can i host buddypress site with any webhosting provider ?

i had designed a buddypress site (wordpress's) ...now my question is that can i host this site on ordinary webhosting provider or i need to find a specific 1 who has support for buddypress and wordpress ....?

yes you can host that to ordinary web host unless you have big traffic on your website.

If your site isn't using much bandwidth,then you should go with shared hosting,however if it is,then you might want to consider switching to a VPS server
    Tiger Host | Shared Hosting - Reseller Hosting - Domain Registration
    ---> 24/7/365 Live Chat & Help Desk Support.
    ---> cPanel 11,Softaculous,Fantastico & more.
    ---> http://www.tiger-host.net

As sysguru mentioned, any host will do. BuddyPress is just a plugin for WordPress, so long as you find a host that supports WordPress (most, if not all do!) then you'll be OK.

... and don't forget to keep WordPress updated! Seeing a lot more instances of people compromising outdated WordPress installations.
    Patrick William | RACK911 Labs | Software Security Auditing
    400+ Vulnerabilities Found - Quote @ https://www.RACK911Labs.com

www.HostingSecList.com - Security notices for the hosting community.

Quote Originally Posted by sysguru View Post
    yes you can host that to ordinary web host unless you have big traffic on your website.
    what should be my plan , if i m expecting around 2000 members in a mounth ?
    like what should be the db , bandwidth , etc etc

Quote Originally Posted by naved View Post
    It really depends on how active those will be. If you are expecting 500-1000 online at a time, it might be better to go for a managed VPS just so you won't be stuck with the shared hosting resource limits (CPU, MySQL connections) and with management when you need help you ask. If you are fairly experienced in servers go with an unmanaged VPS.

However if you are not concerned about the shared hosting CPU/Mysql caps you need an account with maybe 30 GB space and 500 GB bandwidth to be safe.
    Brian Oliver - COO
    XFuse Solutions, LLC
    Fusing Superior Support with Superior Web Solutions
    http://www.xfusesolutions.com

Quote Originally Posted by naved View Post
    First of all, how do you know you'll have 2,000 members in a month? Often times, people highly miscalculate or expect there blog, social networking site, etc to 'take off' with a grand number of visitors and traffic. This is often not the case, unless you're doing some heavy marketing.

Honestly, I would just start with a quality Shared Hosting provider that has plans and products that will allow your website to grow over the course of time. Stay far away from 'Unlimited' hosts if you honestly expect your website to have any sort of real use. If your site grows, eventually you'll need to upgrade from a Shared platform onto something like a VPS. Virtual Cloud Servers are great as you're able to scale your resources (Memory, CPU priority, Storage, and Bandwidth) as needed to sustain the growth of your site.

Anyhow, best of luck! The most important thing you can do at this point is get started off with a quality provider. As I mentioned above, I would not even consider Unlimited Hosting because your needs are rather basic. Wordpress can consume a lot of resources (Memory, CPU), and most Unlimited provider will have you suspended for 'high resource usage' much faster than the typical quality host who does not oversell.
    Last edited by MannDude; 06-02-2011 at 01:38 PM.
    vpsBoard - An active resource for all things Virtual Private Servers. Tutorials, Guides, Offers and more!
    Come join the conversation! 90,000 posts and growing daily! The fastest growing hosting forum around!

every hosting provider would be able to support wordpress but you should search the quality host according to your specific requirements such as disk/bandwidth etc.