Anyone better than HawkHost?

I'm looking for a new host.

All day the websites (I'm a reseller) has been up and down, and now they've decided to do the emergency maintenance not at 2 or 3am but 10PM Eastern Time which means it's 7pm on the west coast which is prime websurfing time.

What do you guys suggest? I'm willing to pay a more if it means reliability.

I've heard a lot about hostgator, good and bad, and their "unlimited space/bandwidth" claims is enough to scare me off. Are there any decent hosts left? All of the websites are just basic websites with a little php and mysql.

I assume you're with HawkHost currently... What is the emergency maintenance for? (I can look, but easier to just ask).
    Michael Denney - MDDHosting LLC
    New shared plans for 2016! Check them out!
    Highly Available Shared, Premium, Reseller, and VPS
    http://www.mddhosting.com/

http://forums.hawkhost.com/topic/153...4993#entry4993

The maintenance isn't related to them, but their datacenter. Atleast they are being proactive and telling you about it.

Every provider is going to have outages, we had one yesterday in fact on one of our servers. It's how shared hosting works.

They did post the emergency repair on their site. You can subscribe to your server thread to get advance notifications via email.

http://forums.hawkhost.com/topic/153...ance-06022011/

I was hosted on HostGator for a short while. Now I'm happily hosted on HawKHost.
    Hosting is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're gonna get.

Quote Originally Posted by hassi View Post

All day the websites (I'm a reseller) has been up and down, and now they've decided to do the emergency maintenance not at 2 or 3am but 10PM Eastern Time which means it's 7pm on the west coast which is prime websurfing time.

What do you guys suggest? I'm willing to pay a more if it means reliability.

I've heard a lot about hostgator, good and bad, and their "unlimited space/bandwidth" claims is enough to scare me off. Are there any decent hosts left? All of the websites are just basic websites with a little php and mysql.
    If you can't deal with a few minutes of downtime here and there, especially when it is out of the hosts control (ie. a datacenter network issue), you're going to need to do some major thought adjustment, or seek out a custom solution for extremely high availability.

wow just realized next month is my 10 year anniversary on this site. Man I've been doing this tooo long....

So basically HawkHost is the best and just suck it up?

Today has been a bit rough in WDC, I'll give you that. The reason though is no fault of ours and once the maintenance is completed and confirmed fixed, we'll be posting an official notice on that

The issue is with our upstream provider. The first major outage earlier in the day was the first instance (at least for us) that they confirmed there was a forwarding issue with one of their aggregate switches. Other users on their forums confirmed that we were not alone in experiencing the problems. Later in the afternoon we received a priority maintenance notification, and at that point we posted on our forums.

What we've been told is that our upstream engineers had to consult Cisco TAC and they identified a bug in the software the switch was running. The maintenance window was to perform an emergency code change on the effected router to presumably resolve the issue.

I'm extremely sorry for the issues and understand how frustrating it can be, especially with how sporadic it's been. Hopefully this bit of explanation helps change your mind about where the root of the issues were!
    Brian F. - Operations Manager
    Quality Shared and VPS Hosting
    Hawk Host Inc. Proudly serving websites since 2004

wow just realized next month is my 10 year anniversary on this site. Man I've been doing this tooo long....

So basically HawkHost is the best and just suck it up?
    There is no "the best", it all depends on your budget, requirements, locations and needs. If HawkHost is working well for you, stick with them.

If you have been happy with HawkHost as a customer for some time, I'd stay. Moving all your sites to another host just to find out the grass isn't really greener is going to suck.
    Hosting is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're gonna get.

Quote Originally Posted by TheJoker View Post
    If you have been happy with HawkHost as a customer for dome time, I'd stay. Moving all your sites to another host just to find out the grass isn't really greener is going to suck.
    Agreed, if the OP moved their sites they would incur quit a bit more downtime than was experience from todays minor outage.

Quote Originally Posted by Zach Nelson View Post
    If you can't deal with a few minutes of downtime here and there, especially when it is out of the hosts control (ie. a datacenter network issue), you're going to need to do some major thought adjustment, or seek out a custom solution for extremely high availability.
    few minutes here and there is nothing, it was a few minutes every hour or two from about noon on. According to them it actually started about 10:30am.

If it was some blog or something I wouldn't care, but there's some businesses on here selling stuff and being the reseller I get to hear about it.

thing that really gets me is the maintenance being done when most of the US is up and surfing. If they would have waited at least another 4 hours that would have been much better.

Don't let something like that scare you away from a host if they provide good services. It is all marketing. Pretty much every shared host is overselling regardless of whether or not they advertise unlimited or not. What do you think would happen if every client used their hundreds of gigs of bandwidth and disk space on a shared box? That's why they all have system resource limits in their TOS. You're gonna hit those before you hit your other limits regardless.

few minutes here and there is nothing, it was a few minutes every hour or two from about noon on. According to them it actually started about 10:30am.

