* Is fully managed really better than semi managed VPS?

I have a Rails site which we will be constantly developing. I've narrowed it down to either using TekTonic ($30) or Knownhost ($45).

TekTonic offers the first 15 min of support for free and charges $15 for every 15 mins after while Knownhost is fully managed. What kind of services would Knownhost offer that TekTonic wouldn't? I find that pretty much all my tickets with my with my hosts are less than 15 mins (I think, I don't really know), they look at it and make suggestions. The difference that I notice is that Knownhost would install 3rd party software even if it takes more than 15mins. But for my site I would not need any additional 3rd party software. Is there anything else I'm missing?

One benefit of TekTonic is that they offer paid support which might be faster (being more experienced) in solving problems than waiting for my developer?

Is there anything I'm overlooking? Who should I go with?
    Last edited by sharkyJay; 06-02-2011 at 11:15 AM.

I never heard of TekTonic... be sure to read the print on what each management covers. Every provider has a different meaning of semi managed or fully managed. I think you should go with KH just in case in the future you require 3rd party software installed, it's nice to have that additional peace of mind.

Good Luck!

- Brian
    Brian Oliver - COO
    XFuse Solutions, LLC
    Fusing Superior Support with Superior Web Solutions
    http://www.xfusesolutions.com

It's really about your needs and what their support covers. I couldn't find anything about what TekTonic covers in their support, but here's KnownHost's: http://www.knownhost.com/support-coverage.html

I came across TekTonic from a 3rd party monitoring site. Looks like they had the 2nd highest uptime. Their RatePoint reviews were really good.

For 3rd party software I think they offer it as well but I just have to pay if it takes them more than 15 mins to install.

Quote Originally Posted by WickedFactor View Post
    It's really about your needs and what their support covers. I couldn't find anything about what TekTonic covers in their support, but here's KnownHost's: http://www.knownhost.com/support-coverage.html

I agree with you here. At least knownhost.com is showing what exactly they cover. They at least give a service outline.

I think raising a ticket with KnownHost and asking them your questions would be helpful. Keep in mind, most providers will not correct code for you though...
    ██ KVM SSD & SATA VPS | Dedicated Servers | Colocation
    ██ Managed and Self Managed Servers | North Carolina, Washington D.C, London and Texas Data Centers
    ██ www.bigbrainglobal.com | Big Brain Global Networks

You will appreciate fully managed (and it will likely pay for itself) unless you are a VPS and Rails expert. Some issues can take longer then 15 minutes to repair.

You know what they say, go fully managed and you'll never look back.

Even though you may be an expert it saves you alot of time in the long run (it adds up). If you're busy just open a ticket no sweat.
    Brian Oliver - COO
    XFuse Solutions, LLC
    Fusing Superior Support with Superior Web Solutions
    http://www.xfusesolutions.com

The free 15 minutes is just that, any issue related to the server (what we provide / 3rd party install / etc). The vast majority of issues are within 15 minutes, we bill for maybe 30 minutes of support per month out of 5000 customers. It is just a safeguard so we don't have support spending an excessive amount of time on a single issue.
    Matt Ayres - togglebox.com
    Linux and Windows Cloud Virtual Datacenters powered by Onapp / Xen
    Instant Setup, Instant Scalability, Full Lifecycle Hosting Solutions

www.togglebox.com

solely depends on your own team capability. If you doesn't familiar in managing the server it is good to spend a little bit more and let the expert to take care for you. I'd agree if you paid for the support unless you really get your problem solved.
    ControlVM.com :: Cloud Hosting Reliable Xen VPS :: Serving Customer From More Than 40 Countries.
    Hosting Services Available in the USA ● Germany ● Malaysia ● Singapore and Hong Kong

The support email I got from TekTonic is that they don't do ANY 3rd party applications even if it takes less than 15 mins. So it's a standard unmanaged VPS then.

I'm confident my team can handle it but it's about cost and support in the long run. Would TekTonic's support be more efficient and lower cost then getting my own people to do it? That's the question.

Quote Originally Posted by sharkyJay View Post
    The support email I got from TekTonic is that they don't do ANY 3rd party applications even if it takes less than 15 mins. So it's a standard unmanaged VPS then.
    They don't do what exactly with 3rd party applications? Install or debug/maintain? No host, managed or semi-managed, would debug your 3rd party application's code. That's the role of a developer, not your host and system administrators.

Cool

I asked if they can move over our site/application and they responded that they "Our servers are un-managed and clients have to deal with their 3rd party applications and their settings."

So I suspect that they do not install 3rd party software either.

Quote Originally Posted by WickedFactor View Post
    They don't do what exactly with 3rd party applications? Install or debug/maintain? No host, managed or semi-managed, would debug your 3rd party application's code. That's the role of a developer, not your host and system administrators.

I agree with thewiseone 15 min billing time.
    www.Hostd8.com "Where the client comes first!"
    Ultra Fast Unmetered Dedicated Servers
    Ultra Fast VPS's
    Budget Line Shared Hosting

Quote Originally Posted by Pheonix VPS View Post
    You know what they say, go fully managed and you'll never look back.
    "They" being managed VPS hosting providers?

Quote Originally Posted by sharkyJay View Post
    Is fully managed really better than semi managed VPS?
    That depends on you.

If you want to just submit a ticket, fire and forget, do fully managed. If you want to learn and spend time doing things yourself to save a few pennies than you can do the other.
    BLAZINGSWITCH | sales /@/ blazingswitch.com
    SEO HOSTING | ARIN/RIPE/APNIC | 250+ CLASS-B | CLEAN IPv4 LEASING | 1G UNMETERED
    HIGH SPEED WEB HOSTING SOLUTIONS | ENTERPRISE GRADE HARDWARE

Quote Originally Posted by Barefootsies View Post
    If you want to learn and spend time doing things yourself to save a few pennies than you can do the other.
    I think that's a rhetorical understatement, or maybe hyperbole?