Question I'm new here- need help please

Hi,

I'm setting up a site using Wordpress for my content management. This may very well be a pipe dream, but I hope my site becomes very, very popular soon. To start out with, I need a webhost for my site. I have been looking at different hosts for the past couple of hours, but I still can't make up my mind, so I decided to turn here.

What I am looking for:
    -Site to upload really, really fast
    -Get a free domain upon registration (as I've yet to register my domain)
    -That I can host as many domains as I want on my plan
    -That I get at least 10 dedicated emails with my domain
    -Good customer service, reliable
    -Cheap: less that $8/month

So far, webstrikesolutions looks goods, but some reviews claim that their email service is not so reliable. Also, they bill you annually, which i don't like, as I'd like the option to leave if/when I want.

HELLPP please! thanks.

I would just take a look around and actually find a service that you want. For a wordpress site, 8/month should be a good budget, however I would stay away from hosts with free domains. If the host closes, you not only lose your sites files, but your domain too!
    Stream101 | Affordable Media Solutions
    Shared/Reseller cPanel® Web Hosting | WordPress Hosting | Premium Stream Hosting
    TOLL-FREE: (877) 240-7767 | 30 Day NO QUESTIONS Money-Back Guarantee
    100% Cogent Free Network | CloudLinux OS | Tier 1 Bandwidth | Grand Rapids, MI

I'd second the advice of avoiding a free domain that comes with a hosting package. You can buy the domain from any reputable domain registrar, and set the nameservers to your new hosting provider.

Also, do you actually need an unlimited number of domains? Actually, I know you don't. The question is: How many do you need? The best hosts only offer to give you what they can actually give you. Say you need to host 5 domains, but you rule out any that don't offer unlimited domains. You could miss out on the right host for you.

I hope your site does become really popular soon. In practice, it takes time. You can see in advance if your site is about to become too busy for your current package, and then you can upgrade. Again, better to get a package with scope to upgrade, than to look for one that offers you the moon for $8 per month. Otherwise you'll miss out on a reliable host, which is more important.
    James

Interested in which hosts I'd recommend? Unmanaged VPS Reviews | Managed VPS Reviews

For a WordPress site you can easily run it on any quality shared hosting without any issues. The biggest thing with WordPress is the resources it uses but again, a quality shared provider should be able to handle a WordPress site without problems. I would stay away from unlimited hosts simply because I haven't seen one that doesn't overload the servers and limit the resources sites can use which if you read these forums, you will see a lot of people getting shut down for virtually no reason.

Depending on the host, a free domain is fine. Keep in mind that just because it is free doesn't mean it isn't your domain. If you leave the company you will have to pay for the domain in most every case, but it doesn't mean it is a bad thing. Some hosts can afford to offer the free domain and so they do. It doesn't mean anything bad although some hosts have been known to cause problems for people when they want to leave or the user doesn't understand why they have to pay for the domain if they are not hosted with that host. Search the forums and find several hosts you like and call them, start a live chat or email them and see who you like best and go for it.
    Last edited by killigan; 05-31-2011 at 10:06 AM. Reason: Added reply to a comment in a post made while i made my last post... didnt want to double post.
    DFGHOSTING.COM 1-866-376-4637
    Cpanel/WHM | SVN/Trac | Softaculous | Fantastico | Word Press and phpBB Design and Development
    Professional Web Hosting | VPS Servers | Reseller Hosting | Dedicated Servers | 30 Day Money Back Guarantee
    Live Video Support | Live Chat Support | End User Web Site Support | No Over selling!

Its great that you want to start your own wordpress website.

I suggest you search more and find a good web provider with positive reviews.

All in all good luck! You can find lots of hosts that meet your needs.
    Shared Hosting, Reseller Hosting, VPS and Dedicated Servers
    www.AQuickHost.com
    Affordable, Fast, Reliable and 100% Satisfaction Guaranteed
    Host with us today!

Quote Originally Posted by JamesOakley View Post
    I'd second the advice of avoiding a free domain that comes with a hosting package. You can buy the domain from any reputable domain registrar, and set the nameservers to your new hosting provider.

