how much users online can this server handle?

Hello,

i'm about to start new forum (Vbulletin 3.8.7, vbseo, nginx) and i need your suggestion, how much users online at the same time can this server handle?

Intel® Core™ i7-920 Quad-Core inkl. Hyper-Threading-Technologie
    8 GB DDR3 RAM
    2 x 750 GB SATA-II HDD

Loads! If its a new forum are you sure you need to invest that much? A decent VPS could easily handle a VB forum and would cost a lot less
    Virtual6 - UK Dedicated Servers, Colocation and VPS.
    UK Supermicro Xeon E3-1240v3 Dedicated servers, up to 4x drives, 8GB - 32GB RAM.
    European KVM VPS with guaranteed vCPU, Auto DDoS detection & mitigation, Proxmox VE 3.x control panel.

per my knowledge if you follow caching and other good standards it can handle up to 80000 unique per day
    IBEE Hosting
    ------------------
    Dedicated Servers in India | Google Apps Reseller

This can easily handle thousands of simultaneous connections which will be sufficient for a forum of moderate size with good usage.

any other thoughts?

Though this server can handle a few thousand simultaneous user connections easily, going for such a huge configuration for a new forum is foolishness. ukscservers is right. You should go for a vps initially and once the activities on the forum start in full flow, you can think of a dedicated server.
    Prashant T.

Don't run after Success. Run after Excellence and Success will soon follow.

Absolute overkill unless you know you are going to have thousands of users online at the same time from the day of launch.

I would go for a nice decent VPS, with a good chunk of memory, that you can upgrade gradually as your site grows, and then when the time comes, migrate over to a dedicated server of those specs.
    UKDirectHost: Dedicated Servers in the UK, USA, Germany, France and Netherlands.
    Cheap Dedicated Servers | PEER 1 Partner
    Payment Methods: Credit/Debit Cards, 2Checkout, UK Bank Transfers, Moneybookers.
    FraudRecord, a collaborative effort to keep track of bad clients. Protects you from known spammers and fraud.

Lets put it this way - you're unlikely to have the problem of too many visitors. Like other have said, I would recommend finding a cheaper option, at least to begin with.

VPS could handle a VB forum and would cost a lot less when compared to dedicated server.

To be quite honest, if you're just starting your forum, you should probably stick with shared hosting for now. You don't need a dedicated server right off the bat, and if you're with a decent provider, they can assist you in upgrading to one when it's necessary.
    MediaLayer, LLC - www.medialayer.com Learn how we can make your website load faster, translating to better conversion rates for your business!
    The pioneers of optimized web hosting, featuring LiteSpeed Web Server & SSD Storage - Celebrating 10 Years in Business

honestly, it depends on type of clients and your php/apache setting.
    i guess with i7, way many users can be handled...
    Looking for shared or reseller or VPS Hosting ?
    Try our service at https://www.sosys.net!
    Singapore - Indonesia - Malaysia

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Kusman View Post
    honestly, it depends on type of clients and your php/apache setting.
    i guess with i7, way many users can be handled...
    Hi Benny, how does it depend on type of clients? Can you explain about different types of clients.

Quote Originally Posted by Henry wilson View Post
    Hi Benny, how does it depend on type of clients? Can you explain about different types of clients.
    Hi Henry,
    what i meant is that if you have 100clients on this server, and all of these 100 are active and heavily consuming the memory and cpu due to the high users and type of application being run, such as streaming and so on.

but, other case, you may have 1000 clients on this server, and serving only static pages and some of it may not be active clients.
    Looking for shared or reseller or VPS Hosting ?
    Try our service at https://www.sosys.net!
    Singapore - Indonesia - Malaysia