Major downtime at current host. What kind of downtime can I expect if I move host?

Hi, I am having troubles with major downtime on my site now for the past 2 days.

Yesterday, it was down for 7 hours straight.

I have replaced my index.php with a static "Server under maintenance" html page to eliminate the possibility that my CS-Cart powered site is causing the downtime. This is because there were incidents in the past, in which they claim that it was my CS-Cart script that is causing the server overload.
    Which I do agree that at some of the few times; my incorrect configuration of the settings might caused such problems.
    [such as the settings CS-Cart to run mysqli instead of mysql will caused massive sql problems. Or running cache type of CS-Cart as sqlite instead of file]

After the first hour of experiencing the downtime, I emailed the helpdesk to enquire why it was down, since I was sure then that my site is not the one causing the problem. That was when they inform me they were doing server upgrade and it should be back online in a few moments. [After enquiring what upgrade was it, they said it was software upgrade]
    No notification was emailed to me. No notification can be found on their News and Announcements section on their site.

After 5-6 hours, before the server was back to stable condition. Quite a long "few moments" for me. As I am not in US timezone, the downtime happens at the "busiest" period of my timezone. And caused considerable loss of customers. Additionally, I had sent a newsletter the night before. Imagine the customers clicking on the newsletter to a site that is down. *cringes*

Towards the latter period of the downtime, I replied to the ticket, and state that "I wish to change servers. Is that possible?" And no more replies to the ticket have been sent since then. [1 day ago]

Today, at approximate the same time. The same problem happen again. Currently, the server is still down and have been down for the past 2 hours. Server load have been bungee jumping from 20+ to 200+. And of course, similarly, at the first instance of the downtime, I've taken my site offline, so I can be sure it is not my site that is causing the problem.
    I've emailed the support by replying to the same ticket. And for the past hour or so, no replies have been forthcoming.

If it is going to be another 7 hours downtime of the busiest time period of my day, with my requests for change of server not "replied"; I guessed I am really left with no choice but to move.

Just to add, I've been with them since April 2009, and it is one of the most reputable shared hosting webhost here at WHT.

I'm seriously thinking of moving webhosts now. Which is ironic, since I've just paid for another year of plan with them yesterday.

My current host uses cPanel. I've about 6.5-7gb of data with them. I cannot successfully load the cPanel now [since the server is down] to see how much bandwidth I've used on average in the past month.

Hosts I am considering now is stablehost, mddhosting.

Since mine is an eCommerce site, with dedicated IP and SSL installed.

How long will the downtime be if I switch hosts?

are you in shared hosting or vps ?
    there is a little downtime if you move to another provider.
    it's just the matter of DNS propagation (changing the nameserver).
    Looking for shared or reseller or VPS Hosting ?
    Try our service at https://www.sosys.net!
    Singapore - Indonesia - Malaysia

Depends on how big your site is tbh, if the backup is not very big and you're moving from cpanel to cpanel it should not take a lot of your time at all. The only thing that may take time is DNS propagation to your new host for your domain. This may take 24-48hrs depending on your users ISP and DNS settings (usually instant max should be 12 hours or so)

Yes, you would simply have to update nameservers and wait 24-72 hours for propagation.
    CrocWeb :: Canadian Web Hosting
    Accelerate your website, maximum performance!
    www.crocweb.com :: Since 2009 (Montreal, Quebec)

@ CrocWeb

It never took beyond 5-6 hours for my dns to propogate.

Quote Originally Posted by 008Rohit View Post
    @ CrocWeb

It never took beyond 5-6 hours for my dns to propogate.
    Yes, 5-6 hours can be the norm ( Ive had updates that go out seemingly instantly )

It doesn't normally take that long, However it *can* take upto 48hours.

Some ISP's will cache DNS results for many hours before asking for a new record... This is where your "waiting" comes into play most of the time.
    Live Chat Support Software for your Business website - IMsupporting.com

Downtime can be 0 as well. It depends on whether you still want to allow web visitors to visit your old server.
    Jweeb Solutions
    Singapore Web Consulting & Solutions
    Web Consulting - Web Hosting - Web Design & Development and more...
    http://www.jweeb.com.sg - Making the Web Simple!

Just let you know, I have good experience with godaddy domain system, the dns update is almost instant..

Quote Originally Posted by Lincxu View Post
    Just let you know, I have good experience with godaddy domain system, the dns update is almost instant..
    It can be instant, but often, it also largely depends on other DNS servers such as the ISPs
    Jweeb Solutions
    Singapore Web Consulting & Solutions
    Web Consulting - Web Hosting - Web Design & Development and more...
    http://www.jweeb.com.sg - Making the Web Simple!

nodame,

If you go with a web host that sets their TTL's for DNS entries low, you should have very little to no downtime at all - even if the server you're on has a fault and you need to be moved.

DNS is like a phonebook for the Internet, mapping IP's (like telephone numbers) to domain names. To map an IP to a domain name, you need to have an entry in your "phonebook" to tell the visitor's computer where to go. That entry has a refresh time (TTL) which means your DNS/phonebook provider (usually your Internet Service Provider) will check back to see if the DNS entry has changed. Web hosts can specify the TTL/refresh time to as high or low as they like; a good web host will set their TTL's low so that your entries are always up-to-date, but bad web hosts will set them very high so it may take a long time for your entries to update around the Internet.

You will find many cheap / value web hosts set their TTL's to be very high - sometimes days! Potentially, if the web server you're on goes down and even if your site has been moved to another server, that could still mean you are down to most people because the DNS entry hasn't been refreshed.

<<snipped>>

I hope this helps explain why some hosts seem to have longer downtime periods than others!
    Last edited by bear; 06-02-2011 at 07:31 AM.
    Xagga Hosting - extra-value UK-based web host
    VPSnodes.net - the UK's ultimate cloud VPS provider

t: 020 33 973 775 | e: contact[at]ellogroup.com

That is still providing other DNS servers actually pay attention to the TTL. I have known this to be the case in the past where I have lowered it to 1 hour, waited a few days then migrated, the odd servers here and there still won't update as it should have.

Since you said that this is a "reputable" hosting provider in WHT, care to shed light on the company's name here?

Do make sure you have taken all backups (preferably a full cPanel backup) before you name them though as some providers can be quite petty and childish. You would not want them to hold your data as hostage.
    Aspiration Hosting [US UK SG AU] - Cloud Web Hosting | Managed Cloud Server
    LiteMage / LiteSpeed Cache for Magento, WordPress, Joomla, Drupal & XenForo

Web Development Support Unmetered Bandwidth Aspiration CDN Magento Optimized

Any ways to transfer backups directly from one server to another without downloading them on PC locally?
    We indians don't have high speed internet connections so downloading and upload over a GB backup is a pain.

Any ways to transfer backups directly from one server to another without downloading them on PC locally?
    We indians don't have high speed internet connections so downloading and upload over a GB backup is a pain.
    If you have a VPS server, you can purchase external FTP hosting/file space/backup space and send your data to that?

Otherwise, generally there's no other way.

Quote Originally Posted by XaggaHosting-Olly View Post
    If you have a VPS server, you can purchase external FTP hosting/file space/backup space and send your data to that?

Otherwise, generally there's no other way.
    So whats the difference between normal FTP and that?
    I can connect 2 FTP servers and Sync them?

In a way, yes.

You must have root/shell access though - almost all web hosting companies disable this. If you run your own VPS server you won't have a problem.

Server1 - Install FTP ( or SSH )
    Server2 - Download the backup file from server 1 via FTP or SCP

Done..

Transfer is from one server to another without a middle man..
    Guess what.. Its also free as you already have the servers!

Quote Originally Posted by XaggaHosting-Olly View Post
    In a way, yes.

You must have root/shell access though - almost all web hosting companies disable this. If you run your own VPS server you won't have a problem.
    My host offers SSH access. Is that enough?

Quote Originally Posted by lynxus View Post
    Server1 - Install FTP ( or SSH )
    Server2 - Download the backup file from server 1 via FTP or SCP

Done..

Transfer is from one server to another without a middle man..
    Guess what.. Its also free as you already have the servers!
    What software should I use for this ?
    FileZilla doesn't support this.

What software should I use for this ?
    FileZilla doesn't support this.
    in linux, i would just install vsftpd on the server thats got the file.

and then just use any normal ftp client on the second server.

If you have SSH access to both servers, Maybe google for "SCP"

Quote Originally Posted by lynxus View Post
    in linux, i would just install vsftpd on the server thats got the file.

and then just use any normal ftp client on the second server.

If you have SSH access to both servers, Maybe google for "SCP"
    Okay, thanks a lot.

One way is for you to do this is by first generating a backup, place it in a public directory and you can then Wget the file from another server which has SSH access.

Quote Originally Posted by JLHC View Post
    One way is for you to do this is by first generating a backup, place it in a public directory and you can then Wget the file from another server which has SSH access.
    Thanks for letting me know an alternative method James.

Thanks for letting me know an alternative method James.
    No problem.

It could take 24-48 hours for the DNS changes to complete
    Tiger Host | Shared Hosting - Reseller Hosting - Domain Registration
    ---> 24/7/365 Live Chat & Help Desk Support.
    ---> cPanel 11,Softaculous,Fantastico & more.
    ---> http://www.tiger-host.net