LeaseWeb IPv6 clarification?

Does LeaseWeb assign each customer their own /64?

I'm testing a virtualization setup on LeaseWeb, and every virtual machine I create is getting an auto-configured IPv6 address within the same /64, according to the EUI-64 mechanism.

So far so good... It appears to me that LeaseWeb has assigned this server an entire /64, and I should be able to configure a virtual network as I please within that subnet.

I'd just like confirmation that this is indeed the case. I wouldn't want to get yelled at by LeaseWeb, sometime down the road, for occupying address space that I'm not authorized to use. I'm being extra cautious here because I've heard of issues with their haphazard IPv4 assignments in the past -- hopefully those issues haven't carried over to the v6 side.

Auto-configured addresses would be equivalent to 169 addresses, if it is what I am thinking it is. They will still route most likely, however I wouldn't rely on them for your server.
    Dan Sheppard ~ Freelance whatever

I can't comment on LeaseWeb specifically, but hosts should at the very least assign a /64 per customer. That's the minimum for IPv6 auto-configuration to work, and the IPv6 designers obviously expected it to be a minimum allocation for an end-user site.
    Scott Burns, President
    BQ Internet Corporation
    Remote Rsync and FTP backup solutions
    *** http://www.bqbackup.com/ ***

Quote Originally Posted by Sheps View Post
    Auto-configured addresses would be equivalent to 169 addresses, if it is what I am thinking it is. They will still route most likely, however I wouldn't rely on them for your server.
    IPv6 auto-configuration on an ethernet network basically takes the 48-bit MAC address of a device, converts it to EUI-64, and puts it in the lower 64-bits of the IPv6 address. With virtualization, it would use the virtual MAC. By giving each customer a /64, all of their devices can auto-configure, and it can be globally routable. It eliminates the need for DHCP.
    Scott Burns, President
    BQ Internet Corporation
    Remote Rsync and FTP backup solutions
    *** http://www.bqbackup.com/ ***

I have had a Leaseweb server before and they gave me a full /64 but it was a dedicated server not a Virtual Server or Cloud.

You should ask Leaseweb support directly or wait for a reply from Leaseweb.

IPv6 clarification

Just to let you know SoftLayer gives free IPv6 addresses.

"for now".
    Most people "for now" are assigning them for free, however I can see additional blocks past the initial /64 being charged soon or even now.
    The ARIN fee waivers are expiring and the initial intro period to everyone with IPv6 will soon be over and providers will start charging for IPv6 too.
    Obviously in a different format from IP4, but will most likely happen none the less.

Quote Originally Posted by bqinternet View Post
    hosts should at the very least assign a /64 per customer
    I'd argue a /56 per customer, but if they're not doing a /64 per server they're doing it kinda wrong...

Thanks for the input, folks.

I'll see if I can get a definitive answer from LeaseWeb's support tomorrow. I did not bother contacting them over the weekend with such a generic inquiry, knowing it'd go unanswered. But based on the comments here, it sounds like the /64 advertised by my nearest router should indeed be all mine.

They give you 2^64 IPV6 address if you asked support to assign to you.