Exclamation Evidence that WebHost-Review sites are fake! so Where can I get TRUE Reviews?

So I've spent the past few days looking through the endless piles of web-hosting review websites and top-10-hosting type of sites you find all over google when searching for terms like "top host" and "web host reviews"... What ive found is probably the same thing the rest of you have found - A JOKE!

The following is a list i gathered of all the "rankings" from all the host-review sites on the first 5+ pages of googles search results, for 6 of the hosting companies that are commonly seen on these lists.. Again, the numbers listed next to the companies name represents the "rank" they were listed as on seperate top-10 type sites - so each number is a different review site.. Also note that one host may have more numbers listed than others, which is beacuse i chose the 6 companies ahead of time (before i started making the list), and some of them just happened to show up on more of the top-10 sites than others..

--------------------------------------

INMOTION:
    (2, 6, 1, 3, 6, 4, 3, 9, 6, 7, 2, 9, 5, 3, 4, 4, 2, 3, 1, 8, 6, 3, 10, 10, 4, 2, 4, 2, 3, 4)

WEBHOSTINGHUB:
    (1, 2, 4, 7, 5, 5, 5, 6, 2, 5, 1, 2)

HOSTMONSTER:
    (5, 5, 10, 1, 5, 1, 2, 7, 8, 1, 2, 1, 1, 2, 5, 2, 3, 10, 7, 9, 3, 4, 4, 8, 1, 2, 10, 3, 3, 2, 3, 3, 7)

HOSTGATOR:
    (7, 5, 7, 10, 3, 4, 7, 1, 6, 8, 10, 4, 6, 4, 4, 1, 2, 1, 11, 2, 2, 1, 2, 3, 4, 3, 5, 5, 2, 7, 2, 10, 2, 3)

BLUEHOST:
    (6, 4, 9, 2, 4, 9, 2, 1, 6, 4, 8, 2, 8, 2, 2, 8, 9, 3, 1, 2, 8, 8, 7, 5, 10, 4, 3, 7, 3, 7, 6, 4, 1, 1, 3, 1, 7, 6, 9)

IPAGE:
    (1, 3, 6, 1, 1, 5, 1, 1, 3, 4, 9, 1, 3, 5, 7, 2, 9, 1, 1, 2, 6, 4, 2, 1, 2, 1, 1, 6, 7, 5, 1, 8, 7)

--------------------------------------

As you can see, there is practically NO CORRELATION whatsoever in these numbers... Again, each number represents a different top-10 site, and its pretty clear by looking at the above numbers that none of the top-10 sites are reliable or accurate in any way... It doesnt take a genius to figure out that the majority of these top10 list websites are nothing more than advertisers for the hosting companies, who compile their top-10 list based on paid advertising and/or affiliate companies. Take a look at the source code for these sites, and youll instantly see what im talking about.. In fact, if you look closely enough, you can even find a link in the menu to advertise on alot of these sites!! What a joke...

So i ask you, how am i supposed to find truly legitimate reviews on web hosting companies?

What do you guys think???

Webhostingtalk is exactly where you want to be to get the more precise reviews, even though I am very skeptic on a few reviews still on this forum, you are bound to find Webhostingtalk the place to be when searching for accurate and genuine reviews.
    l Dedigeeks (Twitter) Shared Reseller Cloud VPS Since 2010
    l Leading AU Hosting Provider Multiple locations - around the globe!
    l cPanel/WHM R1Soft Backups 24/7/365 Support 99.9% Uptime Guarantee
    l www.yourcompanynamehere.com Customer Service Rep. Superior Service Guarantee

It's no secret that the review sites are bought and paid for....and as said, this is the best place to get genuine reviews!

You can find real quality hosts here at WHT because most of the best webhosters are always present and in case of any problem you can find them to support you.
    Modelwebhost.com
    [US/UK] Shared Hosting, Reseller Hosting, Master Reseller Hosting
    WHMReseller | Softaculous | WHMCS | Dedicated IP | SSL
    We accept Paypal, 2checkout, Credit Cards, Payza, OKPAY and Bank payments

You can find real quality hosts here at WHT because most of the best webhosters are always present and in case of any problem you can find them to support you.
    Truthfully speaking that is in a way correct, sure a lot of providers use Webhostingtalk but then a lot do not as well. Webhostingtalk should really not be an avenue to a "Support Hub" even though a lot like to use it that way.

Your provider should always be your main position for support and assistance, you may use Webhostingtalk as a last resort however
    l Dedigeeks (Twitter) Shared Reseller Cloud VPS Since 2010
    l Leading AU Hosting Provider Multiple locations - around the globe!
    l cPanel/WHM R1Soft Backups 24/7/365 Support 99.9% Uptime Guarantee
    l www.yourcompanynamehere.com Customer Service Rep. Superior Service Guarantee

Search for honest, real customer testimonials on forums like WHT and HostingDiscussion

You can always find a genuine web hosting reviews here on WHT
    Tiger Host | Shared Hosting - Reseller Hosting - Domain Registration
    ---> 24/7/365 Live Chat & Help Desk Support.
    ---> cPanel 11,Softaculous,Fantastico & more.
    ---> http://www.tiger-host.net

As for me - honest reviews only at WHT. All these "top hosts" are just bought ads.

