Thread: Firewalls

Firewalls

When choosing a firewall solution, do you prefer a hardware based solution or a software based solution?

For either one, what are features that you consider to be absolutely necessary and what are the features that are nice to have?

I have only worked with software based firewalls, but I believe hardware firewalls off-load the server.

IP blocking (automatically), port allow/disallow are necessary.
    Serverfruit - awesome cPanel hosting!
    Bacon forever!

I always consider port control a given, however there is more than one way to "close" a port. You can have it in one of three states. Allow, Deny, Drop. Drop can fool people who do not know better into thinking that whatever they were looking for does not exist.

When it comes to IP Blocking, explain this more in depth please.

With IP blocking I mean that when a person request a page from the server from an IP that is blocked, it will not answer that client at all like if the server is down.
    Serverfruit - awesome cPanel hosting!
    Bacon forever!

Hello,

For normal servers CSF is more than enough. It will give better security to the server. Hardware firewalls is costly and they are designed for specific issues.
    " Your work is to discover your work and then with all your heart to give yourself to it. "

That's the mark of a true professional !

Would something such as Portscan Detection automate blocking, and if there is an automated process there would be a way to add/remove manually.

is you are a regular target of DDOS go for the hardware firewall.
    hostcats.com - Linux|Windows
    Shared|Reseller|Tomcat|vps|dedicated servers|Cloud
    Datacenters:USA|India Cloud: OnApp
    100 days Full Refund| No Questions are asked!

Quote Originally Posted by cptechie View Post
    Hello,

For normal servers CSF is more than enough. It will give better security to the server. Hardware firewalls is costly and they are designed for specific issues.
    Just because it is a hardware solution does not always mean that it will be pricey. The only real benefit I see to a hardware solution is that the support all goes to one company.

You can always take a fresh machine, and turn the software solution into your own hardware solution at a fraction of the cost.

Hello,

I just mentioned that because high budget companies only goes for Hardware firewall. Yes, ofcourse the support will be undertaken by the company. I was just giving you an advise. Rest, as you wish. Good Luck.
    " Your work is to discover your work and then with all your heart to give yourself to it. "

That's the mark of a true professional !

Right now, I am mainly interested on the implementations and features that WHTers look for in a firewall for their hosting company/infrastructure.