If it was some blog or something I wouldn't care, but there's some businesses on here selling stuff and being the reseller I get to hear about it.

thing that really gets me is the maintenance being done when most of the US is up and surfing. If they would have waited at least another 4 hours that would have been much better.
    Have you read HawkHost's reply? It was EMERGENCY maintenance to a piece of hardware potentially serving thousands of customers. It's not just you. Everyone has downtime, and everyone has to deal with it

If you need uptime to a degree where a day of good and bad interconnectivity to your website is going to effect your business that dramatically, you need to invest in a higher availability system.

I'd advise letting your clients know as soon as possible then, because it's unlikely you'll be able to get everything moved and online elsewhere before the window... Which leaves me making the point that you're not going to solve your issues by moving and are more likely to end up at a less stable provider causing you more issues in the future.

We recently had issues with our core routers where it was necessary to engage Cisco TAC as well. We had about 20 minutes of downtime that resulted in the facility contacting Cisco's TAC due to the nature of the issue and then we had emergency maintenance a few hours later to upgrade the iOS on the routers which resulted in 5 to 15 minutes of packet loss.

I can only guess as to what the Cisco issue is, but if it's similar to what we faced, ultimately there isn't much they can do about it.

If you want to be mad at somebody, be mad at Cisco for putting buggy software on the switch/router. Beyond that - I'd simply let your clients know and hold tight.

Quote Originally Posted by TheJoker View Post
    If you have been happy with HawkHost as a customer for some time, I'd stay. Moving all your sites to another host just to find out the grass isn't really greener is going to suck.
    Yes, been with them for years.

Seeing how everyone seems to be sticking up for them I'll give them another shot but man is this frustrating Even my own business was affected and today was the one day I had time to go through and add new features and I couldn't get much done with the site going up and down all day

Quote Originally Posted by JaJae View Post
    Don't let something like that scare you away from a host if they provide good services. It is all marketing. Pretty much every shared host is overselling regardless of whether or not they advertise unlimited or not. What do you think would happen if every client used their hundreds of gigs of bandwidth and disk space on a shared box? That's why they all have system resource limits in their TOS. You're gonna hit those before you hit your other limits regardless.
    I can tell you right now, there are a lot of shared hosts that don't oversell. In fact, a majority of them don't. As you said it's a marketing gimmick, and when it boils down to it, the hosts that offer unreasonable resources for an unreasonable price, are going to be the ones breaking through the ice and getting hypothermia.

Seeing how everyone seems to be sticking up for them I'll give them another shot but man is this frustrating Even my own business was affected and today was the one day I had time to go through and add new features and I couldn't get much done with the site going up and down all day
    Look at this from their perspective for a moment though... You have how many clients/sites affected? Now think about how many HawkHost has that are affected... Whatever damages/issues/annoyances it's causing for you it's certainly worse for HawkHost. If they could have/could avoid it they would for sure.

If you've been happy for years, don't let a single day cause you to make a rash decision.

Completely understandable - this issue is actually a larger issue from our provider which affects us (and all of their clients in this facility). Unfortunately it's one of those things that is really out of our control until engineers can fix it.

For what it's worth it's extremely frustrating on our end as well - hopefully it's all settled soon and we can all sleep
    Cody R.
    Hawk Host Inc. Proudly Serving websites since 2004.
    Let's Encrypt Sponsor.

Every host will have some downtime at one point or another, this is not something you can run away from.. What's important is how your provider deals with such problems when they arise. I don't think it's fair to blame HawkHost in this situation, they seem to be doing everything in their power to correct the problem. If you can't handle ANY downtime EVER, then host your client's websites on thousands of multiple servers, like Google.

P.S. - At least you have been notified and can forward the message to your clients.
    HOSTLEET.COM, LLC - Elite Website Hosting Since 2008!
    Fast Reliable Affordable Secure Friendly & Courteous
    RISK-FREE Money Back Guarantee PCI-Compliant Checkout
    U.S.A Based & Operated Read Through Our Most F.A.Q's!

i've been with hawkhost for more than 2 years. and have a good services.

Quote Originally Posted by dshadow View Post
    i've been with hawkhost for more than 2 years. and have a good services.
    Thank you for sharing.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeDVB View Post
    Thank you for sharing.
    Lol Mike, I'm not sure if that post added to the discussion very much.

Quote Originally Posted by Zach Nelson View Post
    Lol Mike, I'm not sure if that post added to the discussion very much.
    Nor did the post that I quoted, nor your response to my post, nor this response to your response

Quote Originally Posted by MikeDVB View Post
    Nor did the post that I quoted, nor your response to my post, nor this response to your response
    Anyway...

Good luck to the OP on finding himself either a new host, or with stability at his current post. My involvement in this thread has met it's end.

cheers!

A friend of mine suggest Gator instead of Hawkhost

I have not had the pleasure of doing any sort of business with hawk host, but I can tell you hostgator is on of the top of the line people to host with for resellers. I wish you the best of luck!

As with any emergency, there's going to be some discomfort. HawkHost has been completely upfront here, so Kudos to them. I also would NOT recommend moving - the grass is not always greener with another provider. The best to all in resolving this.
    ProlimeHost- Dedicated Server Hosting & KVM SSD VPS
    Three Datacenter Locations: Los Angeles, Denver & Singapore
    SuperMicro Hardware | Multiple Bandwidth Providers | 24/7 On Site Engineers