Question Best VPS Solution

I wanted to know which VPS solution (OpenVZ or Xen or anything else) I should install on my dedicated server. These are my requirements:

- containers should be able to have their own firewall rules
    - each container should be able to do anything they want, e.g. send 10,000 emails without affecting other containers
    - easy to manage and install

I would like a solution where I dont need to constantly monitor the server load like you do on a shared server, or is this not possible?

XenServer is my favorite but Proxmox is really nice also (and considering I foresee KVM having a lot more support in the future than Xen will I say go with Proxmox because it gives you options).
    -Joe @ Secure Dragon LLC.
    + OpenVZ Powered by Wyvern | KVM | cPanel Hosting | Backup VPSs | LowEndBoxes | DDOS Protection
    + Florida | Colorado | Illinois | California | Oregon | Georgia | New Jersey | Arizona | Texas

Can someone give me a good newbie guide in installing and configuring xen on a dedicated server?

The best advice I can give you is to install it on a local development server and play with it. Be extremely familiar with it before you deploy it in a production environment.
    + OpenVZ Powered by Wyvern | KVM | cPanel Hosting | Backup VPSs | LowEndBoxes | DDOS Protection
    + Florida | Colorado | Illinois | California | Oregon | Georgia | New Jersey | Arizona | Texas

ok thanks...

If you had to choose between OpenVZ or Xen, which one gives the best isolation? that is one VPS user cannot affect any other VPS user?

Xen will always be my choice over OpenVZ. I hate OpenVZ with a passion (way to many issues with every OpenVZ server I've ever gotten whereas Xen always works correctly right out of the box).

Quote Originally Posted by ZKuJoe View Post
    Xen will always be my choice over OpenVZ. I hate OpenVZ with a passion (way to many issues with every OpenVZ server I've ever gotten whereas Xen always works correctly right out of the box).
    OpenVZ is a good platform, and works for most. However, not everyone is doing something that pushes a VPS's resources and limits to the max.
    BLAZINGSWITCH | sales /@/ blazingswitch.com
    SEO HOSTING | ARIN/RIPE/APNIC | 250+ CLASS-B | CLEAN IPv4 LEASING | 1G UNMETERED
    HIGH SPEED WEB HOSTING SOLUTIONS | ENTERPRISE GRADE HARDWARE

Quote Originally Posted by kshazad86 View Post
    ok thanks...

If you had to choose between OpenVZ or Xen, which one gives the best isolation? that is one VPS user cannot affect any other VPS user?
    These are starting questions, some additional questions, is this for personal use or public use? For personal use, the desire to overload is not as driven as public use, you are preforming tasks you need done in the various containers and can fine tune each job in each container to meet those needs, while for public use, you cannot be 100% sure the user will not treat their container as a right to use 100% of the nodes resources, and as someone who has proclaimed their lack of experience with virtualization, a lab server where you purposely attempt to degrade service and use as a learning tool to work with is going to be the best education available.

Now specific to your question, best isolation, Xen by far over OpenVZ, but I think KVM should not be overlooked either. It has easier over commitment features then Xen, but it is simply a feature, you have to make the choice to over commit to begin with.
    Hostigation.com - High Resource Hosting
    WHM/cPanel Servers for Hosting and Dedicated Needs
    SolusVM VPS Hosting - Big Features, Small Prices
    Like us on Facebook or follow @hostigation on Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by Barefootsies View Post
    OpenVZ is a good platform, and works for most. However, not everyone is doing something that pushes a VPS's resources and limits to the max.
    I'm not even talking about pushing resources to the max. I'm talking about having to go to OpenVZ's site for every VPS and install and setup workarounds for known bugs.

Quote Originally Posted by ZKuJoe View Post
    XenServer is my favorite but Proxmox is really nice also (and considering I foresee KVM having a lot more support in the future than Xen will I say go with Proxmox because it gives you options).
    I love Proxmox. Much easier to setup and very nice web gui.

I'll always say OpenVZ, Xen is incorrectly marketed in most cased.
    One huge gripe of mine is that many sell Xen as the system that can't be oversold, however it can, and produces much greater negative effects when it is, over-all KVM is the best for configuration however you'd need to put in more time.

OpenVZ will close committing processes when it reaches it's limit,
    Xen will disable many of the containers, sometimes forcing you to completely relocate those VPS to continue.
    OpenVZ does have it's flaws, however it's much easier to code for.

And why would you need to Bug-fix for every VPS?
    You'll find bugs in all virtualisation software.
    With VM kernels, you want to look for what suits your needs rather than which is best, because everyone will have a different opinion.
    Last edited by NixDot; 05-28-2011 at 12:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by NixDot View Post
    I'll always say OpenVZ, Xen is incorrectly marketed in most cased.
    One huge gripe of mine is that many sell Xen as the system that can't be oversold, however it can, and produces much greater negative effects when it is, over-all KVM is the best for configuration however you'd need to put in more time.

OpenVZ will close committing processes when it reaches it's limit,
    Xen will disable many of the containers, sometimes forcing you to completely relocate those VPS to continue.
    OpenVZ does have it's flaws, however it's much easier to code for.

And why would you need to Bug-fix for every VPS?
    You'll find bugs in all virtualisation software.
    With VM kernels, you want to look for what suits your needs rather than which is best, because everyone will have a different opinion.
    Just adding to what NixDot said, KVM can also be oversold.

http://docs.redhat.com/docs/en-US/Re..._with_KVM.html
    HeroBill - On-premises Enterprise billing software for hosting providers
    █ UK Based, 24/7 Support Phone Support, Migration Services, Inventory Management, etc...
    https://herobill.com

Wow, you want to send 10,000 emails on VPS? Even most Dedicated Servers have a limit of 3600 emails per hour.

You will need to send email using cron so you stay within the hourly limits.

Both are good IF configured properly. OpenVz is my favorite.