Thread: r1soft failed

r1soft failed

While I was reading a thread, I noticed someone suggest using r1soft to do backups.

Last week, I found out that my r1soft failed to backup 2 directories on my server (the 2 most important ones I could possibly have) without any error. This caused me 3 weeks data loss and out thousands of $.

Before I'm accused of improperly configuring it, the service was provided by a 100% managed provider, that is competant (and there is no doubt of this). I can provide the name if it's allowed for proof it wasn't one of us.

Now, since then I've moved hosts, but still signed up for the new guys r1soft package. My question is, should I be making my own personal manual backups stored locally, or is this a freak accident?

Obviously manual backups can NEVER go wrong, but my ISP won't appreciate me doing this haha, so opinions would be great!

Just check them often and make sure they're being backed up correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by Zach Nelson View Post
    Just check them often and make sure they're being backed up correctly.
    I didn't have access to the panel as it was 105% managed, though with new host I do.

If a data loss like that causes you "thousands" of dollars of loss then you should probably have two off-site backups.

Quote Originally Posted by gordonrp View Post
    If a data loss like that causes you "thousands" of dollars of loss then you should probably have two off-site backups.
    Wouldn't of mattered. r1soft itself failed

Quote Originally Posted by RPGamer1 View Post
    Wouldn't of mattered. r1soft itself failed
    I think he means 2 backups with 2 different methods. So if you have 1 r1soft CDP backup, then have another backup using rsync or similar.

Quote Originally Posted by The Universes View Post
    I think he means 2 backups with 2 different methods. So if you have 1 r1soft CDP backup, then have another backup using rsync or similar.
    Ah, side note it's a windows server so no rsync

Quote Originally Posted by The Universes View Post
    Right, two backups, two separate methods. For our bigger clients we have a push, and a pull backup from two different locations using different methods and manually check them on a regular basis. It's time consuming, but there's value in it.

You can keep using your R1SOFT but then maybe also use rsync to push to BQBACKUP or similar provider, or have a remote server pull using rsync (depending on your security concerns).

Its always BEST to have your own backups.
    Steven Ciaburri | Industry's Best Server Management - Rack911.com
    Software Auditing - 400+ Vulnerabilities Found - Quote @ https://www.RACK911Labs.com
    Fully Managed Dedicated Servers (Las Vegas, New York City, & Amsterdam) (AS62710)
    FreeBSD & Linux Server Management, Security Auditing, Server Optimization, PCI Compliance

If you get creative and use cygwin, you can use rsync
    Software Auditing - 400+ Vulnerabilities Found - Quote @ https://www.RACK911Labs.com
    Fully Managed Dedicated Servers (Las Vegas, New York City, & Amsterdam) (AS62710)
    FreeBSD & Linux Server Management, Security Auditing, Server Optimization, PCI Compliance

Right, two backups, two separate methods. For our bigger clients we have a push, and a pull backup from two different locations using different methods and manually check them on a regular basis. It's time consuming, but there's value in it.

You can keep using your R1SOFT but then maybe also use rsync to push to BQBACKUP or similar provider, or have a remote server pull using rsync (depending on your security concerns).

The problem is, this host was so highly rated by everybody in this community, I thought it would be fine. They are the highest rated managed host I've heard of.

That's a shame, but disasters happen to everyone regardless of reputation. Sounds like the loss hasn't destroyed your business, others aren't always so lucky. Go with dual backups, always keep your own. Good luck at your new host.

You should have opened a ticket with R1Soft. I am sure if their backup is failing to do specific directories without error they would be interested in helping you to find out why. It could be a bug. Most likely its a misconfiguration though.

That's a shame, but disasters happen to everyone regardless of reputation. Sounds like the loss hasn't destroyed your business, others aren't always so lucky. Go with dual backups, always keep your own. Good luck at your new host.
    Yeah we're still ok, just sucks I wasted the money for it to not work I'm going to google some of the suggestions posted in this thread and look for secondary options

Quote Originally Posted by Coolraul View Post
    You should have opened a ticket with R1Soft. I am sure if their backup is failing to do specific directories without error they would be interested in helping you to find out why. It could be a bug. Most likely its a misconfiguration though.
    I have 0 contact with r1soft, it was 100% managed, and I can't afford any service interruptions from their investigations until all of my services are migrated

The problem is, this host was so highly rated by everybody in this community, I thought it would be fine. They are the highest rated managed host I've heard of.
    I personally do not recommend relying on R1soft completely. We generally try to retain two types of backups for our customers, simply because backups DO fail, it doesn't matter who the host is.

Side note -

Do you know which version of r1soft they were using 2 or 3?
    Last edited by Steven; 05-31-2011 at 01:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven View Post
    If you get creative and use cygwin, you can use rsync
    A windows rsync client/server:

http://www.itefix.no/i2/node/10650

Hope be useful.

roberto
    <<Please see rules for signature setup>>

Quote Originally Posted by contenidosonline View Post
    A windows rsync client/server:

http://www.itefix.no/i2/node/10650

Hope be useful.

roberto
    Nice! Its basically cygwin and rsync, but I normally set it up by hand.

There are ports for rsync on windows if you would like link I can get it for you. (edit looks like some one has allready given link)

If it was managed why was they not testing the backup's to see if they restore ok this should be done monthly to check all data is restored in the correct way without corruption.

Version 2 cannot include/exclude directories. It's actually somewhat filesystem agnostic (works at the bit-copy-change level) so I'm guessing the OP is using version 3, especially since windows is involved... personally I wouldn't touch version 3 quite yet.
    Fast Serv Networks, LLC | AS29889 | DDOS Protected | Managed Cloud, Streaming, Dedicated Servers, Colo by-the-U
    Since 2003 - Ashburn VA + San Diego CA Datacenters

I'd be interested to know exactly what the issue was as we deal with R1Soft on a daily basis and support many providers here with it.
    Corey Arbogast | CEO
    █ 888-X10-9668, x703 - corey[@]x10hosting.com

Moved > Specialty Hosting and Markets.

Someone said R1Soft is the best continuous backup software and i can't get any open source configuration to match its features. Is this true?

Is there a way i can get a combination of easy to setup opensource softwares to at least compare to it in features and performance?
    Recommendations will be very much appreciated.
    Superb Houston/Los Angeles Colocation: LAYERHOST.COM https://www.layerhost.com/colocation
    *not affiliated, just recommendation*

Who is the host used for backups?