Why Do Customers decide to leave the webhosting provider

Please list the reasons why does a customer/user decides to change the host or to switch the host????

Usually either due to a lack of quality service, poor support, or cheaper prices elsewhere.
    Cpanel/WHM • PHP • Perl • Ruby • Full Time Support
    LCWSoft - Canada web hosting (based in Newfoundland) since 2007
    Servers based in the US and Canada (Uptime Report)

^^ What he said.

But it can be various things, Slow Servers, Downtime, Seeing advertisements for other companys etc.. that can be a big sucker for other competitors but it's life and the way people are.

My reasons for switching hosts are that it was too slow, and had horrible reviews, plus it was too big for them to care about my business.

If you're doing things right, they won't leave you.

Any client that has left us was due to either they stopped/canceled their project. (Realized that installation of Elgg isn't going to be the next Facebook)

Or in one case we had a client cancel because our server didn't have an included extension installed that his site required, though when looking at his support records I saw that he had only opened one ticket with us months prior and had never notified us of his particular need.

I think what would make most customers leave would be the obvious things. Downtime, slow or poor support, etc. These things will make clients looking elsewhere.
    [ IncogNET LLC ] Privacy By Design [Liberty Lake, WA][Kansas City, MO][Allentown, PA][Naaldwijk, NL]
    [ Web Hosting | KVM VPS | Dedicated Servers | Domain Names | VPN | Censorship Resistance ]
    Services provided in the United States and Netherlands with privacy and freedom of speech being our top priority.

Slow Speed, poor server performance and a bad or not friendly support

Manage your business right and for the most part they won't leave you unless you are a company that competes on price and you attract price conscious customers then other cheap companies can steal them away from you.

I think people leave for a vast amount of reasons which can be attributed to things that are beyond your control.

Within your control:
    • Customer Service
    • Pricing
    • Availability of Sales/Tech Reps
    • Brand Image / Reputation
    • Server uptime
    • Policies

Things out of your control
    • Closing their website
    • Outgrow your services (if you're a shared/reseller provided and they need VPS/Dedicated
    • Sale of business
    • Different locations required (if you're West Coast but they require East Coast, etc...)
    Doug
    Finance, Operations, and Business Executive

There's usually some churn when changing ownership - either on the client side or the provider's. This can also happen when a company scales back it's growth projections, and opts out of certain markets.
    ProlimeHost - Dedicated Server Hosting & KVM SSD VPS
    Three Datacenter Locations: Los Angeles, Denver & Singapore
    SuperMicro Hardware | Multiple Bandwidth Providers | 24/7 On-site Engineers

You need to remember that you can't please everyone, some people spend their time changing host and complaining as much as they can. These people are not worth the effort and its a relief when they do leave.

YOU´LL NEED TO TREAT THEM AS IF THEY´RE STILL YOUR PROSPECTS.

Because they may be your customers but they are every competition´s prospects.

You may be doing everything right but your customer may leave for any logical(for them) but stupidest(for you) reasons.

In my opinion, in our industry, a customer needs like 80% more perceivable benefits as enough reason to change providers.

They can receive an email from a competitor and they may just like the logo better or their site, they´ll think that host is better than you or just they like their website color... is like that.

Your customer may receive an email about a new "option" technology that will let them do X stuff and go with them, EVEN if you also have that..., BUT your customer did´t know, because you didn´t let them know.

etc.
    Bottom line, doesn't matter you have quality service or you are doing it right, some customers can leave for the ridiculous reasons, so you´ll have to do it better to minimize that effect.

Any reason to leave you that´s out of your hands(customer not needing the service, etc) is a valid and natural reason.
    Any reason to leave you that you could inflict some change, is an invalid reason.

It's surprising how many people end up buying services that they don't even use. It happens all the time and there isn't anything we can do.
    ~ @PreetamJinka

I left our old host because I was not able to do the things I needed.
    Could not run a few stats programs that had to communicate with our dedicated servers, after setting it up on our own servers and doing half of it on our own we changed everything over to doing it ourselves.

simply

Simply:

- Low up-time.
    - Bad, inexperienced, delayed customer support service.

15. Bad customer support can infuriate clients and cause them to leave. Bad quality hosting, high prices, hidden charges, lack of options and regular down-time can also cause customers to leave.

However, many customers may just wish to close down their website at no fault of the web host.

Regards.

even with good support and uptime people are usually attracted with unlimited resources at cheap prices which we all know isnt the deal there
    Ebrahim Mafooz
    webDios Technologies - Serving Since 2005
    www.webdios.com
    Web Hosting Tutorials * SHARED HOSTING * MANAGED DEDICATED SERVERS * RESELLER HOSTING*

yes

Quote Originally Posted by digiinet View Post
    even with good support and uptime people are usually attracted with unlimited resources at cheap prices which we all know isnt the deal there
    I agree, but we both know that Unlimited Means You Get Nothing.

I mean Unlimited doesn't mean at all "larger than 100 GBs or more".

No, Unlimited means we depend on low usage users to give their "Unlimited" Space to high usage users. And both are subject to suspension if they exceed predefined limits of recourse usage which of course can't help unlimited users.

If you use Unlimited Space, for example 1 TeraBytes of space which can't happen usually with unlimited plans, you will definitely be suspended, not because you used the 1TBs, but because if you use them for non-used files like backups that's not allowed, and also if you used them for normal site files of course you will consume all your allowed resource usage limit to view 1 TBs of files.

I hope this helps.
    ARMINDS ... empowering people’s minds!
    Affordable Fully Managed SSD Cached Xen VPS @ arminds.com

Quote Originally Posted by digiinet View Post
    Not all.

Those who go for unlimited data means they are not serious with what they are doing. I say most but not all.

Specially 4 U
    Reseller Hosting: Boost Your Websites | Fully Managed KVM VPS: 3.20 - 5.00 Ghz, Pure Dedicated Power
    JoneSolutions.Com is on the net 24/7 providing stable and reliable web hosting solutions, server management and services since 2001
    Debian|Ubuntu|cPanel|DirectAdmin|Enhance|Webuzo|Acronis|Estela|BitNinja|Nginx

It's usually either price/support/features or a combination of the above.

Regards,

Nick.

There are a number of reasons. The most obvious is that the site is often down or slow. But if they're unhappy with the customer support they may also leave. And, of course, if they find another host who are cheaper but seem to offer the same (or a better) service.

I have to agree with most of you here. The amount of resources, quality of support, and the price typically will define whether or not someone will choose to host with you or continue their services with your company. It's about being competitive and providing the absolute best to your clients.