if you touch anything in registrant it will lock it for 60 days
    Bashar Al-Abdulhadi - KuwaitNET Internet Services Serving customers since 1997
    Kuwait's First Webhosting and Domain Registration provider - an ICANN Accredited Registrar

Twitter: Bashar Al-Abdulhadi

http://www.icann.org/en/announcement...ry-03apr08.htm

2. A registrant change to Whois information is not a valid reason to deny a transfer request.

A registrant’s objection to transfer is not valid unless it is obtained voluntarily.

This section of the advisory considers the scenario when a registrar requires a registrant to provide consent to deny transfer requests for a certain period of time (usually 60 days) in order for the registrant to update its Whois data.

Section A.3 of the Transfer Policy enumerates nine independent bases that a registrar may rely on to deny a domain name transfer request. Registrant updates to Whois contact details is not enumerated as a valid basis to deny a transfer request in the Transfer Policy. In addition, ordinary changes to Whois data fields are not evidence of fraud and therefore not a basis to deny a domain name transfer request.

Pursuant to Section A.3 of the Transfer Policy, registrars are permitted to deny transfer requests if they have obtained, "6. Express written objection to the transfer from the Transfer contact. (e.g. - email, fax, paper document or other processes by which the Transfer Contact has expressly and voluntarily objected through opt-in means)". While the language in parenthesis is provided as an example in paragraph enumerated 6 of Section A.3 of the Transfer Policy, this language is instructive regarding what types of express written objections were envisioned as acceptable as a basis to deny a transfer request – only those objections that are provided expressly and voluntarily.

Subsection 3.7.7.1 of the Registrar Accreditation Agreement ("RAA") requires registrars to include language in their registration agreements that obligates registrants to maintain "accurate and reliable contact details and promptly correct and update them during the term of the…registration." By agreeing to such language, registrants are under a strict requirement to update their Whois contact details when they change. Subsection 3.7.7.2 of the RAA requires registrars to include language in their registration agreements that authorizes them to cancel domain name registrations for any willful breach of these obligations. Accordingly, failure by a registrant to timely update Whois contact details may result in the cancellation of a domain name.

Registrars that have implemented processes that require registrants to consent to deny transfer requests in order to update Whois contact information are not obtaining voluntary express objections and therefore such objections cannot be used as a basis for denying a transfer pursuant to Section A.3 of the Transfer Policy.

Registrars are advised that any express written objections to transfer obtained by registrars through compulsory means, including express written objections obtained before allowing registrants to make required Whois data changes, are involuntary and therefore not a valid basis to deny transfer requests.

From what I understand GoDaddy cannot force you to accept the 60 day lock for the whois data change so before you make a change to the whois if you make a request to GoDaddy to remove the 60 day lock feature they should oblige. (not for this case though since it is already locked)

Seriously grow up and have some integrity. Godaddy did not hijack your domain, they state quite clearly that there is a security procedure in place. Allot of people have issues with these procedures but most of them don't come here and make blatantly false accusations towards a company that's done no wrong.

It's fine to complain about a proceedure but posting "godaddy.com hijacks my domain -- Godaddy is a very dangerous domain registrar" is a flat out ********, not to mention unprofessional accusation.
    I could tell you a joke about UDP. But I'm not sure you would get it!

If anything, Dan, some people post what they feel anyway, factually accurate or not.

I totally agree with Dan here. The OP definitely has chosen the bad wording to describe the problem.

This does not change the fact that GoDaddy's rule (whatever it's reasons are) is in a clear violation of ICANN procedures and policies and can be considered by some as 'hijacking'.
    Respect My Authoritah! - Eric Cartman (a friend of mine).

Quote Originally Posted by Bashar View Post
    if you touch anything in registrant it will lock it for 60 days
    Read my lips (or my post above yours). No it won't.

@Stan - Haven't seen you around here in a long time

Quote Originally Posted by stub View Post
    Read my lips (or my post above yours). No it won't.
    Hi, Stub. Nice to see you here as well.

Now, the above needs some elaboration. I can see from here that:

Go Daddy may elect to accept or reject Your domain name transfer application for any reason at its sole discretion. Rejections may include, but are not limited to:

The Domain Name Registrant was changed less than sixty (60) days prior to the transfer request;
    The above actually may or may not include changes other than registrant name and company. Did you have any experiences in the past or are you in receipt of official GoDaddy confirmation what exactly triggers their transfer block?

maybe check out the auctions at tdname.com
    I guess they will put it there for sale.
    they do this with all their expired domains.

