Site still displaying deleted file

I have an odd problem and I haven't a clue what's going on.

I went to my website yesterday and I was given an odd error in firefox, stating that there was an unexpected end of file when searching for a }. This makes sense to me; however, the code it displayed was incomplete, as if my computer had only downloaded half the file. I deleted the line the error was on, and the same error was produced...

After messing with the file for a while, I decided to delete it to see what would happen (I have a backup). I still got the same error. This was in a css file. So I decided to delete the php file also, and the site was still displayed the same way with the same errors.

I viewed the source code of my site, and only half the code is shown.

I then created another file on the server simply with "hi" written in it, and I got a 404 file not found error when trying to visit it... It's as if somewhere on my server the contents at some time were cached... I can edit the files on the server just fine, but I can't actually access them through a web browser.

I deleted the cache in my browser, I tried using another browser, I tried using another computer in my house, I had someone else visit my site from another house.

The problem is with my server, but other than that I'm stumped... Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hello,

Can you make sure are you receiving the same error when accessing the site using a proxy site too?

Just to confirm again it is not browser cache.
    " Your work is to discover your work and then with all your heart to give yourself to it. "

That's the mark of a true professional !

Check the domain name for errors at intodns.com, and also check the main domain and www IP addresses. Perhaps the DNS is pointing to another server - not the one you expect.
    Chris

"Some problems are so complex that you have to be highly intelligent and well informed just to be undecided about them." - Laurence J. Peter

You say you had someone visit from another house, do they use the same ISP? If so, make sure to try it via a proxy as mentioned or get someone with a different ISP to check it.

There is the possibility that you ISP caches information as well.

-Greg

A simple way to bypass any caching is to just stick random stuff in the query string.

eg: instead of example.com/mypage.html you could do example.com/mypage.html?foo=bar or example.com/mypage.html?1=2 and so on and so forth....
    RAM Host -- Premium & Budget Linux Hosting From The USA & EU
    █ Featuring Powerful cPanel CloudLinux Shared Hosting
    █ & Cheap Premium Virtual Dedicated Servers
    Follow us on Twitter

if you have the web developer tool bar for firefox, you can use it to display CSS. Try this and see if the CSS file that you deleted shows up.

Thanks for the help. I went to intodns.com, everything was ok, I went to the site through the proxy and I still have the same problem. I also tried adding parameters to the URL.

For a couple days now, after this problem started happening. My server has been down, as in I can't seem to access it. But if that's the case I don't know why my site is still being displayed. I'd rather there be an error page displayed than the half correct page it's currently displaying.

I'm able to go to any page on my site, even pages I've never opened through a browser before, but I can't see any changes I make to the files and I can't access any new files I create.

Maybe they are doing maintenance on the server, and did the "favor" of backing up sites temporarily... I don't know. And I wasn't informed of anything...

I'm fairly certain the problem is with my server, because the site is displayed the same anywhere. My hope is that whenever I can go to my server again the problem will resolve itself, whenever that will be...

Quote Originally Posted by kdts View Post
    For a couple days now, after this problem started happening. My server has been down, as in I can't seem to access it. But if that's the case I don't know why my site is still being displayed.
    When you say the server has been down, do you mean ftp access, control panel or something else? What domain name / url are you using for these?

I'm fairly certain the problem is with my server, because the site is displayed the same anywhere. My hope is that whenever I can go to my server again the problem will resolve itself, whenever that will be...
    Don't wait - it's entirely possible that this problem will not resolve itself. Contact your host and ask for their help in sorting out exactly what's happening.
    Chris

"Some problems are so complex that you have to be highly intelligent and well informed just to be undecided about them." - Laurence J. Peter