Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

use own system instead of whmcs

Hi there.
    I am building php-mysql web applications for so many years. I guess i can call my self professional web developer.

I am currently using whmcs under trial license. And i came up an idea to create my own system(domain registration query, domain sale and CC payment) instead of using whmcs(i know this will be hard work).

The reasons are:
    1 - License fee.
    2 - So many features probably i won't use most of them.
    3 - Support(i gave them 3/10)
    4 - More CODE == More Vulnerability
    5 - Clients are going to face whmcs interface(it possible to customize interface as exact as my site design but i guess it needs a lot work.)

So i am going to built my own systems because of the reasons i counted above. I want my clients stay in my site. And i do not want to put something which i don't know what is running behind of it.

Now, what i want from you guys is your suggestions and ideas.

Advantages/Disadvantages of using/creating own system.
    Or is there someone in webhostingtalk who did same way that i want to do.
    Regards

Hi,
    I'm sorry to hear you don't rate our support highly, we strive to provide best-in-industry support and we achieve this 99% of the time. Do bear in mind that if you're on the free trial we aren't able to provide support.

If you have any particular grievances feel free to PM the ticket IDs to me and I can investigate.
    WHMCS
    The Complete Client Management, Billing & Support System
    Documentation | Help Guides

There are many companies that have built their own billing and automation systems. It's a lot of work but the advantage is obvious, it is custom tailored to your exact needs. The disadvantage is obvious too, it's a lot of work.

Good luck.

I did what you exactly want to do 7 years ago. I developed my own billing system and integration/automation but eventually abandoned it after 3 years for WHMCS. Why?

1. I did not have time to further develop and enhance the system because of other tasks in the company and I wanted to spend more time with the family.
    2. The business continuity aspect - what happens if you get hit by a bus? Who will update the code? It will be more expensive to hire a dedicated developer.
    3. I got dis-interested after seeing how WHMCS is way way better than mine. WHMCS had a built in ticket support system while mine was purely billing and difficult to work with a 3rd party ticketing system.
    4. While free is good but the headache of maintaining code is burden some for me. The cost of the WHMCS license is very affordable.

I don't want to discourage you. This is based on my experience. Maybe you are PHP guru who can build a better system than WHMCS and eventually sell it to us at a cheaper price! Good luck!
    Last edited by nowanda; 06-03-2011 at 02:07 PM.

Their are many great off the shelf systems (clientexec, whmcs, etc etc) which have been built for the masses and yes do a good job for general functions. If you build your own system their is a bit more of an investment upfront required however the cost savings long term makes it very much so worth it.

The main advantage of rolling your own system is to have it function the way you want it to and based on how you run or want to run your own business. Unlike with off the shelf systems you would potentially hire someone to hack it up to get the functionality/user flow you want to ave. Also of course you will also only have the functions, features you want within your system as opposed to having a bloated system with features that you don't want, need or use.

I also really believe it shows your commitment to your company and thus your customers when you build your own system. As opposed to just buying an off the shelf system and slapping a logo upon it.

The above is my 2 cents and I should not I have nothing personally against any commercial off the shelf system. I just like to have more control and ownership over my CRM systems :-)
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    just a programmer

Quote Originally Posted by chickndip View Post
    Hi,
    I'm sorry to hear you don't rate our support highly, we strive to provide best-in-industry support and we achieve this 99% of the time. Do bear in mind that if you're on the free trial we aren't able to provide support.

If you have any particular grievances feel free to PM the ticket IDs to me and I can investigate.
    That's true. Your support is bad honestly too bad.
    I waited 4 days to get reply from whmcs. What if that was an urgent problem.
    You said trial license doesn't cover support. But trial licenses also your potential customer and their purchasing percentage is much higher than any other person.

If whmcs keep acting like this sorry to tell you that near future whmcs may lost leading.

Anyway thanks for comment.

@PCTechMe : Thanks for suggestion.

@mjfroggy : Thank you for your comment. As you said whmcs has many great features no doubt. But as i said in my first post integration seems take a lot time. As a programmer i say again More Code means More vulnerable.
    All i need is as same as hostmonster or hostgator. when you go them page for purchasing any products everything running in their web site.
    But in my case customer has to go to whmcs's cart and use whmcs interface.

Long story short... all i want is my clients register domain and create account in whm and pay via CC
    3 simple steps i am using resellerclub, whm/cpanel and paypal for CC process. So, all those companies has their own API and i can able to integrate into my own interface.

i am 100% salute and supporting you on building your own billing/clinets management!
    please cmiiw always

Quote Originally Posted by craig joe View Post
    i am 100% salute and supporting you on building your own billing/clinets management!
    hi craig_joe.
    is this irony ??

