Move account to different server within the same webhost? Is this request possible?

I would like to ask if this is a request which webhosting companies will entertain?

I have an account with a webhost, and it is frequently having downtimes.

Additionally, from the webhost's servers uptime page which they display to the public, the server I am on have the lowest percentage of uptime amongst all their server, 98.544% to be exact.

With Pingdom, whch I have setup to monitor my site just recently, the uptime from end April to date is 96.41%.

The webhost that I am currently hosting my site with, have very good reputation on WHT, and their support have been quite good with their replies so far. I would rather avoid the hassle of changing webhosts, and moving my site to another webhost if possible.

There is only 1 site currently active on my account with this webhost, which is an ecommerce site running cs-cart ecommerce software script, with dedicated IP/SSL certificates installed by the webhost.

I wonder if a request to move my account to another server within the same webhost with better uptime is reasonable? And will it incur more costs? How do webhosting companies deal with such requests normally? Or it is not normal to have such requests?

I know that it does not solve the "root" of the problem of "downtime" for the webhost. But I was hoping it will solve the downtime issues of my site.

Yes....asking to be moved to another server is quite normal practice.

I am sure they will be happy to do it for free for you. It is quite normal. Go ahead and ask support.
    Serverfruit - awesome cPanel hosting!
    Bacon forever!

thats a solution most people opt for...

but moving to a better host that doesnt oversell is better in the long term
    hostcats.com - Linux|Windows
    Shared|Reseller|Tomcat|vps|dedicated servers|Cloud
    Datacenters:USA|India Cloud: OnApp
    100 days Full Refund| No Questions are asked!

Quote Originally Posted by Manjusha4serveradmin View Post
    thats a solution most people opt for...

but moving to a better host that doesnt oversell is better in the long term
    I fully agree with this.
    Bacon forever!

Unless you have a dedicated IP address with your host, doing so will mean a change of IP address. (You'll change from being hosted at the shared IP of the old server to being at the shared IP of the new server).

That will mean a couple of days of traffic going astray while that change propogates. That is rarely a problem, as new visitors to your site will always have to find out your IP address for the first time, so will go straight to your site on the new server. However long-standing visitors, and you, may find you get "site unavailable" kind of errors for a couple of days. Expect a bit of pingdom downtime, for example.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong: One way to mitigate this is to ask the current host to reduce the TTL on all your DNS Zone Entries 48 hours before the move. They could set it, say, to 300, that is 5 minutes. The "48 hours before" bit ensures that, before you switch servers, every visitor to your site knows that your TTL is 5 minutes. Then, when you switch, everyone will have the new IP address within 5 minutes. After that, the host can increase the TTL back to their usual values (usually something like 86,400 = 24 hours).

Quote Originally Posted by JamesOakley View Post
    Unless you have a dedicated IP address with your host, doing so will mean a change of IP address.
    They've already said they've got a dedicated IP.

Quote Originally Posted by XTremo View Post
    They've already said they've got a dedicated IP.
    Doh. :Blush

Would all of that apply, though, for someone on the shared IP?

Depending on how they are set up they can change the IP quite easily over to another server without any downtime (1 min at most) for dedicated IP addresses.
    Bacon forever!

If you are saying that your current webhost has a good reputation here, then the uptime you stated there is not really acceptable. 95% uptime is kinda low actually. I would contact them and ask them about that 1st.

After that if they do not give you a satisfactory explanation, then you should start asking them to move you to a better server. They should be more than willing to do it for FREE for you. Ask your host, they should be able to answer those questions for you.

There's nothing to fear. They won't do anything or etc. In fact, if you're unhappy you should tell them so that they could at least do their best to make you happy.
    Aaron Ong
    Dedicated Servers - 100TB Servers - 100Mbps Unmetered Servers - Web Hosting - CDN Network
    Servers in Central, East/West Coast USA, EUROPE and ASIA
    Welltodo Century
    - www.welltodocentury.com

yes it is definitely possible.. i have done this many times.

I am sure they would go for this rather then lose you as a customer.