Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    56

    Question What to learn for hosting services?

    Hello All,

    I am willing to start a reseller hosting and in future I may switch to dedicated or VPS as well.

    I just want to know that what I have to learn before starting this? Any networking knowledge required? Or any kind of server language? I am good in computers but not in networking.

    Please tell me the essential thing which I need to learn before starting the hosting services.

    Thanks...

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    3,775
    To start, by yourself and competently:
    - linux/windows server administration (depending on the platform you base yourself on)
    - networking knowledge (how the internet works in general - and I don't mean from an abstract view of servers/clients but how the various protocols work, the role they play etc)
    - security both in terms of server management and networking, best practices etc.
    - indepth knowledge of the products you're selling, i.e. cPanel
    - indepth knowledge of web servers, mail servers, database servers

    Just to name a few, and by no means is the above list exhaustive.

    But you're just viewing things at the moment from a technical perspective, you'll need to be clued up on much more than that which in their own respects are much more challenging. For example:
    - running your own business (you'll need to have a certain degree of business intellect)
    - indepth knowledge of marketing (more than just SEO)
    - good general background knowledge on where you stand from a legal stand point and ensuring you do everything by the books
    - able to cope with the stresses and commit the time to run, nurture and grow your business
    - be able to write a good business plan, marketing strategy and quality assurance policies

    And so much more. The list goes on and on and with each passing day something new is added. While I'm not trying to discourage you, my point is make sure you give this good thought. Asking a general question such as "what's involved" indicates to me you're not remotely ready as you haven't performed enough research or dedicated enough time to find such information out yourself.

    Just understand getting into any business is hard work, and takes a lot of time. Some people just can't cut it and you have to decide whether in the long run you're better off working your way through the ranks at a company you work for rather than trying to do it equally as good or better through working for yourself.

    While being a reseller takes a lot of the work out for you, it's important to understand that you will be the foundation of your business and so you need have the necessary knowledge to ensure a robust foundation.

    All the best!
    InnoHosting, Performance Web Hosting || US: 1-888-522-INNO UK: 0800 612 8075
    Web Hosting - Virtual Servers - Managed Servers - Application Hosting
    Reseller Hosting with WHMCS & Preloaded KB | SSL | activGuard | End User Support
    LiteSpeed / CloudLinux / Idera Backups / True 24x7 Support / 10+ Years in Business

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    56
    Quote Originally Posted by IH-Rameen View Post
    To start, by yourself and competently:
    - linux/windows server administration (depending on the platform you base yourself on)
    - networking knowledge (how the internet works in general - and I don't mean from an abstract view of servers/clients but how the various protocols work, the role they play etc)
    - security both in terms of server management and networking, best practices etc.
    - indepth knowledge of the products you're selling, i.e. cPanel
    - indepth knowledge of web servers, mail servers, database servers

    Just to name a few, and by no means is the above list exhaustive.

    But you're just viewing things at the moment from a technical perspective, you'll need to be clued up on much more than that which in their own respects are much more challenging. For example:
    - running your own business (you'll need to have a certain degree of business intellect)
    - indepth knowledge of marketing (more than just SEO)
    - good general background knowledge on where you stand from a legal stand point and ensuring you do everything by the books
    - able to cope with the stresses and commit the time to run, nurture and grow your business
    - be able to write a good business plan, marketing strategy and quality assurance policies

    And so much more. The list goes on and on and with each passing day something new is added. While I'm not trying to discourage you, my point is make sure you give this good thought. Asking a general question such as "what's involved" indicates to me you're not remotely ready as you haven't performed enough research or dedicated enough time to find such information out yourself.

    Just understand getting into any business is hard work, and takes a lot of time. Some people just can't cut it and you have to decide whether in the long run you're better off working your way through the ranks at a company you work for rather than trying to do it equally as good or better through working for yourself.

    While being a reseller takes a lot of the work out for you, it's important to understand that you will be the foundation of your business and so you need have the necessary knowledge to ensure a robust foundation.

    All the best!
    Thanks a lot for such a detailed reply.

    You are right at most of the points. But, I am already running my small business and I am able to give complete dedication to both and also I always do my homework before starting anything. So, I am not trying to start this setup quickly, not at all.

    As you mentioned that I have to get good knowledge about:

    1. linux/windows server administration
    2. networking knowledge
    3. security in terms of server management and networking
    4. indepth knowledge of web servers, mail servers, database servers etc..

    So, for the above knowledge where do I need to start? From CCNA or something else? I want to start from basics and want to accomplish the above requirements.

    What do I need to study for all of the above?

    Also, is there anything in the above points which can be handled by 1 or 2 professionals virtually? If I am not able to do all of the above at my own.

    Your another great answer is required.

    Thanks..

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    2,877
    There are a few different ebooks about how to start a web hosting provider, you may wish to look into getting one of them
    XeHost.net - Hosting websites since 1999!
    Shared Hosting, Cloud Hosting, Reseller Hosting, VPS Hosting, and Dedicated Servers
    End-User Support, WHMCS, and WHMReseller Available on Reseller Plans!
    Follow us on Twitter - new special every Sunday! @XeHost

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    54
    It is important too know all of that stuff before getting a server and putting client's on it. But if you don't have time to learn it, you could always go with a managed VPS/Dedicated and your Host will do all of your server end things for you (beside's making account's and things).

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    6,385
    You should also consider business courses at a community college. They are extremely helpful, especially classes regarding entrepreneurship! Usually community college classes are quite economical as well.

    Hope this helps

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    56
    Quote Originally Posted by XeHSean View Post
    There are a few different ebooks about how to start a web hosting provider, you may wish to look into getting one of them
    Can you please mention some of the best books so that I can learn through them?

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    56
    Quote Originally Posted by kyle-tilthosting View Post
    It is important too know all of that stuff before getting a server and putting client's on it. But if you don't have time to learn it, you could always go with a managed VPS/Dedicated and your Host will do all of your server end things for you (beside's making account's and things).
    Thanks for your reply. I just want to know about the basic knowledge which is very essential in startup and growing with the business. Only technical one, I will handle the rest. If there is any technical knowledge which is very very important then I am ready to learn it.

  9. #9
    Learn the differences between a web hosting provider and a domain name registrar, and how to choose the web services that are right for you

  10. Newsletters

    Subscribe Now & Get The WHT Quick Start Guide!

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-18-2010, 03:12 AM
  2. Related poll, Learn from books vs Learn from hands-on
    By THW-Dave in forum Web Hosting Lounge
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-19-2004, 10:52 PM
  3. How to learn about Hosting?
    By Pepz in forum Web Hosting
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 02-29-2004, 11:14 PM
  4. Where could i learn about hosting?
    By aaronx88 in forum Dedicated Server
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 11-12-2000, 05:50 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •