Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    115

    VPS hosting help

    Hi all

    just after a bit of advice

    i run a phpBB forum which has a few modifications plus a chat room called flashchat now the flash chat can get pretty busy at times which when in use uses a lot of resources

    i have about 5000 members just cut down from 10000 to try and cut the database down also Total posts is 469190 and Total topics is 29230 all recently cut down by about half i usually have around 30-40 users on at the same time with max running to just over 100 and database is just over 500mb

    just recently my forum is running a bit slow and genarelly lagging hence the cutting back on the database to try and speed things up but its still the same!!

    i have spoke to my host and they cant offer me anymore resources so im after moving to a VPS

    im just wondering what sort of specs i can be looking at for the VPS for the forum i dont want overkill but want enough for busy times and expansion

    i have also noticed a lot of providers dont say how much share of CPU you get so im guessing thats shared then?

    i was thinking atleast 1gb of RAM not sure on the CPU side disk space about 20-30gb but even that is overkill and managed too

    can anyone recomend a host in the UK as thats where the audience is and the budget is up to about 50 a month

    any info appreciated

    thanks stu

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    115
    can anyone offer any advice??

  3. #3
    hello,
    I'm taking the experience of our client who run phpBB forum as well and the database about 800MB. Sorry, I can't remember what is the volume of their simultaneous users. The spec is as follow:

    40GB HDD
    1GB RAM
    4 vCPU
    Xen virtualization

    Maybe this can use as your benchmark.
    ControlVM.com :: Cloud Hosting Reliable Xen VPS :: Serving Customer From More Than 40 Countries.
    Hosting Services Available in the USA ● Germany ● Malaysia ● Singapore and Hong Kong

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    115
    great thanks for that

    the thing that is confusing me is the 4 vCPU bit some providers dont state huw much CPU you get

    ive been looking at uk2.net and you can configure how much CPU RAM and disk you require

    anyone have any experience with these

    thanks stu

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Spain
    Posts
    4,222
    Quote Originally Posted by stu_m View Post
    can anyone recomend a host in the UK as thats where the audience is and the budget is up to about 50 a month
    FutureHosting! You can get a 2GB VPS for less than $55....so you're well within budget! Check the VPS offers section.
    They're an excellent provider.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    609
    With most VPS providers you'll get an equal share of CPU. When you get a VPS it's mostly RAM that you need and as long as the node isn't oversold, there will be plenty of CPU available for you to use, on a fair share basis.
    John Slane | Systems Administrator

  7. #7
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    115
    Quote Originally Posted by XTremo View Post
    FutureHosting! You can get a 2GB VPS for less than $55....so you're well within budget! Check the VPS offers section.
    They're an excellent provider.
    thanks but there not in the uk though!

    ive seen loads of uk ones in my budget but read some rubbish reviews i want to get this right first go

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Spain
    Posts
    4,222
    Quote Originally Posted by stu_m View Post
    thanks but there not in the uk though!

    ive seen loads of uk ones in my budget but read some rubbish reviews i want to get this right first go
    Of course they're in the UK.....I've got a VPS with them in RapidSwitch Maidenhead!

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by stu_m View Post
    great thanks for that

    the thing that is confusing me is the 4 vCPU bit some providers dont state huw much CPU you get

    ive been looking at uk2.net and you can configure how much CPU RAM and disk you require

    anyone have any experience with these

    thanks stu
    You have to ask the host concern on the cpu power allocation. each of the host have their own selling pattern. But I strongly recommend you go with Xen VPS instead of openvz if you look for long term stability.
    ControlVM.com :: Cloud Hosting Reliable Xen VPS :: Serving Customer From More Than 40 Countries.
    Hosting Services Available in the USA ● Germany ● Malaysia ● Singapore and Hong Kong

  10. #10
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    115
    Quote Originally Posted by XTremo View Post
    Of course they're in the UK.....I've got a VPS with them in RapidSwitch Maidenhead!
    really?

    looking on their website i cant see anything about server location and all pricing is in USD so assumed it was US based

  11. #11
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    115
    Quote Originally Posted by stu_m View Post
    really?

    looking on their website i cant see anything about server location and all pricing is in USD so assumed it was US based
    scrap that i looked on their forum and found all the info i require

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Las Vegas, NV
    Posts
    1,627
    30-40 active posters at any given time doesn't sound like it will require that much in the way of resources. I'm suspecting that your host needs to allow more simultaneous mysql users, but they may not be willing to do that.

    I would start with a 512 mb VPS account for phpBB & 30-40 active users. I suspect 512 mb will be plenty with proper memory management.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    115
    Quote Originally Posted by ajonate View Post
    30-40 active posters at any given time doesn't sound like it will require that much in the way of resources. I'm suspecting that your host needs to allow more simultaneous mysql users, but they may not be willing to do that.

    I would start with a 512 mb VPS account for phpBB & 30-40 active users. I suspect 512 mb will be plenty with proper memory management.
    yes that would be great just for the phpBB forum but when it comes to users in the chat room this is when it all goes down hill

    the chat room is very resource hungry and just eats everything up

    unfortunately the host isnt playing ball and giving me the required info of how much cpu and memory is been used at busy times i dont mind paying over the odds for a month or two just to make sure the site runs smooth and downgrade if i need to

    thanks stu

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by stu_m View Post
    Hi all

    just after a bit of advice

    i run a phpBB forum which has a few modifications plus a chat room called flashchat now the flash chat can get pretty busy at times which when in use uses a lot of resources

    i have about 5000 members just cut down from 10000 to try and cut the database down also Total posts is 469190 and Total topics is 29230 all recently cut down by about half i usually have around 30-40 users on at the same time with max running to just over 100 and database is just over 500mb

    just recently my forum is running a bit slow and genarelly lagging hence the cutting back on the database to try and speed things up but its still the same!!

    i have spoke to my host and they cant offer me anymore resources so im after moving to a VPS

    im just wondering what sort of specs i can be looking at for the VPS for the forum i dont want overkill but want enough for busy times and expansion

    i have also noticed a lot of providers dont say how much share of CPU you get so im guessing thats shared then?

    i was thinking atleast 1gb of RAM not sure on the CPU side disk space about 20-30gb but even that is overkill and managed too

    can anyone recomend a host in the UK as thats where the audience is and the budget is up to about 50 a month

    any info appreciated

    thanks stu
    I think if you found a quality shared hosting service you could avoid the switch-up to a VPS altogether. It sounds like your current host has you hosted on an oversold server.
    AVAILHOSTING.COM - The Hosting Specialists. 99.9% Uptime Money Back Guarantee.
    Friendly Staff 24x7x365 Support cPanel/WHM End-User Support RVSkin RVSiteBuilder Softaculous
    NEW DEALS on Award-Winning cPanel Reseller Plans! Special Promos Now In Effect!
    Featuring: UNMETERED cPanel VPS & Windows VPS Hosting! Lowest Prices! Free Migration Service.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    115
    Quote Originally Posted by AvailHosting-Jeff View Post
    I think if you found a quality shared hosting service you could avoid the switch-up to a VPS altogether. It sounds like your current host has you hosted on an oversold server.

    if it was just the forum then it would but the chat room is no good in shared enviroment its a common problem with this chat room people have been battling it for years

    the server im hosted on has just under 200 domains on it and i have a guarantee of 256mb of ram not sure on the cpu allocation though

    if i could just get rid of the chat room all would be ok but theres nothing that meets my requirements or what i like!

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-04-2010, 01:39 PM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-15-2010, 11:14 AM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-01-2010, 11:37 AM
  4. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-01-2010, 01:37 PM
  5. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-25-2010, 01:18 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •