PhotonVPS.com Review, Customer Support, Ratings, My Experience

Here is my review on PhotonVPS.com's customer support, and my ratings as I have experienced them to date. I started with them on May 16th and asked for a refund a few days later as per their 30 day refund policy on May 22. The refund hasn't yet been issued.

I needed the VPS for business purposes and like any business person time costs money. I'll list the problems I had and some thoughts in the order they occurred.

1. I opened a ticket right after subscribing to their ZAP 2 VPS service to confirm when the VPS would be provisioned. I received two replies within about 12 minutes. The first reply was apologizing for the delay and they will get back to me as soon as the VPS is ready. One minute later I get another reply telling me that the VPS will be provisioned within 4 - 5 hours which was definitive and something I could work a schedule around so I could set aside time to configure the new server once I received it. I'm not sure why there were two replies but it seemed disjointed to me. Then about 5 hours later I get another reply in the ticket from a Jimmy Lu telling me the VPS will be ready in 12 to 24 hours which then blew the time I had set aside to work on the VPS right out the window. I then decided to leave it alone until the next morning expecting by then there would be a welcome e-mail indicating my VPS had been setup escpecially after promising a 4 to 5 hour provisioning time to begin with. Wrong! I had to send another reply to the ticket to see what was going on. I also went and used their chat service who confirmed the VPS had not been setup yet but they would get on it right away. About an hour later I get told a welcome e-mail had been sent after contacting chat and guess what no e-mail. I sent in another reply to the ticket indicating that I either get a welcome e-mail or a refund. I didn't have time to deal with inconsistent and inaccurate replies, and support that wasn't following up without being nudged.

I got the VPS within about 12 hours which was a far cry from the 4 to 5 hours indicated in the ticket and what I based my schedule around. That more or less sums up the first 24 hours.

I've just run out time and I'll post the rest of the PhotonVPS experience when I get the chance, hopefully by tomorrow. I don't like posting negative web hosting reviews or ratings on my customer support issues but hopefully this will be information to consider for those looking for a new web host or virtual private server.
    Last edited by AstroDude; 05-27-2011 at 04:53 PM.

All refunds are processed 3-5 business days after the VPS has been terminated from our system.

If this isn't completed within the time allocated, please open a ticket and we'll be glad to refund this charge.
    Psychz Networks - Dedicated Servers, Co-location | GigePipe - High Bandwidth Servers | PhotonVPS - SSD Cloud
    True Layer 7 DDoS Mitigation | BGP Optimized by Noction Intelligent Routing | Asia-Pacific Low Latency Routes
    Los Angeles, CA (US West) | Dallas, TX (US East) | Ashburn, VA (US East)

Thanks. I received the refund.

well . did not they told you . why is this delay about maybe they have some reasonable reasons .

Quote Originally Posted by derbal View Post
    well . did not they told you . why is this delay about maybe they have some reasonable reasons .
    If your asking if there were any other reasons for the delay after the 4-5 hours then no. It went from 4 - 5 hours to 12 - 24 with no other reason given.

Our typical setup for Windows VPS is 12-24 hours.
    Psychz Networks - Dedicated Servers, Co-location | GigePipe - High Bandwidth Servers | PhotonVPS - SSD Cloud
    True Layer 7 DDoS Mitigation | BGP Optimized by Noction Intelligent Routing | Asia-Pacific Low Latency Routes
    Los Angeles, CA (US West) | Dallas, TX (US East) | Ashburn, VA (US East)

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by AstroDude View Post
    Thanks. I received the refund.

I am active on this forum from previous 6 months and first time I am hearing that some one has been refunded by hoster.
    Congratulations anyway.
    Modelwebhost.com
    [US/UK] Shared Hosting, Reseller Hosting, Master Reseller Hosting
    WHMReseller | Softaculous | WHMCS | Dedicated IP | SSL
    We accept Paypal, 2checkout, Credit Cards, Payza, OKPAY and Bank payments