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by sniperscope View Post
    is this irony ??
    No!! it's not an irony, i am sure some one is capable to build something like whmcs did! after all, it's only about database and scripting!

i am on supporting you (morally)
    please cmiiw always

i didn't mean i am going to build same system as whmcs.
    I said i need 3-4 features for now. Repeat for NOW.

Anyway, thanks for your support(morally).

By the way, i am just asking people's suggestions who did same thing what i want to do. if people do not suggest it then i won't do it.

This is not my finally decision.
    Last edited by sniperscope; 06-03-2011 at 03:36 PM.

Since your just offering shared hosting and not vps, dedicated servers etc. What you need is actually really easy to build.

you could plop something like this code
    http://www.zubrag.com/scripts/create...hm-account.php

on your page that a user goes to after payment has been confirmed

the most time consuming portion of the system you will find will be making the order form. However try not to make it too complex because customers like quick simple forms. everything else is all about pulling data from the dbase and updating data in the dbase which their are millions of tutorials on you could use to copy and paste code from (i.e., for support ticketing, etc).

Lastly keep in mind as one other poster commented on make sure you comment all your code. This should be common practice but I will mention it anyway. In case god forbid something happens to you someone else will be able to look at your code and understand what you were doing :-) you should also make a quick word doc explaining how your system works. Which will serve as a training doc as you grow you can use for any staff you hire and or if something happens to you.
    just a programmer

I want to make an own system instead of whmcs too.
    but i am not good at writting programe.
    I think it is need to :
    1. easy to install and use
    2. use faster
    3. can change head and foot easy( to be more close to other page)

I also want to get the programe at first time.
    if you are ok,can you send it to jimmy0017@163.com at the first time?

Hi there.
    The reasons are:
    1 - License fee.
    5 - Clients are going to face whmcs interface(it possible to customize interface as exact as my site design but i guess it needs a lot work.)
    1. Time is money. You don't want to pay a few dollars for a license but your willing to invest countless hours into the initial development and ongoing maintenance required?

2. But when you do need them, they are already there.

3. Maybe you had a bad experience? Matt and team have provided excellent support on the few occasions we have required clarification.

4. Not true. Sloppy code = more vulnerability

5. WHMCS is quite customizable (especially the client area) and the time you will spend building your own system and theme will be much more time than it would take to skin WHMCS.

Let's not forget:

* If any 3rd parties update their API's you must immediately do so. Therefore, you must stay on top of everything.

* If something happens to you and you can no longer continue development... what happens? Do you want to pay a good fee for a reliable programmer to come in, learn the system and then perform the work required?

Business is about smart work, Instead of spending time behind reinventing the wheel you can spend the same time in advertising of your business or maybe something that will bring you more business.

When you can get a good billing software at $20 per month, I don't feel one should put efforts in developing same thing again.

If you love development or scripting may be think of some script that will earn you some money

Custom billing script is only good if you are planning something big. Nothing comes for free. You need to have a team working behind your script always. Regularly apis get updated. Cpanel, paypal etc they keep updating and you need to apply these changes immediately. So if you are paying for WHMCS or whatever billing script remember you are not wasting it. If you were to keep an updated personal billing script you will end up spending more than what you are spending behind whmcs.

Hi there.
    I am building .........

The reasons are:
    1 - License fee.

1. Are you kidding me? whmcs license is cheap cheap.

2. We don't use all the features and most company will not use them, but its good to have them, when you will need them.

3. support is slow on their part, but whmcs community is the biggest one, if you have problems you do both things at the same time place a ticket on whcms support and place a post here or in whmcs forums and somebody will show up quick.

4. don't know how many company's use whmcs, but I guess a lot, and trust me if there is any vulnerability it will be known fast, it will be like the cholera.

5. most clients in my case are more concern about 24/7 live chat, than having a WHMCS logo somewhere when they pay me, I payed like 25$ for integration, so it looks appealing to the eye.

I would suggest more of making money and have your customers happy and less of "one man army"
    Offshore Hosting & High Privacy in Panama
    Cloud Servers & Shared Web Hosting | Daily Backups | 99.9% Uptime
    www.OffshoreRacks.com

Although WHMCS,Clientexec, etc etc are great billing systems they do nothing to raise your companies value. Unlike if you had IP (aka intellectual property) that is unique to your business such as a customer billing/CRM system. For those who want to incease their companies value the best way to do it is create IP.

Just my two cents
    just a programmer

Dear All
    Thank you so much for your valuable comments.
    Esp. bluemediaprint. You were right. So i decided stay with whmcs.