As much as I second the views expressed in previous posts I'd also take a portion of the reviews at WHT with the usual grain of salt. There have been various enthusiastic reviews here in the past that turned pretty sour over a relatively short period of time.

Compare the reviews you can find with each other. Is it realistic? Are there a lot of difference in the numbers?

I have turned a number of hosts down because they have bad reviews somewhere and good reviews in other places. I might have missed some good experiences, but I prefer to play it the safe way. Maybe try out some hosts with a subdomains or something.
    Serverfruit - awesome cPanel hosting!
    Bacon forever!

I believe the reviews here and the actual reviews by individuals on hostjury for the most part.
    Hosting is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're gonna get.

Directories with a lot of different hosts is usually just bought advertising space.

Best thing to do, is to see if you can find a couple of reviews on forums like WHT. Off course you can always hire somebody to write a positive review for you here too. And the guy writing the bad review might be the client who is impossible to make happy. And the company with no reviews might just have satisfied costumers who don't join forums..
    As long as you look at the reviews but remember that, not everything you read (specially on the internet) is true. You should be safe.
    One2Host.eu - Hosting solutions
    Email hosting - Shared hosting - Reseller - VPS - Dedicated servers
    Linux Servers - Plesk - MySQL/php - 24/7 servermonitoring - More than 150 one-click installation applications - Money back guarantee
    Twitter: @one2host

Quote Originally Posted by tleonhard View Post
    Off course you can always hire somebody to write a positive review for you here too. And the guy writing the bad review might be the client who is impossible to make happy. And the company with no reviews might just have satisfied costumers who don't join forums..
    As long as you look at the reviews but remember that, not everything you read (specially on the internet) is true. You should be safe.
    This sums it up, this thread can be now closed
    [BleemNET] Shared Hosting & Dedicated
    Unmetered servers available. No contracts. 99.9% Uptime.
    Super Fast *LiteSpeed* Servers, cPanel/Softaculous

Quote Originally Posted by Sparrow-Sean View Post
    Webhostingtalk is exactly where you want to be to get the more precise reviews, even though I am very skeptic on a few reviews still on this forum, you are bound to find Webhostingtalk the place to be when searching for accurate and genuine reviews.
    Do you mean like the ones that are posted for the SOLE purpose of a few to comment and get their signature listed? Like that
    The nice thing about facebook, is you can post comments from someone, and no one will know if that person actually said it. - George Washington

There are very few Web Hosting Review sites that are actually honest reviews by clients but they are few and far between. What you will find that even the ones that do claim to run honest review sites are nothing more than affiliate sites and if you check usually the top stops goes to the hosting companies that offer the highest affiliate payments.
    WebzPro.com Hosting Solutions Since 2004
    Shared/Reseller Hosting - Dedicated Servers - Semi-Dedicated
    Server Administration - 24/7 Support - Phone & Help Desk
    - LiteSpeed Powered Servers CPanel/WHM - A+ BBB Rating

I totally agree with tleonhard.

Directories with a lot of different hosts is usually just bought advertising space.

Best thing to do, is to see if you can find a couple of reviews on forums like WHT. Off course you can always hire somebody to write a positive review for you here too. And the guy writing the bad review might be the client who is impossible to make happy. And the company with no reviews might just have satisfied costumers who don't join forums..
    You have written well regarding all the possibilities to have or not to have good/bad reviews . That is why we always say take every review with a grain of salt.

Quote Originally Posted by Ender87i View Post
    So I've spent the past few days looking through the endless piles of web-hosting review websites and top-10-hosting type of sites you find all over google when searching for terms like "top host" and "web host reviews"... What ive found is probably the same thing the rest of you have found - A JOKE!
    It is a given the "top-ten" type of sites are less than honest by claiming to be unbiased review sites So what does it say about the hosting companies that are on such list which support such tactics. Since they are allowing, and in some cases actively promoting, less than honest marketing practices, IMO, why should anyone expect honest service from such companies?

WHT is really a great source for webhosting reviews. It's also recommended to read the comments on a review posted at WHT to get more information about the company. Always interesting is the reaction of the webhost when replying to a negative review.

Especially here at WHT there's also the possibility to search for postings made by the webhost you are interested in. Does the webhost owner or representative sounds professional? What attitude does this person show towards customer support or his business in general?

Tom Tomson
    IP.MN - the fast and easy way to check your IP Number

Multiple sources. Never use just a single source of information for research & you'll do fine. Google for company names + "sucks", check twitter's search function, contact the company multiple times, etc.
    David
    Web hosting by Fused For businesses with more important things to do than worry about their hosting.

I have same experience with you, but unlucky for me I spent weeks to look honest review about hosting, so does anyone here got something to be shared?

Quote Originally Posted by Ender87i View Post
    As you can see, there is practically NO CORRELATION whatsoever in these numbers...
    There is correlation between all of the numbers for all of those providers and it comes down to a very simple fact:
    All of those providers pay a large amount of money per referral. Most review / top sites are not based around recommending quality services but instead around making the operator money... Then again, that's the goal of most sites on the internet that aren't simply hobby/family/fun sites.

Here on WHT is a good place to find reviews but surely there are fake positive and fake negative reviews here so you have to take any review with a grain of salt.

At the end of the day...
    1. Don't spend more than you could afford to lose if the provider turns out to be crap. (i.e. don't sign up for 10 years to get a good deal if it's more than you could stand to lose).
    2. Always keep your own off-provider backups if your site is important to you. If the provider does turn out to be crap you can more easily shift providers if you have your own backups.
    Michael Denney - MDDHosting LLC
    New shared plans for 2016! Check them out!
    Highly Available Shared, Premium, Reseller, and VPS
    http://www.mddhosting.com/

Quote Originally Posted by MikeDVB View Post
    There is correlation between all of the numbers for all of those providers and it comes down to a very simple fact:
    All of those providers pay a large amount of money per referral. Most review / top sites are not based around recommending quality services but instead around making the operator money... Then again, that's the goal of most sites on the internet that aren't simply hobby/family/fun sites.

Here on WHT is a good place to find reviews but surely there are fake positive and fake negative reviews here so you have to take any review with a grain of salt.

At the end of the day...
    1. Don't spend more than you could afford to lose if the provider turns out to be crap. (i.e. don't sign up for 10 years to get a good deal if it's more than you could stand to lose).
    2. Always keep your own off-provider backups if your site is important to you. If the provider does turn out to be crap you can more easily shift providers if you have your own backups.
    Thats a really good tip and definitely way to go for web hosting finders. End of the day, the responsibility is to yourself to what you run too. Putting a full trust / blame to a particular host is not the way to go as any hosting will face problems. Even the big players do face problems from time to time. =)

I give reviews on WHT, and other sites that I admin/mod at.

The key to a review is to look for user-generated long reviews. Not a few weenie sentences on a "review site" and definitely not just a list of rankings on a site dedicated to that topic. Find suggestions by people who appear to have knowledge (able to demonstrate a basic resume for competency in hosting), and are trying to be honest with you.

If you do come across a list that is missing the mega-hosts like BlueHost, Godaddy, etc -- then you've likely found a list based around quality suggestions, and not one biased completely by high payouts.
    || Need a good host?
    || See my Suggested Hosts List || Editorial: EIG/Site5/Arvixe/Hostgator Alternatives
    ||

Yep; I have never had a customer post a review anywhere. But then I don't encourage it (my customers are NOT the kind that would seek out WHT!)

I think WHT is a good source for people. I would be suspicious of a host that doesn't receive ANY negative reviews, as its obvious some of the people complaining never read a TOS, or are just lying. Hostjury.com also has consumer reviews, and they seem to be as reliable as the reviews you read for products on Amazon, NewEgg or TigerDirect (meaning, there's always one guy unhappy, one guy ecstatic, and the rest falling in-between ... the average of "the rest" toward the "good" part and not the "bad" part is how you find a good host overall).

Quote Originally Posted by httpEasy View Post
    As much as I second the views expressed in previous posts I'd also take a portion of the reviews at WHT with the usual grain of salt. There have been various enthusiastic reviews here in the past that turned pretty sour over a relatively short period of time.
    +1 ... I would take many of the replies with a grain of salt also as competing hosts often take it upon themselves to "feed the fire."

I totally agree with tleonhard. Wisest comment without hurting others here

:-)

Two thumbs up!

As far as the "Community side" yes i agree WHT in invaluble advice for users/webhosts of all kinds how ever one thing i noticed strait from the off was ever page you look is the "Paid spots/Paid Memberships" that blueball any one else strait to the top. Though im guessing this is gonna get trolled or deleted yes i think WHT is invaluble for people looking for reviews on webhosts or services but on the other hand every advertisement on this site has "Paid the piper" for the privlidge. So personally reading the reviews from the forums is a MUST it shows what real people have experianced not who has the fattest wallet

As i said before you troll it to death bear in mind this is a personal appinion
    █ D & M Digital Creations Ltd - Bringing your creations to life!
    █ Features: UK Based Shared Hosting | UK Besed Linux VPS's | Web Developments
    http://www.dmmedia.co.uk