Sounds like this is one of those customers you just don't want to deal with at all.
    On the contrary, I signed up for Photon VPS just over a month ago, and have had absolutely zero issues with things at all.They had my VPS setup almost instantly, even WITH DA (as opposed to others who've taken days to even setup DA). The network is reliable, the system is decent. No problems at all!
    WHMCS Guru - WHMCS addons, management, support and more.
    WHMCS Notifications Extended - Add slack, hipchat, SMS, pushover to WHMCS !!
    Always looking for Linux, WHMCS, Support Desk work. PM for details

Quote Originally Posted by linux-tech View Post
    Sounds like this is one of those customers you just don't want to deal with at all.
    On the contrary, I signed up for Photon VPS just over a month ago, and have had absolutely zero issues with things at all.They had my VPS setup almost instantly, even WITH DA (as opposed to others who've taken days to even setup DA). The network is reliable, the system is decent. No problems at all!
    You sound like a person who has experience running a hosting service before or know a lot about it. Are you still in business? Are you planning on going into business? With a mentality like this I wouldn't even think about it. There's so many possibilities here why you would choose to attack rather than just let a customer have a say, and none of them are admirable.
    Last edited by AstroDude; 05-28-2011 at 11:33 AM.

You sound like a person who has experience running a hosting service before or know a lot about it. Are you still in business? Are you planning on going into business? With a mentality like this I wouldn't even think about it. There's so many possibilities here why you would choose to attack rather than just let a customer have a say, and none of them are admirable.
    I've been in business since 2002,so there's no question, I am in business, am still in business and doing well enough.
    The assessment is pretty simple
    Step 1: you order VPS
    Step 2: you immediately open support ticket demanding to know exactly when this is going to be setup (first sign of bad client)
    Step 3: When you don't get things fast enough, you throw a fit and demand a refund. (second sign of a bad client).
    Step 4: Not receiving said refund fast enough, you come in here blasting the provider. Final sign of a bad client.

The fact is that you need to learn some patience and allow people to do their jobs without immediately harassing them.
    Last edited by whmcsguru; 05-28-2011 at 11:46 AM.

I've been in business since 2002,so there's no question, I am in business, am still in business and doing well enough.
    Step 2: you immediately open support ticket demanding to know exactly when this is going to be setup (first sign of bad client)
    Step 3: When you don't get your way you throw a fit and demand a refund. (second sign of a bad client).
    Step 4: Not receiving said refund fast enough, you come in here blasting the provider. Final sign of a bad client.

The fact is that you need to learn some patience and allow people to do their jobs without immediately harassing them.
    Well by getting involved here in this manner, and some of the points your making isn't benefiting your business, but it's up to you.

Quote Originally Posted by jamshed_11946 View Post
    I am active on this forum from previous 6 months and first time I am hearing that some one has been refunded by hoster.
    Congratulations anyway.
    Refund is a part of hosting business. Money back makes many clients smilies, although they don't continue with you.
    UpReseller || Bring to you friendly support with offshore/onshore hosting, reseller and cPanel VPS Management.
    www.upreseller.com

Sorry, but this sound like more of an inconvenience than it does bad service. Did you ever get around to actually hosting a site with them?

Quote Originally Posted by jaypeesmith View Post
    Sorry, but this sound like more of an inconvenience than it does bad service. Did you ever get around to actually hosting a site with them?
    It wasn't very professional or good service to be handed the VPS without a valid windows license which still wasn't rectified in 15+ hours after submitting a support ticket. They offer 24/7 support and based on my experience with other services and the level of difficulty of the ticket I decided I wasn't going to hang around to see what the future would hold. I have encountered much better support.

Inconvenience or bad service call it what you want. I've only stated what happened and if one disagrees or agrees it's up to the individual.

Step 3: When you don't get things fast enough, you throw a fit and demand a refund. (second sign of a bad client).

It's not excatly that way as you skipped important part. He opened a ticket, asked and got agreement about something with host (timeline). And then HOST didn't fulfil what they said in ticket. Imho you see from op writings this what you want to see and give us biased summary which of course isn't really ok.

From your point of a view it's something extremely bad to open ticket, to ask host when it will be possible, to get some info, etc.. but it's completely acceptable from host to say something and then don't fulfil this - which is of course nonsense. That's why support exist. If you see basic communication, info request, etc... as harassing you're in wrong bussiness.

sidenote. I pity the host which push refund button easier than create vps as they agreed about.
    Last edited by Spirit; 05-28-2011 at 06:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Spirit View Post
    From your point of a view it's something extremely bad to open ticket, to ask host when it will be possible, to get some info, etc.. but it's completely acceptable from host to say something and then don't fulfil this - which is of course nonsense. That's why support exist. If you see basic communication, info request, etc... as harassing you're in wrong bussiness.
    Don't ever presume to know my 'point of a view' again, clearly you can't interpret the English language at all.

Firstly, the person asked the question, in his own words:

I opened a ticket right after subscribing
    IMMMEDIATELY after subscribing! If this doesn't send up red flags, then I don't know what does. Now if it had been anything other than 'when will my vps be setup', maybe I'd be inclined to agree, but no, it was 'when will my vps be setup'.

As far as the replies, yes, leeway should be given. A reply isn't a guarantee, or a contract. Hell, if you MUST have something instantly, contact the provider BEFORE hand to verify they can do this.

This isn't 'basic information request', no, no, this is an impatient, unruly customer (or not even, at that). To further prove the point, this individual has the guts to go out and attack those that DARE speak the truth.

The facts are quite simple here:
    Like servers, VPS' can take up to 24 hours to setup. If you need it done quicker, then ASK BEFOREHAND. If you act like a spoiled, impatient child, expect to be treated like one.

Did the provider screw up? Meh, nothing worth throwing a hissy fit about and running to WHT like a little girl trying to make them look bad. This one's all about the customer being 100% impatient and wrong, nothing more.

clearly you can't interpret the English language at all.
    Yes of course, english obviously isn't my first language but I hope that you don't try to build argument on this to prove your own right.

IMMMEDIATELY after subscribing! If this doesn't send up red flags, then I don't know what does.
    Red flags for something like that? You said RED FLAG?! Huh? He wanted to know something and opened support ticket with question - nothing more than that. Is it really this innocent info related question red flag for you? Get real. What's so new here in hosting business? All what's needed to do is to give simple short honest reply. But as we see daily some hosts aren't capable of this. That's one of those cases. You requested patience from client. What about some patience from host? It's not like user would request something what isn't in nature of this business.

A reply isn't a guarantee, or a contract.
    Of course not, I agree here with you however this makes difference between competent, honest, reliable host and unreliable host which (if I may use your words) "send up red flags". If you would be objective, unbiased here you would mostl likely agree with that.
    I don't say that host did something terrible, that this is bad host or anything like that as I don't have experiences with them, but is it that hard to say "your vps will be created in 12 hours" and then create vps in those hours instead replying with nonsense which then aren't fulfilled. From user point of view this is the thing which would rise red flag and not innocent informative support ticket question.
    Last edited by Spirit; 05-28-2011 at 07:47 PM.

Yes of course, english obviously isn't my first language
    Then don't come in here and presume to know what others are saying by reading into their words.

Red flags for something like that? You said RED FLAG?! Huh? He wanted to know something and opened support ticket with question
    wrong
    The buyer was impatient, wanted it done now, and couldn't be bothered to , you know, do some RESEARCH before paying for their order, or making it. Further proof they're impatient? They're right in here actually whining about the refund not happening fast enough. This isn't a 'provider' issue, this is a customer issue,.

Of course not, I agree here with you however this makes difference between competent, honest, reliable host and unreliable host which (if I may use your words) "send up red flags". If you would be objective, unbiased here you would mostl likely agree with that.
    Again, wrong
    Just because someone says something doesn't mean it's a contract or agreement. Just because they're wrong doesn't make them incompetent, nor does it send up a red flag.

In this case, there are many reasons they could have been off in the setup time here. Perhaps they themselves were delayed in getting hardware to them. Perhaps they had to reallocate current hardware to other resources. Perhaps they had some other issue in the company. A failure to make a deadline does NOT mean the company (or staff) is incompetent, it merely means that the staff mis-spoke.

Was the VPS delivered within 24 hours? Absolutely.
    Was the CLIENT patient enough to wait withut bothering the staff? NO

Sign after sign after sign point to an impatient, childish client here. The company isn't in the wrong here, the client, being the demanding, impatient, childish one definitely is.

From my own personal experience, their setup takes about 3-5 hours. Then again, I didn't act like an impatient child when ordering the setup, and waited

Normally, I should be cheering for the customer to get even better service, but in this case, linux-tech is right, this was just impatience making matters worse. Yes, the phrase 'time is money' is very right - but you didn't think of that when you decided -not- to spend $150/month on say a Rackspace account versus PhotonVPS.

For what its worth, PhotonVPS is just as good a value for those of us who don't need the provider to fit our schedule to the minute.

On a personal note, I'm a bit miffed that you're wasting my money on this. I'd had rather see my monthly contribution go to something that'd improve the infrastructure more than this.

Linux-Tech it appears you've been truly upset by this thread. I really don't think the comments I've made here are unreasonable and yet you've taken this to a personal level not only against myself but others. It also appears that those responding negatively here are not your standard hosting customer who's looking for reliable support and service. I'd be more than willing to accept differences of opinion but from the start it appears that your comments in this thread are to provoke and discredit.
    Last edited by AstroDude; 05-29-2011 at 03:07 PM.

I really don't think the comments I've made here are unreasonable
    Nobody ever does. Just like the guilty man claiming innocence until death, nobody is going to ever admit their comments, or demands are unreasonable.

Take not just my word for it, but the others here whom you've attacked because they said the same thing (including Photon VPS themselves).

Do I take issue here? Yes, both as a client of Photon VPS myself, and as a business owner since 2002. Clients who are impatient such as yourself really do nothing but add stress to an already stressful job.

Be patient, nothing good comes instantly.

Being innocent or guilty isn't even an issue on my side of things but if that's part of the motivation behind your comments it would shed some light (not all) as to why your so engaged in this thread.

Clients who are impatient such as yourself really do nothing but add stress to an already stressful job.
    Does that include any of your future clients who will have to worry whether they've stressed you out or not and receive the same type of comments your dishing out here?

Be patient, nothing good comes instantly.
    Words of wisdom.

I'll engrave them on a plaque and mount them on the wall next to my desk.

Being innocent or guilty isn't even an issue on my side of things but if that's part of the motivation behind your comments it would shed some light (not all) as to why your so engaged in this thread.
    I never said you were 'innocent' or 'guilty', simply that you were being impatient and had unreasonable expectations. Of course, I'm not the only one that said that in this very thread.

Does that include any of your future clients who will have to worry whether they've stressed you out or not and receive the same type of comments your dishing out here?
    Truth be told, I'm very selective in the clients I accept. If I had a client with the attitude you've shown throughout this thread, they'd be shown the door. I've done it before, and I'll do it again. Impatience, demanding things immediately, complaining, yeah, those clients get a cheerful refund and shown the door. Then again, my clients respect me and my time.

I'm not the only one that said that in this very thread.
    Yes and you've had others question your reasoning and logic along with myself.

Truth be told, I'm very selective in the clients I accept. If I had a client with the attitude you've shown throughout this thread, they'd be shown the door. I've done it before, and I'll do it again. Impatience, demanding things immediately, complaining, yeah, those clients get a cheerful refund and shown the door. Then again, my clients respect me and my time.
    I'm sure you've just impressed a heap of potential customers with this comment and left some other potential customers hoping to be one of the chosen few. I'm still amazed at your poor choice to jump into this thread and made the comments you've made as I truly believe you've done nothing but damage your business in my opinion and I almost feel sorry for you as you don't seem to realize it.

If you go back we both had our say at one point and yet you decided to continue on with your mandate. Is there something I can do to help ease this situation?

If you go back we both had our say at one point and yet you decided to continue on with your mandate. Is there something I can do to help ease this situation?
    I think if you got your refund already you have to forget about this story and go ahead.
    WebIntellects - Fully Managed Dedicated and Virtual Private Servers since1999.
    WebhostGIANT - LOW Cost Hosting

Quote Originally Posted by WebhostGIANT-Rob View Post
    I think if you got your refund already you have to forget about this story and go ahead.
    Your right and I've already been thinking that. I may have to chew on a bone or something when I read the next reply from my Linux-Tech friend should there be one.

I will no longer be replying in this thread.

Have a good night.

It is always good to have something than nothing.

i starting to think i might have the same problems