To all who judged me! i did not meant i am going write some software that equal of whmcs. I said i am thinking to build my own domain check system and CC system for paypal. Because of reason i mentioned in my first post.

Stay cool

Personally, I think it'd be a very bad idea to build your own system. We use WHMCS and have done for some time now. It's nice to know there's a team of developers that are working hard to improve the software that essentially runs our business.

As for there support, we've always had support tickets replied to within 24 hours which I think is quite reasonable, however, if you're looking for faster responses, try ClientExec.

As for the integration, it really isn't that much work. We've not done it yet because we're working on a new site but there are companies out there that will do it for $25 so can't be that difficult

Seriously, WHMCS is probably THE most respected billing system in the hosting industry so to say there may not be a future in it is very poor in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by craig joe View Post
    Hello Craig
    I did it. I finally created my own code.
    What it makes...: Hmmm accept Credit Card payment, Register domain, update domain user information, create account in whm, send welcome mail(i use WHMCS mail template completely, Because well written) and so on so on.

I waited 4 days to get reply from whmcs. What if that was an urgent problem.
    I'm going to call BS on this one right now. NEVER, in my 5 years of having an owned license did support take more than 24 hours to put out an initial response which (usually) fixed everything right up. If it didn't, the problem WAS resolved within 2 days, and usually that only took so long because Matt had to get something custom done.

You said trial license doesn't cover support. But trial licenses also your potential customer and their purchasing percentage is much higher than any other person.
    I can honestly see WHY they don't offer trial support, seriously. They DON'T say they don't offer 'trial support', however, merely not one on one support. Go to their forums, get support there, and you're set.

WHMCS support is anything but 'lacking'. I'm not going to say they're perfect, but it's much better than you would get from pretty much any major corporation out there.
    Tom Whiting, WHMCS Guru extraordinaire
    Linux problems? WHMCS Problems? Give me a shout
    Check out my WHMCS Addons

Hello linux_tech
    Well, i don't need whmcs anymore(at least for now) My code can do what i need(at least for now). I will definitely will buy whmcs but not today.

Do you know cPanel? That's what i call support and customer care. cPanel doing fantastic job. They don't care you have trial license or paid license, whenever you need help they are right there.
    First time in my life i paid for a software. Dedicated license is $425 and believe me cPanel worth much more than that price. Software is excellent, support is excellent and customer care is fantastic.

Let me i tell you a tiny story we use all the time in my country.

Someday peoples went to wolf's cave and asked to wolf "why is your neck so tick?"
    Wolf replied "because, i do my job by myself".

Got the idea?

Have a nice day.

Do you know cPanel? That's what i call support and customer care. cPanel doing fantastic job. They don't care you have trial license or paid license, whenever you need help they are right there.
    Comparing cPanel ( a major corporation with hundreds of employees dedicated just to support ) to WHMCS is inappropriate. They're not even in the same category here. Of COURSE, cPanel offers you trial support, because they have employees to spare on this.

WHMCS, on the other hand may (may) have dozens of employees, but I'd be willing to bet those dozens are more like a dozen, if that, and when it comes down to it just one programmer (unless Matt's hired someone else to help him which would be good)

The point here is that you're not making a valid comparison. WHMCS is a small company and prefers to keep it that way. Don't like the trial support (it is provided, just not via ticket)? Don't go there, but don't come here complaining about 4 day support turnaround on a 'trial'.

The focus of any business is and always should be on maintaining customer relationships. Getting new business is good, but existing customers should always have the highest priority.
    Tom Whiting, WHMCS Guru extraordinaire
    Linux problems? WHMCS Problems? Give me a shout
    Check out my WHMCS Addons

I think your logic for wanting to create your own system does not make a lot of sense. If you're not using features then you don't use them in WHMCS. Developing your own system still costs you money.

The advantage of your own system come into play when you actually need it. So you need to do things the system does not support. You've grown to a size a lot of things are cumbersome for your business. As a result you wish to change backend and frontend functionality to better suppose your business.

Basically a lot of this is about being of a larger size. At that point one can justify the costs as you could already have a development team of some kind in house. The systems all work great for smaller outfits running traditional setups. There are issues when you become bigger which your own system does make sense. If you're running 30 different brands it's easier to have your own integrated system on the backend to manage them all while front facing is different for each brand. The backend itself being aware they are different brands as well is key. This is a great example of a reason to have a custom system.
    Tony B. - Chief Executive Officer
    Hawk Host Inc. Proudly serving websites since 2004
    Quality Shared and Cloud Hosting
    PHP 5.2.x - PHP 8.1.X Support!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast