Why Would I Ever Need A Dedicated Server?

I'm just curious why I would ever need a Dedicated Server when there are a few VPS hosts that offer fully-managed packages that have similar specs to a dedicated server but at a lesser price.

I've seen some of the more popular VPS hosts offer packages with up to 8GB with powerful processors and a ton of disk space and bandwith with managed support included.

For someone like me who probably can't manage and properly secure his own server. Why would I ever want to give up the managed support that's offered by most VPS companies. In addition, most VPS hosts offer control panel's like Plesk or cPanel at a discounted rate or even free. Why would I ever want a dedicated server and have to pay for that myself out of pocket? I know it's not much but still..

At that rate, why would I need to get a dedicated server? What's wrong with getting the max on a VPS?
    Last edited by ChristopherK; 06-02-2011 at 04:31 PM.

Good point!

Some people prefer to have dedicated servers for "extra speed and flexibility" but often if you go with a decent VPS provider you'll get faster speeds from a VPS server!

If you're wanting to do virtualisation yourself, though, then you'd need a dedicated server.
    Xagga Hosting - extra-value UK-based web host
    VPSnodes.net - the UK's ultimate cloud VPS provider

t: 020 33 973 775 | e: contact[at]ellogroup.com

A good dedicated server would offer more CPU then having fair/equal share of the CPU on a VPS node, Their is also other limiting factors of a VPS such as I/O, etc

Whiles a high end VPS will out perform a low/mid range dedicated server, But if you want alot of CPU power then a dedicated is the way...

When its all said and done a VPS is a shared environment so theirfore requires good management on the hosts side of things to make sure everything is balanced, etc
    Last edited by Server Management; 06-02-2011 at 04:34 PM.

...added this to the original post*

ChristopherK;
    ...For someone like me who probably can't manage and properly secure his own server...
    You will always be at the mercy of the sales department... When they say you need a dedicated server, you will switch to a dedicated server. What other options will you have?

First of all, with a VPS you will only get a slice of the CPU/Memory/Disk IO; where the CPU and Memory can be a hard value or a oversold value depending on the virtualzation used and of course the hosting company configuring it. Disk IO is a much harder problem at ANY virtualized environment.

Also for Dedicated servers you can choose for a Fully managed Server (surely they are a bit more expensive, but you get the full resources of the server, and know exactly what specs you will be getting).

In the end you will always get where you pay for. And nothing is truly free in this world.

I get what you guys are saying now. Thanks for not flaming me

But when it comes to hosting a high-traffic Wordpress blog(for example), how much of a difference does CPU and Memory have an impact with proper optimization (Caching, CDN, etc.) ? How much does CPU, I/O, and Memory make a difference in user loading time and site performance? It seems like having resources of a dedicated server = more powerful and less server load. But can't that be handled successfully in a high-end VPS environment that has hard limits on its resources?

Lack of CPU/MEMORY your site will hang/show errors in simpleton terms, Poor I/O will make your site slow and feel sluggish, Etc...

Quote Originally Posted by ChristopherK View Post
    I get what you guys are saying now. Thanks for not flaming me
    No problem

But when it comes to hosting a high-traffic Wordpress blog(for example), how much of a difference does CPU and Memory have an impact with proper optimization (Caching, CDN, etc.) ?
    You should leave a CDN out of this discussion because that is just off loading load; which might be practical and good practise, but it could be done on as well vps as on shared hosting as well as on dedicated servers.

How much does CPU, I/O, and Memory make a difference in user loading time and site performance? It seems like having resources of a dedicated server = more powerful and less server load. But can't that be handled successfully in a high-end VPS environment that has hard limits on its resources?
    All 3 are equally important and connected to each other; i.e. if you run out of memory you will be swapping to disk, and this does not only count to your account but to all accounts on the vps if the main node is doing it, making the server slow because of its IO use, queing processes which brings up the server load.

That said; a high-end VPS is probably a whole lot more expensive as the VPS you are talking about in your initial message. A VPS is not a bad thing, you just have to know its limitations and see if it fits your needs. It is quite possible that for your needs a VPS is perfect. One thing, a hard limit on CPU and Memory is possible, on disk IO not, and as told above, this is indirectly also affecting cpu and memory even though you have hard limits here.

No matter how good a VPS server is, the general resources are shared by all the vps instance, so as long as one vps server uses too much then the other vps performance will be slow down.