How much downtime is acceptable? Who's accountable?

I noticed 45 minutes ago that our server was down, and I submitted a ticket about 20 minutes ago. I assume they're working on it.

We're still in development, so we only access the server when we deploy (about 3 times a day). But in production, how much time is acceptable downtime? Right now it's not a big deal since only a handful of people have access to the site/ftp/server.

Being the case if we were live, who takes responsibility for server downtime? Is it me for not noticing it sooner, or the managed provider for the 45+ minutes of downtime without contacting me?

Thanks.

If it's a fully managed provider they should have noticed the outage within MINUTES of it occurring, sure as hell not you telling them about it. What does their SLA state about downtime? Most providers give an average, like 99.9% a month of guaranteed uptime.

Is it "reactive managed" aka "basic managed" or "fully managed" with monitoring etc? If management is costing under $100/month it's probably basic managed. Did you ask them if they have monitoring setup or if it's included?

All providers vary.
    Dallas Colocation by Incero, 8 years and counting!
    e: sales(at)incero(dot)com 855.217.COLO (2656)
    Colocation & Enterprise Servers, SATA/SAS/SSD, secure IPMI/KVM remote control, 100% U.S.A. Based Staff
    SSAE 16, SAS70, Redundant Power & Network, Fully Diverse Fiber

Their SLA says 99.5% or money back. But I don't know if it's the network or hardware.

They say "fully managed servers, no questions asked". I'm paying $140/month, so I assume it's a basic managed server.

I honestly haven't created that many tickets, only a few configuration tickets (mailenable configuration, initial IP/emails configuration, etc...) and the infamous problem I have with the emails being marked as spam.

I'm only using this server for one retail site. That's all.

The server's finally up.

Thanks.

Personally, I think regardless of what you pay, if a company advertises "fully managed" then I would expect them to be proactive with any outages. I would have a talk with them and see if they can proactively monitor the server and go from there. Although to be frank, a 99.5% uptime guarantee is less than stellar... you /sometimes/ get what you pay for, I guess.

When you consider that reputable management companies like Rack911 charge a few hundred a month just to manage a server (not including the server) you can't expect too much from a $140/month server. However, do ask them if monitoring is included. If it's not, get yourself a pingdom.com account (but ideally you want to also be monitoring load, RAID, SMART, etc 24/7 every few minutes which is what a higher end provider would do).

If future downtime will cost you money (you mentioned it's a retail site) then I wouldn't just let this one event blow over.
    Dallas Colocation by Incero, 8 years and counting!
    e: sales(at)incero(dot)com 855.217.COLO (2656)
    Colocation & Enterprise Servers, SATA/SAS/SSD, secure IPMI/KVM remote control, 100% U.S.A. Based Staff
    SSAE 16, SAS70, Redundant Power & Network, Fully Diverse Fiber

Quote Originally Posted by vmhatup View Post
    Their SLA says 99.5% or money back. But I don't know if it's the network or hardware.
    I would think it would be either. At 99.5%, you can incur 43.8 hours of downtime per year before they have to pay out SLA credits.

Uptime guarantees are misleading -- nobody can guarantee uptime. All they're doing is setting a threshold for which you can receive service credits for downtime.
    Eric Spaeth
    Enterprise Network Engineer :: Hosting Hobbyist :: Master of Procrastination
    "The really cool thing about facts is they remain true regardless of who states them."

it depends on the host we have all our customer servers monitored if a server goes down it gets fixed often before the customer even notices.

They said that it was that a process caused the Iphlpsvc (IP Helper Service) to stop. Therefore the NIC was unable to allow any traffic through for a short period of time.

Since we only use this server to host one site, I have no idea what it is or how that got in there. But it's fixed.

Quote Originally Posted by cyberhouse View Post
    it depends on the host we have all our customer servers monitored if a server goes down it gets fixed often before the customer even notices.
    Indeed, that's how a support has to be