Also, do you actually need an unlimited number of domains? Actually, I know you don't. The question is: How many do you need? The best hosts only offer to give you what they can actually give you. Say you need to host 5 domains, but you rule out any that don't offer unlimited domains. You could miss out on the right host for you.

I hope your site does become really popular soon. In practice, it takes time. You can see in advance if your site is about to become too busy for your current package, and then you can upgrade. Again, better to get a package with scope to upgrade, than to look for one that offers you the moon for $8 per month. Otherwise you'll miss out on a reliable host, which is more important.
    Maybe I'm overreaching, but I just want to be able to host more than one domain on my plan. I doubt more than 3-5.

Thanks all for the replies. Do you guys have specific hosts that you suggest I look to? I will look around as well, but specific recs are welcome.

Question- Why should I stay away from "unlimited" plans?

I will also have to point out about free domains, your best bet is to register a domain name you want via a good domain name provider which there are many that will offer a really low price. Then I would check out the offers section here on WHT, as you might be able to get a great offer on hosting

Make sure to keep away from the offers like unlimited everything for $1/Ł1 for life etc, once you find a good provider make sure to Google their company and read some reviews. Google normally brings up the companies reviews on the first page.

Hope this helps, and the very best of luck in your search!

I just want to be able to host more than one domain on my plan
    That's smart, because if the provider won't let you host more than one, you'd have to double your costs just to host a second domain. That's not the same thing as looking for unlimited domains.

Why should I stay away from "unlimited" plans?
    That's all over these forums. They're not necessarily bad, but the problem is that nobody has an unlimited hard disk. So they can't give you unlimited space. That means that there will be a piece of small-print tucked away that does limit what you can use. Far better to buy a plan with clear limits, and know that you are free to use everything that you are offered. Also, anecdotally, people seem to find the unlimited packages to be the ones that have lower reliability.

Do you guys have specific hosts that you suggest I look to?
    For excellent customer service, MDD Hosting is one to look at.
    James

Interested in which hosts I'd recommend? Unmanaged VPS Reviews | Managed VPS Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by heretolearn View Post
    Maybe I'm overreaching, but I just want to be able to host more than one domain on my plan. I doubt more than 3-5.

Thanks all for the replies. Do you guys have specific hosts that you suggest I look to? I will look around as well, but specific recs are welcome.

Unlimited plans are bad because they are almost oversold. Nothing in this world is Unlimited, there is always a limit. If you are purchasing an unlimited plan, chances are other did too. Once those people begin using a lot of their bandwidth or disk space, it will run out. The provider then cannot afford to purchase more, since their prices dont cover their costs.

Looking for 3-5 domains, that would be no problem with most hosts. You want to look for "addon" domains included with a package.
    Stream101 | Affordable Media Solutions
    Shared/Reseller cPanel® Web Hosting | WordPress Hosting | Premium Stream Hosting
    TOLL-FREE: (877) 240-7767 | 30 Day NO QUESTIONS Money-Back Guarantee
    100% Cogent Free Network | CloudLinux OS | Tier 1 Bandwidth | Grand Rapids, MI

What I am looking for:
    -Site to upload really, really fast
    -Get a free domain upon registration (as I've yet to register my domain)
    -That I can host as many domains as I want on my plan
    -That I get at least 10 dedicated emails with my domain
    -Good customer service, reliable
    -Cheap: less that $8/month
    As others have mentioned, I'll chime in and say that you should register your domain name separately from your hosting company and should never, ever take a "free domain with account". Your domain name is the most valuable property you will have, arguably more important than your content, because your on-line reputation will be built upon it. Register it first, even if you don't have a host, and keep it forever if its a good name. You can get a .com for $10 - $12 a YEAR. Its too cheap to marry it to one provider. Oops, "rant off". Sorry about that.

On cPanel hosts, the feature you want to look for is "Add On Domains" (not "Parked Domains"). Some hosts tell you that you can have "Unlimited Domains!" but only if they all point to the same webspace. This is handy if you have a great domain name, and have the .com, .net, .org and .us versions of it. No matter what the customer types in, they get to your single site! That's what "Parked" domains do and that's usually what the hosts advertising "Unlimited Disk Space" give you. If you want a different web page displaying for your different domains, you have to buy another account.

If the host allows you "Unlimited Add On Domains", you can create completely separate web sites within your plan's limits. So if you have 1GB of space, you can create as many web sites as fit into that space. A default installation of Wordpress uses less than 100MB of disk space, so you could have a lot of text-only blogs in a 1GB account. Obviously, if you are going to have photos, video files, etc, the space becomes a concern.

Almost any shared host can support Wordpress. Look for one with a great reputation, with forums where you can see how fast they react to problems. I have a VPS with MDDHosting.com, not a shared account, but their service is top notch and I recommend them on that basis.

Look in the advertisements area, there's plenty of hosts that will offer what you need.
    [BleemNET] – Shared Hosting & Dedicated
    Unmetered servers available. No contracts. 99.9% Uptime.
    Super Fast *LiteSpeed* Servers, cPanel/Softaculous

I would suggest you go with vps server directly if you like to host unlimited domains.. and according to your website future plans you should go with this.

Quote Originally Posted by Lincxu View Post
    I would suggest you go with vps server directly if you like to host unlimited domains.. and according to your website future plans you should go with this.
    That's needlessly expensive. I'd choose a shared hosting provider who would assist you in the upgrade to a VPS when / if the time comes. Why shell out more than you need from the beginning? If you get a host with cPanel, the upgrade to a VPS is almost seemless whoever you host with, as you can just install a backup of your shared hosting account into your new VPS.
    James

Think shared hosting will be all right for the OP.
    I see no sense in buying a VPS. Shared hosting is able to satisfy the needs of the OP but he must find the right one for his needs.

With the budget of $8/month. If any hosts out there is willing to give you a FREE Domain without a term contract, then I'll tell you to take it and move the next month on... lol. The host will lose money and close down in the end if they do that.

Stay away from hosts which offer "Unlimited" stuff. There's no such thing and offering those is not only lieing to you (false advertisement) but it also shows that the host is not upfront to you.
    Aaron Ong
    Dedicated Servers - 100TB Servers - 100Mbps Unmetered Servers - Web Hosting - CDN Network
    Servers in Central, East/West Coast USA, EUROPE and ASIA
    Welltodo Century
    - www.welltodocentury.com

First I want to wish you good luck with your new site, I'm also new in this forum.
    I think that getting a free domain with the hosting offer is not a good idea.
    Search the advertising area here you will find great offers for shared hosting and VPS

Quote Originally Posted by aodat2 View Post
    With the budget of $8/month. If any hosts out there is willing to give you a FREE Domain without a term contract, then I'll tell you to take it and move the next month on... lol. The host will lose money and close down in the end if they do that.

And its customers like that, that give bad names....

There is nothing wrong with a host giving you a free domain name. Its a marketing thing. Nothing wrong with it. If the host is good and honest, they will tell you exactly what the terms are. Good ones, if you want to leave, they just ask you to pay the registration fee ($9.95 or $10.95) whatever it is, and you can move on. Bad ones will change your odmain contact info,and steal your domain. There has been post's in this forum about some that do that. With a little research, and just talk to the host before you order. Its as simple as that
    The nice thing about facebook, is you can post comments from someone, and no one will know if that person actually said it. - George Washington

Keep in mind that with add-on domains you are essentially adding a subdirectory and pointing a domain to it on your hosting account. This is fine, but it keeps all your resource usage on the same account. This is done intentionally, despite what people have been insinuating here even hosts that do not offer "unlimited" disk space and bandwidth have limitations on their hosting in regards to server resources. In web hosting you typically get what you pay for. WordPress can be be harsh on system resources, especially with the abundance of poorly coded plugins available for it. For the overwhelming majority of websites disk space and bandwidth is not an issue in regards to shared hosting. The first issue that pops up is CPU and RAM usage to provide services to the account. All web hosts regardless of whether or not they offer unlimited disk space/bandwidth will have limitations on CPU and RAM. Some will be more generous than others. Typically if your host charges more per month they will have a little more freedom on server resources. If a host is offering "unlimited" anything for a couple bucks a month I would run away. The amount you are paying does not leave much room for profit for the host so they will need many accounts on their servers to make it profitable. And with prices that low they will attract clients who will be abusive to server resources. $8 a month is good number as it takes you out of the budget range and places you into the mainstream level of hosts. Be sure to read their terms of service to see what their policies are in regards to system resources. The more precise they are the better as it will give you something to compare to as well as clearly define you limits so you will be less prone to surprises.

From my experience there are two types of "unlimited" hosts... those with the knowledge, staff and configurations to provide quality service under that business model and those that don't. The majority fall in the latter, but that is not to say there are not exceptional hosts that offer unlimited disk space and bandwidth - IE: Hostgator. You may even find a little irony in the fact that one of the hosts that was recommended to you here has an almost identical Terms of Service as Hostgator.

Also, anyone directing you to the offers section rather than recommending a specific host is likely doing so because they have an offer in there and it is against the rules to self promote your services on this forum. It is their end run around way of spamming their signature as well as hoping you go in there and see their offer and choose them. My advice would be to avoid the offers section on this forum when initially deciding on a host. It is fine to narrow your choices down to a few hosts then see if they have any promotional offers, but going in there to find a good web host is like going to McDonalds to find healthy meal... There may be a few good options here and there, but it's mostly crap.

Quote Originally Posted by VicToMeyeZR View Post
    With a little research, and just talk to the host before you order. Its as simple as that
    A host is not going to admit to the possibility of holding a domain hostage prior to the ordering process. By and large it is good advice to buy your own domain separate for multiple reasons. If you ever want to change your DNS you can do it quickly and do it yourself. It also removes any possible headache of your registrar missing a renewal (less common these days) as well as the possible headache of obtaining the domain if you want to leave a host. If you own the domain you will not have to wait for the transfer. At $10 a year (less than a dollar a month) it is worth having the peace of mind.

You're splitting dimes and nickels here. If you have big ideas for your website then you're going to want to start it off right. Buy your domain from a reputable source; it's the least you could do with the greatest benefit to yourself in the future. Pointing that domain to the webhost you choose is easy as pie. As for hosts, don't be afraid to hop into something and then change your host later. Again we're talking dollars of a difference between hosting solutions in the beginning and it's not difficult to move as long as you don't get locked into a long contract and wind up paying expensive early term fees.

I know you're hoping to get a reply with a list of hosting companies that are recommended but I doubt you'll find that from the seasoned forum members here. A little bit of searching will find something suitable, I guarantee it.

Last but not least I'm hoping this big website idea of yours is backed by a solid business plan. That said, remember to gather your information and consider your website costs as a major chunk of your expenses. After all, the website doesn't run unless the bills are paid and your business doesn't run if the website doesn't run.
    DBLHost.com
    US Based Shared Web Hosting • cPanel+Softaculous • Email Hosting • Domain Names
    https://www.dblhost.com

Quote Originally Posted by JaJae View Post
    A host is not going to admit to the possibility of holding a domain hostage prior to the ordering process.
    You forgot the research part..

btw good post on the signature thing. Very true.!
    The nice thing about facebook, is you can post comments from someone, and no one will know if that person actually said it. - George Washington

Many hosts offer free domains, many do require a year upfront payment but that covers the domain and a year's worth of web hosting. Your best bet is to register your domain through godaddy for less than $7.50 for .coms and finda cheap web host on here, many give you unlimited everything and a respectable amount of disc space and bandwidth.

I don't think it is a problem with offering a free domain (as a host) as long as someone pre-pays for a year.

Is the OP looking to prepay for a year?

If not then look at namecheap.com for your domain registration needs.