Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by DimeNOC Dennis View Post
    What "Zoom Active" says here is actually a very good point. When I am personally deciding on a retailer to do business with or a company to buy a service from, I always check out the Better Business Bureau to get more information about their business practices. It's a bit like an "accreditation" for all businesses and general. Just a glimpse of a few big names on the BBB are below:

Softlayer
    HostGator

There you can really find out more about the companies in question and learn about how they handle their business on a whole.
    I hear that to get within the BBB all you have to do is pony up aload of cash and hey-presto then your a member... Doesnt say much about the whole BBB thing, Other then you can run their if something is amiss...
    UK Based Server Management
    Tel: 0203 189 1159

Quote Originally Posted by cd/home View Post
    I hear that to get within the BBB all you have to do is pony up aload of cash and hey-presto then your a member... Doesnt say much about the whole BBB thing, Other then you can run their if something is amiss...
    The BBB information about a company are quite useful to check the number of complaints that have been filed with the BBB and how the company has resolved these complaints.

These information together with the BBB rating gives you a first overview about a company and whether to expect some problems when doing business with them. Of course you should not make a business decision based only on the BBB rating. Always do your own research and check all available information about a company.

Tom Tomson
    IP.MN - the fast and easy way to check your IP Number

Quote Originally Posted by Logic Surge View Post
    ...what if the "provider" goes out of business? Then a bunch of hosts are out and it isn't necessarily their fault.
    It should be part of their business plan to choose a reliable hosting provider and to have a backup solution ready if their provider goes out of business.

Tom Tomson
    IP.MN - the fast and easy way to check your IP Number

Always backup. Any company can just go away all the sudden. You could see a company years in business get sold or just suddenly vanish without a trace.

Quote Originally Posted by HostXNow View Post
    Well that isn't very accurate. It shows I have 20 domains http://www.webhosting.info/webhosts/...s/hostxnow.com where as I actually have 100+ domains.
    It shows low for us as well. It shows 1.8k domains for us when we are at over 20k.
    JixHost | U.S.A. based hosting & support for 6+ years. | Powerful CloudLinux servers.
    JixHost.com | Instant Activation | Trusted by over 115,000 clients served globally.
    █ Cloud VPS | Alpha Reseller | Master Reseller | Reseller | cPanel shared.
    █ 24/7/365 Help desk support | Recurring Affiliate Program available.

Quote Originally Posted by JixHost View Post
    It shows low for us as well. It shows 1.8k domains for us when we are at over 20k.

It seems pretty accurate for us: http://www.webhosting.info/webhosts/...ns/EXAMPLE.COM We do not host any web sites in fact our site probably doesn't actually exist. Those posts about people being hosted by us cannot be true.

Now seriously to the OP businesses go out of business all the time for various reasons. It's about minimizing your risk of impact as best you can. So maybe as you grow you and don't want to use dedicated servers you diversify your providers. Or if you're always going to be small you keep backups. If you choose wisely then your chances of them going out of business diminishes.

This risk just does not exist at the reseller hosting level either. Their datacenter could go out of business for some reason. The datacenter could have their vendors go out of business affecting their business. Everyone deals with these issues and you just try to be prepared the best you can. Some of the what ifs it's just not possible but those are just calculated risks you need to take.
    Last edited by writespeak; 05-31-2011 at 09:20 AM. Reason: example.com
    Tony B. - Chief Executive Officer
    Hawk Host Inc. Proudly serving websites since 2004
    Quality Shared and VPS Hosting
    PHP 5.3.x & PHP 5.4.x & PHP 5.5.X & PHP 5.6.X Support!

Quote Originally Posted by TonyB View Post
    It seems pretty accurate for us: http://www.webhosting.info/webhosts/...ns/EXAMPLE.COM We do not host any web sites in fact our site probably doesn't actually exist. Those posts about people being hosted by us cannot be true.

Now seriously to the OP businesses go out of business all the time for various reasons. It's about minimizing your risk of impact as best you can. So maybe as you grow you and don't want to use dedicated servers you diversify your providers. Or if you're always going to be small you keep backups. If you choose wisely then your chances of them going out of business diminishes.

This risk just does not exist at the reseller hosting level either. Their datacenter could go out of business for some reason. The datacenter could have their vendors go out of business affecting their business. Everyone deals with these issues and you just try to be prepared the best you can. Some of the what ifs it's just not possible but those are just calculated risks you need to take.
    Absolutely right - it's important that you minimize your risks as much as possible in every aspect of doing business.

Keeping your own backups, making sure that you don't spend more than you can afford to lose, not relying upon any one provider or facility, will all go a long way towards making sure that no one provider or vendor will take your business out of action.

Even in a worst case situation, if you do what you need to do you can bounce back and recover.
    Last edited by writespeak; 05-31-2011 at 09:20 AM. Reason: example.com
    Michael Denney - MDDHosting, LLC - Professional Hosting Solutions
    LiteSpeed Powered - Shared, Premium, Reseller, and VPS
    For high-end shared accounts ideal for business, check out our Premium offerings!
    http://www.mddhosting.com/ - Providing Quality Services since 2007

Of the 30+ domains I host, not one "client" manages his own domain. It's something I do for family and friends who don't know what a server is. What is the best way to backup up 30+ domains off-site using cPanel or WHT? Semoweb did a fabulous job of getting us moved, but we got lucky. The server is dying slowly instead of disappearing all at once. (Can anyone explain that scenario? Why wouldn't the upstream provider just pull the plug?) Only one of the sites was critical, and Semoweb was able to grab it with no loss of data.

If I may expand this discussion a little, beyond a server suddenly disappearing, what are the advance warning signs of a failing provider? Here are my thoughts in no particular order.

1. No or slow response to support tickets.
    2. Support chat always off line.
    3. No answer on the support phone line.
    4. No response to emails.
    5. Dissolution of corporation for failure to pay taxes.
    6. Server crash that takes two days to get back online.
    7. Impatient or snarky responses from the owner.
    8. One-in-a-lifetime deals for payment in advance.
    9. Taking the forum off-line when there are major server problems.

Your thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by neumannu47 View Post
    Of the 30+ domains I host, not one "client" manages his own domain. It's something I do for family and friends who don't know what a server is. What is the best way to backup up 30+ domains off-site using cPanel or WHT? Semoweb did a fabulous job of getting us moved, but we got lucky. The server is dying slowly instead of disappearing all at once. (Can anyone explain that scenario? Why wouldn't the upstream provider just pull the plug?) Only one of the sites was critical, and Semoweb was able to grab it with no loss of data.

If I may expand this discussion a little, beyond a server suddenly disappearing, what are the advance warning signs of a failing provider? Here are my thoughts in no particular order.

Your thoughts?
    You're sort of forking the thread - try posting this here or report your own post and ask a mod to move it for you .
    Cody R. - Chief Technical Officer
    Quality Shared and VPS Hosting
    Hawk Host Inc. Proudly serving websites since 2004
    PHP 5.3.x & PHP 5.4.x & PHP 5.5.X Support!

I think that the best course of action, for both the provider of the unpaid reseller account and for the clients of a reseller is this:

Example: We provide a client with a reseller account, of which after 4 months they stop paying and drop contact with us.

As suggested in this thread, instead of terminating the account after a prolonged unpaid period keep the services online.

After 30 days of no contact or payment, the parent company could then ACQUIRE the Reseller's clients and import their data into our own billing system.

This way the clients who would otherwise lose service due to a Reseller's inability to pay their bill would not lose service, and the parent company would earn back what is due to them from the clients of the reseller.

Resellers are essentially middle-men, and when they disappear or leave their clients in the dark I think it would be appropriate for the parent company to be able to step in and remove the non-paying / non-contactable middle man and take over their client base after a prolonged period of no contact or payment made on their part. The last thing this world needs is more fly-by-night hosts and negative reviews on WHT about 'companies' that just disappear. The sad fact is a lot of resellers believe that web hosting is a turn-key operation, a way to make some easy and fast cash and quickly become discouraged when they realize the amount of effort involved in successfully running a business. Even if they only have 5 clients, these individuals should not be left in the dark due to the reseller's inability to manage priorities. The parent company should be able to step in and continue to provide them their service.

I think the clients would be happy, so long as current plans/pricing were honored, etc.

Thoughts?
    Last edited by MannDude; 05-30-2011 at 01:13 PM.
    vpsBoard - An active resource for all things Virtual Private Servers. Tutorials, Guides, Offers and more!
    Come join the conversation! 90,000 posts and growing daily! The fastest growing hosting forum around!

Of the 30+ domains I host, not one "client" manages his own domain. It's something I do for family and friends who don't know what a server is. What is the best way to backup up 30+ domains off-site using cPanel or WHT?
    If you have root access you can set up cPanel backups on a daily/weekly/monthly basis and you can have them stored on a separate drive or even FTP'd to an external target.

If you don't have root access you can do the same as above using a script like this one on a cron:
    http://forums.cpanel.net/f49/update-...lp-135265.html

Semoweb did a fabulous job of getting us moved, but we got lucky. The server is dying slowly instead of disappearing all at once. (Can anyone explain that scenario? Why wouldn't the upstream provider just pull the plug?) Only one of the sites was critical, and Semoweb was able to grab it with no loss of data.
    There's no real way of knowing unfortunately.

Which could also indicate that you're simply not getting their responses or their responses are going to your spam box, if you're not checking the help desk directly.
    Not all providers use live chat for support, some use it for sales only and since it tends to not be the best medium for actually providing *support* many providers do not make it a priority.
    Do they call you back, did you leave a voice mail? Maybe all of the operators were busy and your call timed out due to this.
    Essentially the same as no responses to tickets from above, unless for some reason you're emailing somebody directly for support which isn't a good idea anyways.
    Well, yeah, that's probably a sign that a business is in trouble either way be it a hosting provider or not.
    Depending on what that crash is, that may be normal. I mean as an example if the server literally catches fire and they don't have an extra piece of equipment on-hand and have to order new hardware, build and configure, and then restore data to it - it could easily take 2+ days.
    I don't know how that would be a sign of a business going out of business - it could simply be a sign that the owner was using a mobile device and was being short and to the point when you took it as snarky and impatient due to not knowing the full details of the situation.
    It could be a sign of bad cash-flow or it could be a sign of a company trying to obtain some capital to expand without having to sell parts of their company to investors.
    Or it could be that the large influx of traffic due to those checking the forums during major server problems caused the server hosting the forums to go offline.

Your thoughts?
    Posted
    Michael Denney - MDDHosting, LLC - Professional Hosting Solutions
    LiteSpeed Powered - Shared, Premium, Reseller, and VPS
    For high-end shared accounts ideal for business, check out our Premium offerings!
    http://www.mddhosting.com/ - Providing Quality Services since 2007

12. Newsletters

Subscribe Now & Get The WHT Quick Start Guide!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12