Register more domains at GD and get an account rep. Once you have one they have no problem removing the hold. Until that time read what you are agreeing to as the information is given when you make the updates. You physically have to check 2-3 boxes agreeing to the terms.

Quote Originally Posted by Stan Marsh View Post
    Hi, Stub. Nice to see you here as well.

Now, the above needs some elaboration. I can see from here that:

The above actually may or may not include changes other than registrant name and company. Did you have any experiences in the past or are you in receipt of official GoDaddy confirmation what exactly triggers their transfer block?
    Yes. My GoDaddy Account Manager is very clear about this (when he made it clear that I could no longer ask for this lock to be lifted). He clearly stated that it is only if the Company Name, First Name, Last Name, is altered will the 60 day lock come into effect.

Beats me. But if you change the email address only, you won't incur the 60 day lock and can still steal the domain. Go figure.

Quote Originally Posted by jdk View Post
    Register more domains at GD and get an account rep. Once you have one they have no problem removing the hold. Until that time read what you are agreeing to as the information is given when you make the updates. You physically have to check 2-3 boxes agreeing to the terms.
    The Account Manager can no longer release the hold. You need to go thru legal if you want to lift the hold nowadays. Good luck with legal

why not just renew it if it is expiring and then after 60 days move it? it's just ten or so bucks anyway.
    QuickWeb™ -We Host Servers Like a Boss!
    New Zealand - USA - UK - Germany Virtual Servers
    Worldwide hosting provider with proven 24x7 and 25-Minute Support!
    www.quickweb.co.nz and GETVZ - Complete VPS Package with SSD Drive

Quote Originally Posted by QuickWeb-Roel View Post
    why not just renew it if it is expiring and then after 60 days move it? it's just ten or so bucks anyway.
    That's what GD wants you to think and do. I'd feel bad to not have a choice.

This 60 days rule is a trick, very godaddish. All registrars require Whois protection to be disabled before transfer. Looks like disabling of Whois protection is considered by them as info change (while in fact it is not - your details are still the same, you just remove the shield), and domain gets locked. If your renew date is close, you have to pay GD again. 10$ isn't much you say? well, imagine you have hundreds of domains ..

p.ss, and yes, "hijacking" isn't the right word here
    Last edited by NotanAngel; 06-08-2011 at 07:08 AM. Reason: ps
    less is more

Quote Originally Posted by NotanAngel View Post
    That's what GD wants you to think and do. I'd feel bad to not have a choice.

This 60 days rule is a trick, very godaddish. All registrars require Whois protection to be disabled before transfer. Looks like disabling of Whois protection is considered by them as info change (while in fact it is not - your details are still the same, you just remove the shield), and domain gets locked. If your renew date is close, you have to pay GD again. 10$ isn't much you say? well, imagine you have hundreds of domains ..

p.ss, and yes, "hijacking" isn't the right word here
    well i'm sure you now learn a lot of things from your 10 bucks isn't it? But seriously yeah obviously they want more dough from you.
    QuickWeb™ -We Host Servers Like a Boss!
    New Zealand - USA - UK - Germany Virtual Servers
    Worldwide hosting provider with proven 24x7 and 25-Minute Support!
    www.quickweb.co.nz and GETVZ - Complete VPS Package with SSD Drive

I'm disappointed at godaddy for other reasons, and moving out from them. But in their defense, when you change the registrant info, you do have to click a few checkboxes. Including one that says that you accept that you can't transfer the domain during the next 60 days.

So I agree the title to this thread is totally uncalled for.

I agree with Dan541..

Can someone please change the thread title.

@all poster i once search for a domain @godaddy and the next day it was registered by godaddy both .com. and .net they were saying do if this is your domain purchase it for $89.. Since then i am even scared to search for domain at @godaddy

Quote Originally Posted by Blazer79 View Post
    But in their defense, when you change the registrant info, you do have to click a few checkboxes. Including one that says that you accept that you can't transfer the domain during the next 60 days
    Like pointed out above, this requirement violates ICANN policies, so obviously does not have any legal power.

I've seen it before myself. It's hard to understand Godaddy's tactics here.

