Leaving BlueHost and Need a Recommendation

Hi -

I've been with BlueHost for the past year and lately they have just been killing my site. For starters, it's constantly getting throttled and lately, I'm getting the "Error Connecting to Database" error. They've told me all the issues are my fault but I've had 3 people look at it and they have all said that its fine.

Anyway, I'm looking to leave them as soon as I can.

I'm looking for recommendations on which site is the best for my needs and I'd like to spend around $20 if I could.

My website is called Daily Actor (an entertainment website) and these are my stats/needs:

- I'd like more than 15 concurrent visitors on mysql
    - I'm using around 70 gigs a month bandwidth
    - Visitors between 1,500 and 4,000 per day.

I thought about upgrading to BlueHosts $20 a month option but I'm not sure if I want to stay with them. I've also contacted MDD Hosting and HawkHost but neither of them have gotten back to me.

Thanks for your help and I really appreciate any feed back you can give.

15 MySQL constant connections is quite a bit for shared hosting...

How much disk space are you looking for? I have a few suggestions.
    LeapNode - Affordable Minecraft Hosting

I'm new at this... so I didn't know.

I'm just going by what BlueHost told me. They told me that's why I keep getting the Error Connecting to Database error.

Disk Space - I'm not sure. 10/20 gigs maybe? I have a couple sites that I'm using on the shared domain but the one that uses 99% of the resources is the Entertainment site

I would take a look at DirectSpace, they have plans that you may like with great staff and uptime.
    LeapNode - Affordable Minecraft Hosting

Thanks Austin. I'll definitely check them out

Quote Originally Posted by LCarter View Post
    I've also contacted MDD Hosting and HawkHost but neither of them have gotten back to me.
    How have you gotten in touch with us? I don't see any outstanding support tickets however we have had some issues with our phone system lately so if you called and left a message you'll be getting a return call in the morning.
    Michael Denney - MDDHosting LLC
    New shared plans for 2016! Check them out!
    Highly Available Shared, Premium, Reseller, and VPS
    http://www.mddhosting.com/

removing all-in-one seo package will help you a lot, that crappy plugin is resources intensive, Wordpress comes already very well SEOed, you dont need to add that.
    Shared Web Hosting - Reseller Hosting - Semi-Dedicated Servers - SolusVM/XEN VPS
    LiteSpeed Powered - R1Soft Continuous Data Protection - 24/7 Chat/Email/Helpdesk Support
    Cpanel/WHM - Softaculous - R1soft Backup - Litespeed - Cloudlinux -Site Builder- SSH support - Account Migration
    DowntownHost LLC - In Business since 2001- West/Center/East USA - Netherlands - Singapore

I would suggest hosting with someone who is not as big as bluehost, hostgator etc. Because thats the only way you can expect personalized support.

I've also contacted MDD Hosting and HawkHost but neither of them have gotten back to me.
    Im sure either of those hosts will be a huge step up from what you have with Bluehost. I wouldnt upgrade with Bluehost, because you probably dont need to. Sounds to me like you just need a more stable, less overcrowded shared server (bluehost is notorious for for provide a slow/congested web hosting service).
    Need Web Hosting? Click Here to Learn Why You Should Switch To FernGullyGraphics
    FernGullyGraphics --- 426 14th St. Suite #115 --- Modesto, California --- 95354

Need Business Cards? Click Here

wow thats alot of concurrent visitors on mysql

If you can spend $20, you can search the VPS area which would be better for your website.

I'm sure MDD Hosting and HawkHost will be able to help you. They generally have great reviews in these forums, so my advice is to wait for their response.
    Serverfruit - awesome cPanel hosting!
    Bacon forever!

My advice is to go with any of these providers :

Very High Budget : LiquidWeb (over 15$ month)
    Otherwise, MDD Hosting. (nearly 7$ for the basic plan)

MDDHosting for sure!

Eboundhost.com is pretty good. it's worth checking them out
    Mrgeekchris.com ~ It's not just a job It's a passion
    "Mistakes are proof that you are trying"

Go for a VPS and save your nightmares.
    █▌ Cheapest Shared Hosting Solutions with 17+ Server Locations.
    █▌ Skrill, Perfect Money, AdvCash, Webmoney,OKPAY, Neteller, BitCoin, Payeer, STP.
    █▌ Web Hosting, Offshore Hosting, Reseller Hosting, VPS Hosting, Cloud Hosting by HostNesta.com!

My advise is to go with a VPS so you will not be so limited/capped when it comes to resource usage. A lot of shared hosts limit you to only so much CPU/MySQL Connections/etc in order to keep their server stable for other clients (hence called shared hosting). With a VPS it is more like a dedicated environment so you don't have caps like that. If you can increase your budget, definately have a look in the VPS advertising division here on WHT.

If however a VPS is not in your budget, try asking some shared hosting providers around such as MDD Hosting or Stable Host, but usually a lot have their limits.
    Brian Oliver - COO
    XFuse Solutions, LLC
    Fusing Superior Support with Superior Web Solutions
    http://www.xfusesolutions.com

Quote Originally Posted by nerdie View Post
    15 MySQL constant connections is quite a bit for shared hosting...
    I recommend using a semi-dedicated hosting account.

So you see, vps is the best option for your current budget.

Thanks for the responses everyone. I was away for the holiday weekend so I wasnt able to respond.

Regarding a VPS like everyone had suggested, what would you recommend? I saw LiquidWeb. Anything else that isnt hugely expensive?

Thanks for the responses everyone. I was away for the holiday weekend so I wasnt able to respond.

Regarding a VPS like everyone had suggested, what would you recommend? I saw LiquidWeb. Anything else that isnt hugely expensive?
    LiquidWeb's VPS Hosting is A Class. You should be fine with them.
    Alternatives : KnownHost, FutureHosting

How was it like at BlueHost before this happened LCarter? I'm debating on if I should switch to them and then I read this thread..

Thanks 008 - I'll check all of them out.

sndev - they were fine till I started to get over 1,000 visitors on a regular basis. After that, it all started going downhill.

I recommend Hostgator who providing better hosting support for your site.

Thanks 008 - I'll check all of them out.

sndev - they were fine till I started to get over 1,000 visitors on a regular basis. After that, it all started going downhill.
    If you even get between 5-10 thousand visitors per day for your site, you should be fine with a GOOD shared hosting.
    Like, I'm using MDD hosting without any issues.
    This is my site : forum.smartphonegeeks.in

And, the good part is that you can upgrade to a VPS when you really NEED it. Why waste money?