Hosting Recommendation Needed

I am looking for a windows vps/cloud host that will be reliable and support the latest Microsoft .NET technologies.

ASP.NET 4
    MVC 2/3
    Entity Framework

I also need a SQL Server 2008 database. Or maybe I can host that with a different provider specializing in SQL hosting.

Without giving too much details about the site, I'll tell you the "kind" of site it is. It's basically a social community website. The members will socially interact with each other through the site using wall, messages, following, likes, etc. It is photo heavy. Everything is custom code wrote from scratch by me.

Also note, all photos and static content will be stored on Amazon S3 and use CloudFront for distribution so the bandwidth won't be that heavy, nor will I need significant storage on the server.

I do expect the DB to grow upwards to 500MB to 1GB over a year or so.

My budget is about $60 / month but will consider higher if I can be sure their quality is good and they won't leave me hanging when it/if it gets busy.

Here's what I looked at so far:

1) 1and1 - horrible reviews...
    2) Server Intellect - sounds great, but 100MB space seems super low
    3) ************** - client of mine uses it, not bad, but not amazing

Any ideas??

Well, you should be able to find something within your budget. Do you have any preference for virtualization technology or location?

On a side note, the last host that you mentioned is actually banned in WHT!
    ██ Softsys Hosting ██ - 9 Years In Business - 24/7 In-House Support - Enterprise DDoS Protection Available!

Enterprise Dedicated Servers - WHT Exclusive Windows & Linux VPS (US/UK/Singapore) - Failover Ready Cloud VM's

Quote Originally Posted by Softsys Hosting View Post
    Well, you should be able to find something within your budget. Do you have any preference for virtualization technology or location?

On a side note, the last host that you mentioned is actually banned in WHT!
    I see that, lol. Guess I can remove them officially. As for the virtualization technology. It's not that important but I heard Hyper-V was better?? As for location, I would much prefer US or Canada, that's my target audience so it'd be nice to keep the latencies down.

I'd also recommend Hyper-V since it has been very stable and works great!
    ██ Softsys Hosting ██ - 9 Years In Business - 24/7 In-House Support - Enterprise DDoS Protection Available!

Enterprise Dedicated Servers - WHT Exclusive Windows & Linux VPS (US/UK/Singapore) - Failover Ready Cloud VM's

I'd also recommend Hyper-V since it has been very stable and works great!
    Ok, thanks.

I notice your company has good looking VPS plans, even your dedicated server is pretty reasonable in price.

The only thing I still need to work out is my actual expected bandwidth each month. Never really worked out an estimate for the web side, only the Amazon side.

However, if I can get a list of solid companies as recommendations, then I can start that process of elimination and work through some more detailed needs.

Taking into consideration your needs, can put forward a suggestion to have a look at m6.net.. I had VPS with my previous host and than switched to m6 shared hosting account because I had not enough money to pay for VPS - everything works as good as on my previous VPS. hope it will help.

Actually I have more to add:

I expect my maximum traffic will be 50000 page views per day and I don't expect that for a year or two. With an average page size of about 250k (the bulk of size is from images offloaded to Amazon), i require roughly (at max):

- 375GB bandwidth per month (would like to double that for safety)
    - handle 15-20 page req/sec (that's a toughy, I know it's based heavily on code performance, so I'll start with a good box and deal with it as I go)

I have decided after many hours comparing prices, I will up my budget to $80-120/mnth and try to find a dedicated server. Unmanaged is fine but I require a quality host with quality hardware. I just want to be sitting on a machine that I don't need to upgrade unless I go beyond my expected maximum load.

So far I am looking at:
    iWeb - like it because it's Canadian like me
    Sofsyshosting - good server prices, good reviews and feedback

Still looking...got a headache from all the research.

Ok, based on what I posted above...whats the best option? Atom has double the ram and more disk space, but is that enough to choose it over the ~3GHz Core 2 Duo?

Intel Atom D525 Dual-Core 1.8GHz w/ HT (4 vCores)
    4GB DDR3 RAM
    250GB 500GB SATA II HDD
    5 TB Premium Transit (100 Mbps)
    Windows 2008 R2 Web Edition EN
    $800 worth SmarterBundle Included
    $99 / month

OR

Core 2 Duo 2.9GHz
    2GB RAM
    160GB SATA2
    100Mbps, 10,000GB Included, $0.25 x GB add.
    Windows 2008 R2 Web Edition EN
    Remote Desktop Only 64 Bits
    $99 / month

From processing perspective, I believe C2D is going to have a slight edge over Atom D525 w/ HT - although, it might not be much significant. I'll however, recommend you to have 4Gig RAM in any event since Windows Server 2008 R2 is a bit RAM intensive + you will reduce paging by a significant amount by having enough RAM on your machine.

From processing perspective, I believe C2D is going to have a slight edge over Atom D525 w/ HT - although, it might not be much significant. I'll however, recommend you to have 4Gig RAM in any event since Windows Server 2008 R2 is a bit RAM intensive + you will reduce paging by a significant amount by having enough RAM on your machine.
    Can you add me to MSN waynehelpard[AT]hotmail.com, I have a question about your boxes. I tried adding you guys using Pidgin(multi-client IM) but it said I couldn't...invalid email.

DMEHosting have windows VPS'S for around $20+

Quote Originally Posted by Macs View Post
    DMEHosting have windows VPS'S for around $20+
    Price is not really the issue and a $20 VPS scares me. Anything too cheap usually has a reason it's cheap. PLus, I really want a dedicated server.

I think I am going to go with softsyshosting, but I need to get a hold of them for a couple pre-sale questions.

Quote Originally Posted by waynehelpard View Post
    Can you add me to MSN waynehelpard[AT]hotmail.com, I have a question about your boxes
    Done! Glad to see your order coming in..

Done! Glad to see your order coming in..
    Ordered and paid

Wow...server was ready to go in record time. Good job.