Is 6.99 per month too much?

Hi everyone,

I am starting my web hosting company and I would like to know if the starter package at $6.99 is too much.
    I would be proposing :

10GB of Disk Space
    100GB of bandwidth
    and so on...

I would like to precise that I will not be overselling at all.

I think it's a reasonable price for the resource you are offering...
    Subodh Manikoth [Netmagics.com - In Business Since 2007]
    Linux & Windows Hosting | Reseller Hosting | Master Reseller | Alpha Reseller | VPS
    99.9% Uptime SLA | 30 Days Money Back | 24x7 Live Support
    Payment Methods: PayPal/Credit Card, Indian ATM/Debit Cards/NetBanking, Bank Deposit

Ok thanks!

thats a really good price

Don't feel pressured to have low prices because some of the big players in this industry do. Charge what you think your business and support can handle. If you can't turn a profit, nor pay to have reasonable support at $6.99 then bump it up a few dollars. There are many, many people out there who don't mind paying a fair amount for web hosting so long as your service matches what you're asking.
    RACK911 Labs | Penetration Testing | https://www.RACK911Labs.ca

www.HostingSecList.com - Security Notices for the Hosting Community.

Oh ok! So it doesn't seem too much? And $14.99 for 100GB of spae and 1000 GB bandwidth, what do you think about that?

That last one sounds too good to be true, how can you provide that if you do not oversell?
    Fraud Record - Stop Fraud Clients, Report Abusive Customers.
    █ Combine your efforts to fight misbehaving clients.

HarzemDesign - Highest quality, well designed and carefully coded hosting designs. Not cheap though.
    █ Large and awesome portfolio, just visit and see!

I won't have many clients on every server. I am really wanting to not cheat the clients and propose them something that they will really have!

100GB for $14.99 is silly.

Lets be honest you are running a company, you need to turn a profit in order to continue to run and expand, provide support etc.

Lets say your renting a server for $99.99 and you would need a 1.5TB hdd or greater in order to just provide 10 customers hosting. All for $50/month profit. Then minus off your time any additional licences (cpanel/plesk) and you are left nothing.

Then you have to think about backup solutions, additional support staff etc.

IMO of course you are much better to go down the route of providing a much more complete service, say 25/30GB Space for $14.99 but also include extras as in daily backups etc. In reality very very little numbers of customers require such large space and people are becoming more aware that these unlimited and hundreds of GB's of storage for next to nothing tends to mean either 1. oversold service or 2. no long term business plans.

Ok so I will go lower, you are right! So 30GB of space for 14.99.
    The thing is, with all the competition, can I get any customers?

Oh ok! So it doesn't seem too much? And $14.99 for 100GB of spae and 1000 GB bandwidth, what do you think about that?
    It's unlikely you'd be able to provide that, keep the server running properly and make a profit as well.

That being said, with the right TOS clauses that basically enable you to terminate any account that's trying to take full advantage of the offer, it can be done. It's what all budget hosting providers are doing these days.

Personally, I think you're choosing a middle route and you risk to position yourself wrong in the market. $14.99 isn't seen as "cheap", so you won't stand a chance to compete effectively against the budget hosting providers out there (which is what the 100GB and 1000GB seem to suggest to be your goal).

So, either go budget and sell the big plan for $6.99, or sell the small package for something like $25, and focus on quality, both in your presentation and in reality.

Quote Originally Posted by HosterThon View Post
    Ok so I will go lower, you are right! So 30GB of space for 14.99.
    The thing is, with all the competition, can I get any customers?
    Believe me, the one-dollar-a-month-buys-it-all hosts don't get too many customers either and once they do both customers and hosts aren't too happy and the former try to leave because of the poor service and the latter try to sell because of the lack of profits and perspectives. It isn't a viable business model and it hurts the more serious part of the industry.

Ok! Thanks all of you for your input! It really helps me a lot!

Quote Originally Posted by HosterThon View Post
    I would like to precise that I will not be overselling at all.
    I recommend to mention it clearly visible on your website that you don't oversell - in contrast to many other webhosts. Because a hosting company with no overselling is quite special and it will help to explain your higher prices.

Tom Tomson
    IP.MN - the fast and easy way to check your IP Number

not at all, most people charge 6.99/month for 50mb diskspace and 500mb bandwidth.. your offering way more than most.. i'l sign up for your service if you had cpanel and all the standard features most webhost have...

Don't even look at other people prices, just set a price that you feel comfortable and get profit at the same price, focus on the support you will offer.
    Will highly recommend looking for clients locally in your area people that know you for your first customers.
    Offshore Hosting & High Privacy in Panama
    Cloud Servers & Shared Web Hosting | Daily Backups | 99.9% Uptime
    www.OffshoreRacks.com