Read/Write and I/O

I am kind of confused a little bit so please excuse my ignorance.

What type of processes are Read and what types are Write intensive.
    Also what exactly is I/O i mean isn't that same as Read/Write?

If not then what processes are I/O intensive.
    I have tried searching for information on this but i am sure there are experts here to help clarify things for me much better.

Thanks.
    mission critical!

http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/I/I_O.html

Short for input/output (pronounced "eye-oh"). The term I/O is used to describe any program, operation or device that transfers data to or from a computer and to or from a peripheral device. Every transfer is an output from one device and an input into another. Devices such as keyboards and mouses are input-only devices while devices such as printers are output-only. A writable CD-ROM is both an input and an output device.
    Typically databases are IO intensive, as are certain applications e.g. minecraft. When you're dealing with lots of small bits of data (e.g. a database) this is where the high IOPS of SSD shine.
    Dallas Colocation by Incero, 8 years and counting!
    e: sales(at)incero(dot)com 855.217.COLO (2656)
    Colocation & Enterprise Servers, SATA/SAS/SSD, secure IPMI/KVM remote control, 100% U.S.A. Based Staff
    SSAE 16, SAS70, Redundant Power & Network, Fully Diverse Fiber

Quote Originally Posted by gordonrp View Post
    http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/I/I_O.html

Typically databases are IO intensive, as are certain applications e.g. minecraft. When you're dealing with lots of small bits of data (e.g. a database) this is where the high IOPS of SSD shine.
    Can you please explain the difference between I/O and Read/Write? And also what about Read and Write intensive processes. Indepth details will be great.
    mission critical!

In short, downloading would be read and uploading would be write, I/O is the process of download/upload.

Quote Originally Posted by Lincxu View Post
    In short, downloading would be read and uploading would be write, I/O is the process of download/upload.
    So in short I/O is same as Read/Write?
    mission critical!

Quote Originally Posted by nokia3310 View Post
    So in short I/O is same as Read/Write?
    Pretty much but is applicable to not just a disk drive

if you got a lot of small queries onto a database (like ask if a person is male or female) you would have/need high I/O.

If you got a lot of big files on a disk that needs serving over the internet it would require high read/write speeds..

yes, reads and writes cause i/o (inputs and outputs). Typically, you'll be limited on the number of random i/o operations per second, because this is where hard disks struggle, seeking their read/write heads to different parts of the disk. It's typical for a standard 7200rpm sata disk to only be able to handle 100-150 of these random i/o's per second.

A random i/o would be any read or write request to a part of the disk not adjacent to the part of the disk that the read/write head is already at. Examples would be, loading 100 thumbnail images stored in different folders, updating 100 random rows in a 1 million row database.

Keep in mind, because of the way that filesystems work, a given read or write request may actually take up more than 1 "i/o", because the data telling the computer where the file is stored, is on one part of the disk, and the actual file can be in another part of the disk. Similarly, a read request may cause a write request to happen, as it is typical that the file system will keep track of the times and dates that files were most recently accessed.

I/O intensive processes are any software that reads to or writes from the disk frequently, especially in a pattern that is random, such as large databases, or databases that are frequently updated, image hosting, especially thumbnail hosting, or even video streaming if there are a large number of simultaneous connected users.
    Phoenix Dedicated Servers -- IOFLOOD.com
    Email: sales [at] ioflood.com
    Backup Storage VPS -- 1TBVPS.com

Is it right to say most websites are read intensive since mostly its about loading webpages with like images and downloading images?

Quote Originally Posted by nokia3310 View Post
    Is it right to say most websites are read intensive since mostly its about loading webpages with like images and downloading images?
    Usually that's the case, but it's worth mentioning that on a lot of websites, with the same files being loaded over and over again, they will be cached in memory. Only for sites that have a huge number of files, such that they don't all fit in memory, or sites with larger databases, will reading from the disk be very intensive. For a database driven site, writes can be a rather significant portion of total disk i/o as most reads will be cached, but you can't cache writes.
    Phoenix Dedicated Servers -- IOFLOOD.com
    Email: sales [at] ioflood.com
    Backup Storage VPS -- 1TBVPS.com