need help asap! Dedicated? cloud? host?

My name is albert, I know I am just a noob, but I am currently opening a social networking site but need help. (no worries, its nothing like Facebook) We can upload pictures, videos, blogs. You can create your own shop, crew, organization etc. The problem is I need to know exactly what I need as to what type of servers. A cloud server? Dedicated? How much hard drive space, bandwidth, ram, cpu, etc. were looking at a good amount of traffic our first month. Any recommendations as to who has better servers to rent? the website is pretty much done but we need to get servers asap to test it. Will really appreciate for the help.

Ps. any other recommendations or things i would need to know? Thanks

Do you have a specific budget in mind? You could always start with shared hosting and upgrade as required.
    CrocWeb Cloud - High Availability Cloud Website Hosting
    > NVMe Storage, LSCache, Redis, Global CDN, Unlimited SSL
    > Triple Data Replication, Automated Server Failover
    > Bad Bots, Malware, DDoS Protection

Can you guarantee the large amount of bandwidth within your first month, in reality this is not what you should be overseeing as the main aspect of the website, you need to take into account the CPU and "other" limits the site may produce within this time.

Even though bandwidth is always going to be a factor, it's a factor that stands behind CPU Power & RAM, if you are expecting sudden growth then shared hosting may not be your perfect fit.

You might be best seeking a VPS or a service that is going to allow you to scale upwards, sooner or later though you are looking at getting your own systems if it takes off, that question will then come down to - are you able to cover the costs of the systems, if so, how?

How do you expect to pay your systems with the growth you will see?
    l Dedigeeks Shared Wordpress Dedicated Established 2006
    l Leading AUSTRALIAN Hosting Provider Sydney & Melbourne Datacentres
    l cPanel/WHM R1Soft Backups 24/7/365 Support SMS Hosting Alerts*
    l www.dedigeeks.com Managing Director Service Superstars

Seems you're going to launch a heavy traffic website. Depends your budget, you can take a look at the dedicaed server section.

I want to suggest you for VPS hosting to start. If you get more traffic then can move for dedicated server. As dedicated server to be most costly and therefore it is recommended only when one have huge traffic per day.

You can take a look at Eapps.com cloud offerings if you need more than shared hosting. You can get pretty cheap plan for a start and afterward adjust resources in any moment according to your needs.

A dedicated server is what you need yet you really need a budget for it.

My agency is doing a couple of sites like this for a few clients. If you have video, I'm assuming you're going to have live encoding. In anycase, I'd suggest a cloud platform to begin with, eventually moving to dedicated. Start with a 2gb ram cloud and move up. We host our social networking sites on clouds 2gb ram upwards all the way the 8gb. Works really well.

have a trial of dedicated server.If not satisfied,swiching cloud server is not too late

A cloud server would really be the best choice seeing that you can upgrade as well. A VPS would be the next thing but why start on a vps so you can upgrade just to upgrade to a cloud or dedicated? You can find several dedicated cloud providers out there that offer the ability to scale up as needed and some that do it without you needing to make the changes.
    DFGHOSTING.COM 1-866-376-4637
    Cpanel/WHM | SVN/Trac | Softaculous | Fantastico | Word Press and phpBB Design and Development
    Professional Web Hosting | VPS Servers | Reseller Hosting | Dedicated Servers | 30 Day Money Back Guarantee
    Live Video Support | Live Chat Support | End User Web Site Support | No Over selling!

If this is a social networking site, I suggest you go with a cloud setup..you will be able to easily add more resources as your site grows..
    Respectfully,
    Mr. Terrence

It takes time to pick up traffic, Cloud hosting will be a good option as you can add resources instantly as you go up in traffic. Even beginning with a good single dedicated server is not a bad option, once the traffic picks up well you can add more servers along.

Thank you so much everyone for helping me out, you have no idea.

I dont no what my pricing would be around because I dont have a clue as to how much a server should cost. I have decided I should go with cloud servers. The next step is choosing which company to go with, and the cpu, ram, and space. The coding we use is Apache, mysequal, and php (if that helps). I think the company would go with linux as the servers os. I did some research and i came across the company called liquidweb.com. From the other forum, it has pretty good reviews. I am hesitating because there is so much scam artist promoting their own company. any suggestions?

PS again thanks so much for helping me. really appreciate it.

Quote Originally Posted by alai20 View Post
    Thank you so much everyone for helping me out, you have no idea.

I dont no what my pricing would be around because I dont have a clue as to how much a server should cost. I have decided I should go with cloud servers. The next step is choosing which company to go with, and the cpu, ram, and space. The coding we use is Apache, mysequal, and php (if that helps). I think the company would go with linux as the servers os. I did some research and i came across the company called liquidweb.com. From the other forum, it has pretty good reviews. I am hesitating because there is so much scam artist promoting their own company. any suggestions?

PS again thanks so much for helping me. really appreciate it.
    LiquidWeb is a good, reputable company; not a scam. Linux, Apache, MySQL, and PHP is the normal setup for a hosting environment. If you are hosting a social network, than you and your developers should think about using something like Nginx instead of Apache. It will make your social network snappier and more app-like. And for my hosting recommendations:
    My personal blog -- rubiverse.net

You can either try a shared hosting or VPS,then if required you can always upgrade to a dedicated server.
    Tiger Host | Shared Hosting - Reseller Hosting - Domain Registration
    ---> 24/7/365 Live Chat & Help Desk Support.
    ---> cPanel 11,Softaculous,Fantastico & more.
    ---> http://www.tiger-host.net

I'd recommend Gigenetcloud.com, they are AWESOME!