Quote Originally Posted by Stan Marsh View Post
    Like pointed out above, this requirement violates ICANN policies, so obviously does not have any legal power.
    But effectively it does because GoDaddy blocks the domain transfers and ICANN does nothing about it.

Has anyone resolved this? I am in circles with these people. I contact ICANN and they either ignore me or just forward the request to GoDaddy/WildWestDomains.

How could I contact ICANN in a more effective manner? The way I see it, this is a fraud/forgery on behalf of Godaddy/Wild West.

Quote Originally Posted by joako View Post
    this is a fraud/forgery on behalf of Godaddy/Wild West.
    Indeed it is.

You're basically being held hostage against your will. "Pay us to renew it, or else!" (Assuming the domain expires within that lock period.)

This is why I cringe every time I see somebody suggest Godaddy for domains. They've been known to steal/hijack domains under bogus pretenses ("spam"). They hold you hostage. And they don't care! I think it's very fair to call Godaddy a "dangerous domain registrar" in light of their shady practices.

Not to mention their other services are lousy (hosting, etc).

Use Namecheap or Directnic.
    || Need a good host?
    || See my Suggested Hosts List || Editorial: EIG/Site5/Arvixe/Hostgator Alternatives
    ||

How could I contact ICANN in a more effective manner?
    I once blogged about this subject, but right here:

http://reports.internic.net/cgi/regi...lem-report.cgi

Click the circle beside Transfer Problems, and give specifics of your situation. Also mention in that brief summary box this:

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Zan View Post
    I once blogged about this subject, but right here:

http://reports.internic.net/cgi/regi...lem-report.cgi

Click the circle beside Transfer Problems, and give specifics of your situation. Also mention in that brief summary box this:

Yes I am very aware of the advisory, I have cited it to GoDaddy/WildWest/Arvox on multiple occasions.

When that ICANN form is submitted the response is "We have sent your problem report to ICANN, which will forward it to your registrar" which is exactly what happens: it is forwarded to the registrar with absolutely no further concern or supervision, the registrar replies back and informs me that the transfer is blocked in accordance with their policies. It's basically like trying to debate murder laws with a murderer.

Yes I am very aware of the advisory, I have cited it to GoDaddy/WildWest/Arvox on multiple occasions.

When that ICANN form is submitted the response is "We have sent your problem report to ICANN, which will forward it to your registrar" which is exactly what happens: it is forwarded to the registrar with absolutely no further concern or supervision, the registrar replies back and informs me that the transfer is blocked in accordance with their policies. It's basically like trying to debate murder laws with a murderer.
    Aargh. And Go Daddy et al is still replying that way to you also, huh? Sigh.

Actually, it's more absurd than that.

1) Despite any suggestions to the contrary, I was never prompted to opt in to anything. I've gone back on two occasions and attempted to make whois changes. No opt-in and no warning of any sort.

2) Here's one of the many nonsensical responses they have sent me:

Thank you for your response.

The transfer was not denied because of a change to the Whois. The transfer has been denied per section A.3. of ICANN's Policy on Transfer of Registrations between Registrars (http://www.icann.org/en/transfers/policy-en.htm), regarding acceptable reasons that the Registrar of Record may deny a transfer request:

Express written objection to the transfer from the Transfer Contact. (e.g. - email, fax, paper document or other processes by which the Transfer Contact has expressly and voluntarily objected through opt-in means)

The domain name will be available for transfer on 9/24/11.

Regards,

Matthew Bilunes
    Disputes Supervisor
    Wild West Domains, Inc.
    They cite the same exact section A.3 of the ICANN policy the ICANN advisory refers to!

Another absurd message:

Dear Sir/Madam,

Thank you for contacting Online Support.

When changing the Registrant First Name, Last Name, or Organization you are required to agree to a 60 day lock during which you may not transfer the domain. Only changing one of these three fields would initiate this Opt-in process. With this Opt-in agreement, you are providing us with written authorization to deny any transfers of this domain for 60 days. Please note that in most cases it is not necessary to change the Registrant information in order to transfer a domain, and that you must specifically agree to this before you may complete the registrant information change of the previously described fields. I apologize for any confusion.

Please let us know if we can help you in any other way.

Sincerely,

Gary P.
    Online Support Team
    Yes, both of these messages were sent in 2011, actually within the past month.

So there's the living proof of what I've been saying. It's only if you change "the Registrant First Name, Last Name, or Organization you are required to agree to a 60 day lock"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast