Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hurricane Electric

Is Hurricane Electric bandwidth good quality? Do they have any tier 1 peers? How is their connectivity to Europe?

Quote Originally Posted by Zach Nelson View Post
    Is Hurricane Electric bandwidth good quality? Do they have any tier 1 peers? How is their connectivity to Europe?
    I know that its "budget bandwidth" and you get what you pay for

If you want good connectivity to europe I recommend the likes of Level 3
    UK Based Proactive Server Management.
    Zabbix Enterprise 24/7 Monitoring.

Do they have decent connectivity with in the US and Canada?

Who, H.E or Level 3?

Quote Originally Posted by cd/home View Post
    Who, H.E or Level 3?
    H.E.

I know level 3 is quality.

H.E.

I know level 3 is quality.

I might not be 100% correct on this but I think Cogent has better connectivity within US than H.E

If you want "Budget Bandwidth" with a goodish coverage I think Cogent is the way to go...
    Last edited by Server Management; 06-02-2011 at 07:12 PM.

I might not be 100% correct on this but I think Cogent has better connectivity within US than H.E

If you want "Budget Bandwidth" with a goodish coverage I think Cogent is the way to go...
    If I was forced to choose between the two, I would take Cogent.

Quote Originally Posted by RyanD View Post
    Care to drill abit deeper into why you select Cogent

Care to drill abit deeper into why you select Cogent
    I second this.

We added HE.net to our network back in February, and have been generally quite happy with the overall network performance, especially when price is factored in. Their NOC is friendly and knowledgeable, and the odds are if you call in you will be talking directly with someone who has router access that can fix any problem you might be experiencing. The HE.net network is extremely well peered, including a number of Tier-1 peers and/or transit connections. If you care about IPv6, nobody is even close to them in terms of number of connected networks.

We utilize Cogent as well, but only for 'customer' routes since they have a history of getting into disputes with peering partners that can negatively impact network traffic with little or no notice to customers. They do have a lot more POP's than HE.net, but they have virtually no presence in Asia which is important to us, and generally I've seen their pricing to be a bit higher than what I get from HE.net, albeit not by much. I can say we've seen no capacity or over-subscription issues, which were definitely a problem as recently as a few years ago.

Comparing either of these networks to Level3 is pretty pointless IMO, since there is such a big difference in cost - Level3 will typically cost you 2.5 - 5 times more than either HE.net or Cogent when buying direct.
    Rob Tyree
    Versaweb - DDoS Protected Cloud and Dedicated Server Hosting
    Fiberhub - Affordable Colocation Services in Las Vegas, Dallas, Miami, and Seattle

RyanD,

That's an interesting sentiment, considering that it looks like your company is using HE.net for a lot more routes than they use Cogent for -

http://bgp.he.net/AS46562

Thoughts?
    Rob Tyree
    Fiberhub - Affordable Colocation Services in Las Vegas, Dallas, Miami, and Seattle

HE IPv4 is fine.
    HE IPv6 is the BEST you will ever get.

I would take HE over Cogent at anytime.

Yes, very.
    Also good routes to Asia (JP, CN, HK and alike).

Quote Originally Posted by Rob T View Post
    RyanD,

That's an interesting sentiment, considering that it looks like your company is using HE.net for a lot more routes than they use Cogent for -

http://bgp.he.net/AS46562

Thoughts?
    I think Ryan was referring too which would be best for the OP and if he was in the OP's shoes he would pick Cogent...

After all spouting about worldwide connectivity is pointless when the OP is directly asking about connectivity to and from Europe...

Comparing either of these networks to Level3 is pretty pointless IMO, since there is such a big difference in cost - Level3 will typically cost you 2.5 - 5 times more than either HE.net or Cogent when buying direct.
    The OP is looking for solid connectivity to and from Europe plus good connectivity within the US based on this Level 3 would be a fantastic choice to make, If the budget isnt their for it then Cogent would be sufficient for the OP's requirements.
    Last edited by Server Management; 06-02-2011 at 08:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RyanD View Post
    +1 , Cogent gets a bad rap but... I've had nothing but success with them for both IP and point-to-point ethernet circuits.
    SPEAKservers, LLC - Premium Hosting Solutions
    Dedicated & Virtual Servers - Colocation - Transport/DIA - VoIP
    sales@speakservers.com / scott@speakservers.com

The OP is looking for solid connectivity to and from Europe plus good connectivity within the US based on this Level 3 would be a fantastic choice to make, If the budget isnt their for it then Cogent would be sufficient for the OP's requirements.
    Agreed - Level3 runs a good network. However, given that the title of the thread is "Hurricane Electric", I made the logical leap that the OP was looking for a more budget-oriented product, hence my comments. If that's not the case, my apologies.

As far as connectivity in Europe, I recently noticed that HE.net's network map has been updated with a number of pending European POP's that should be established soon (Dublin, Madrid, Milan, Vienna, Prague, and Warsaw), which should make their connectivity in Europe even better than it is now.
    Rob Tyree

Agreed - Level3 runs a good network. However, given that the title of the thread is "Hurricane Electric", I made the logical leap that the OP was looking for a more budget-oriented product, hence my comments. If that's not the case, my apologies.

As far as connectivity in Europe, I recently noticed that HE.net's network map has been updated with a number of pending European POP's that should be established soon (Dublin, Madrid, Milan, Vienna, Prague, and Warsaw), which should make their connectivity in Europe even better than it is now.
    Actually everyones got it wrong. I'm not really looking to guy bandwidth, rather, looking to see what kind of network HE runs because I am considering a provider which uses it as their main bandwidth provider.

Actually everyones got it wrong. I'm not really looking to guy bandwidth
    Its still based upon the same principles though

*buy

(ten characters)

Actually everyones got it wrong. I'm not really looking to guy bandwidth, rather, looking to see what kind of network HE runs because I am considering a provider which uses it as their main bandwidth provider.
    I was going to chime in on my opinion of HE, until I recognized your name after reading this statement.

For everyone else reading the thread, my main opinion is that their US network is good, and that their European network could use some improvements.
    IOFLOOD.com -- We Love Servers
    Phoenix, AZ Dedicated Servers in under an hour
    ★ Ryzen 9: 7950x3D ★ Dual E5-2680v4 Xeon ★
    Contact Us: sales@ioflood.com

Quote Originally Posted by funkywizard View Post
    I was going to chime in on my opinion of HE, until I recognized your name after reading this statement.

For everyone else reading the thread, my main opinion is that their US network is good, and that their European network could use some improvements.

Your going to find most networks either have a good US footprint, EU or Asia and there is no "master provider".... hell L3 isn't even considered a real Tier1. They are only a tier1 in the US.
    Yellow Fiber Networks
    http://www.yellowfiber.net : Managed Solutions - Colocation - Network Services IPv4/IPv6
    Ashburn/Denver/NYC/Dallas/Chicago Markets Served zak@yellowfiber.net

HE dumps most of their EU traffic off in peering exchanges. In general it works well, I don't think you have much to worry about. I'd be more concerned with your chosen provider's network management than I would be about HE's network.
    Fast Serv Networks, LLC | AS29889 | DDOS Protected | Managed Cloud, Streaming, Dedicated Servers, Colo by-the-U
    Since 2003 - Ashburn VA + San Diego CA Datacenters

Quote Originally Posted by FastServ View Post
    HE dumps most of their EU traffic off in peering exchanges. In general it works well, I don't think you have much to worry about. I'd be more concerned with your chosen provider's network management than I would be about HE's network.
    I was under the impression that most European traffic is peered in general, and at that, a heck of a lot of it at the major peering exchanges. So I wouldn't expect that's the reason the performance isn't quite what I would want for EU traffic.
    IOFLOOD.com -- We Love Servers
    Phoenix, AZ Dedicated Servers in under an hour
    ★ Ryzen 9: 7950x3D ★ Dual E5-2680v4 Xeon ★
    Contact Us: sales@ioflood.com

+1 for HE we have used them for a very long time (I think we were customer #66). We are just in the process of adding L3 to our mix but as it is not installed yet can not comment on them.

We had some issues a few months ago where the HE link to Denver was over-saturated causing some issues but once they turned that link up we've not had any issues with them.
    Michael Denney - MDDHosting.com - Proudly hosting more than 37,700 websites since 2007.
    Ultra-Fast Cloud Shared and Pay-By-Use Reseller Hosting Powered by LiteSpeed!
    cPanel • Free SSL • 100% Uptime SLA • 24/7 Support
    Class-leading support that responds in minutes, not days.

Not a fan of HE. We've been in their FMT2 data center for three plus years. We had two outages in the past month caused by DDoS attacks against their lone core router at FMT2. There have been at least two other outages because of other BGP issues/oversubscription in their network.

They finally realized they need a second router at FMT2 but not in time to keep our business.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast