Need advice finding a fast, reliable UK webhost

Hi everyone,

My service with my current UK web host (Webmania) which I've been using for years for both hosting and domain reg, has completely deteriorated over the past couple of months with constant downtime and extremely slow service and I've reached the end of my tether with it.

I have been scouring these forums for hours now looking for a good replacement web host in the UK that would suit my growing needs and have found myself a little overwhelmed with the amount of options available, so I'm hoping that I could get some advice as to which hosts would best suit my needs.

My website is pretty basic, hosting my portfolio and a development blog, which uses WordPress for my ongoing game projects (I would link but this is by first post).

My site occasionally gets a lot of traffic and I find I go over my 15GB bandwidth limit so I would definitely need to increase that.

The 1GB of space I currently have is also not adequate, and I'd like to be able to host demo builds and such on it the server, Ideally I'd like around 5GB or more at least

My budget isn't huge, right now I'd really like to keep below £45 per year if possible.

And of course one of the most important things for me is finding a UK host that is stable fast and reliable!

Any advice you can give me is much appreciated! Thanks

Patrick at www.040hosting.eu might be quite a wise option, he is brilliant and knows his stuff and have been a happy camper of his in the past.

Touch him up he might give you a great deal
    l Dedigeeks Shared Wordpress Dedicated Established 2006
    l Leading AUSTRALIAN Hosting Provider Sydney & Melbourne Datacentres
    l cPanel/WHM R1Soft Backups 24/7/365 Support SMS Hosting Alerts*
    l www.dedigeeks.com Managing Director Service Superstars

Quote Originally Posted by Sparrow-Sean View Post
    Patrick at www.040hosting.eu might be quite a wise option, he is brilliant and knows his stuff and have been a happy camper of his in the past.

Touch him up he might give you a great deal
    Touch him up does have different connotations to Brits Sean!

And Patrick's in Germany not UK.

Have you looked at uk2.net or ukhost4u.com?

I have used both in the past and have no problems with either.

If you are willing to stretch your budget a bit i think UK2.net has an offer of a VPS server for £4.95/mo.

Touch him up does have different connotations to Brits Sean!
    Alright, that sort of came out a little on the wrong side, but made you chuckle at least

And Patrick's in Germany not UK.
    I thought he was based around the Netherlands actually, I am hit and miss on the geography so excuse me if I am mistaken, even though he might be out of the UK itself, it is still a close choice in a way.

But I stand by my option as I do not know any decent and reputable services in the UK that could match Patricks Service.

However, VPS.NET is good but based on VPS's of course / UK2 Group based so could possibly find something under their network but then again I am not sure I'd flick that way but it's just me.

Thanks for the recommendation Sparrow, although their prices look a little steep to be honest. I'm sure the service is excellent, but the only package they have within my budget doesn't even begin to fulfil my basic needs regarding bandwidth and web space unfortunately.

Quote Originally Posted by Sparrow-Sean View Post
    Alright, that sort of came out a little on the wrong side, but made you chuckle at least

I thought he was based around the Netherlands actually, I am hit and miss on the geography so excuse me if I am mistaken, even though he might be out of the UK itself, it is still a close choice in a way.

But I stand by my option as I do not know any decent and reputable services in the UK that could match Patricks Service.
    Agreed about Patrick.....he's brilliant!

NL base and DE servers the last time I spoke to him! He should definitely consider UK for the future.

I suppose in a way you get what you pay for, the only reason why it's my recommendation even if it's outside the UK itself is Patrick understands his service, knows his stuff, and actually has time for his customers. It's a shame it is out of your realm but for me it's a good recommendation

Quote Originally Posted by redstatcounter View Post
    Have you looked at uk2.net or ukhost4u.com?

I have used both in the past and have no problems with either.

If you are willing to stretch your budget a bit i think UK2.net has an offer of a VPS server for £4.95/mo.
    Just checked these out and ukhost4u look like they offer a very good deal. How fast and reliable were they in the past? Did you have much downtime? Has anyone else here had experience with them?

Thanks!

www 1and1 co uk will be a good one to try. Good deals.

depends on what kind of package ur lookin for

Deepak_uk, thanks for the recommendation, but that site isn't very helpful for an amateur like me, I really don't even know where to start there; virtual?? cloud??? I've no idea what these are or how they'd suit me... See my original post for what my needs are.

I never had any problems with ukhost4u.com, tech support was very good and quick to respond and I had no noticeable downtime.

With Uk2.net i have a reseller account that started to go offline every evening for about 20 minutes. When i contacted them about it they offered a move to another server. The move was very quick and since then i have had no problems. Technical support is also good and very helpful.

Two good options would be Clook and United Hosting.....I've used them both in the past...a long way back.

Matt from UH and Jim from Clook used to be very active here back then (2003/4)....and their businesses have gone from strength to strength.

Not cheap....but very high quality providers.

Quote Originally Posted by XTremo View Post
    Agreed about Patrick.....he's brilliant!

NL base and DE servers the last time I spoke to him! He should definitely consider UK for the future.
    Noted actually we have European servers in The Netherlands & Strasbourg (technically this is France, although on the border of Germany) and we operate indeed from The Netherlands.

Quote Originally Posted by XTremo View Post
    Two good options would be Clook and United Hosting.....I've used them both in the past...a long way back.

Matt from UH and Jim from Clook used to be very active here back then (2003/4)....and their businesses have gone from strength to strength.

Not cheap....but very high quality providers.

Thanks for the mention! It's funny you mention 03/04 as we were just having a talk about becoming more active here once again

You may also want to consider eUKhost.
    HostXNow - Shared Web Hosting | Semi Dedicated Hosting | Enterprise Reseller Hosting | VPS Hosting

You could consider VPS.NET, they do have servers based out in the UK which are pretty sturdy - though you're best asking them directly

Just a quick mension to Hydro-host.net they have been very reliable for my hosting sites. even with the high requirements i use
    Last edited by MadDogHost; 06-06-2011 at 08:14 AM. Reason: wrong link

Maybe ezpzhosting?
    Regards
    Jacob