Asheville, NC Datacenters

Hi, everyone!

I'm looking to find out what other datacenters besides Netriplex provides colo in the Asheville, NC area.

Either that or providers that can do colo within Netriplex's DC.

The only requirement I have is that I'd really prefer to not be backhauled to another location like another provider I work with, do.

I'd rather keep the server in the same general area it's in, than to ship it elsewhere.

The only other company I know of looking to offer colo in Asheville, NC would be Obtrix. It doesn't appear the actual colo program has launched. You may want to contact them to find out more details.

Asheville is not exactly a meca for data centers.

Even Netriplex has to back-haul everything they have to Atlanta and Ashburn, and that has gone down in the past.

Well, that certainly explains why my server's backhauled to Atlanta...

In that case, I'll have to ship my server, it seems.

Wonderful. I take it that shipping it to Atlanta would be preferable, then?

Quote Originally Posted by Keiro View Post
    Well, that certainly explains why my server's backhauled to Atlanta...

In that case, I'll have to ship my server, it seems.

Wonderful. I take it that shipping it to Atlanta would be preferable, then?
    Well,

Physically the closest markets for facilities would be Charlotte, Atlanta, Ashburn. Shipping cost is also a factor of distance so those would be your cheapest destinations in terms of shipping charges as well. In terms of actual colo cost, Atlanta would probably be the least expensive of the 3.

Indeed. I should see if the datacenter provider I work with can move me to Atlanta... after I do an OS reload to get rid of cPanel. :/

But, I do have to ask, since you provide services in Atlanta:

Can you provide a sort of control panel interface for working with the server much like that of a KVM screen? I think you know what I mean.

If so, I may consider moving my server to you, TSS.

Indeed. I should see if the datacenter provider I work with can move me to Atlanta... after I do an OS reload to get rid of cPanel. :/

But, I do have to ask, since you provide services in Atlanta:

Can you provide a sort of control panel interface for working with the server much like that of a KVM screen? I think you know what I mean.

If so, I may consider moving my server to you, TSS.
    That depends on what the server or device is. For COLO it's a good practice to purchase equipment that supports some form of KVM-over-IP be it SuperMicro w/IPMI, dell DRAC, HP iLO, etc, etc. If it is a legacy or whitebox system without those options we recommend the purchase of a Spider or another similar device.

I get the feeling from your posts that you are leasing dedicated servers in which case this is the wrong area of WHT.

I don't think it has IPMI... I'd have to look up the actual motherboard, but I think it's Intel-based, which means I'd have to use a Spider.

Leased dedicated servers? Me? Naw.

No, seriously though... it's a Leased-to-own server. I took ownership of it in February.

Hence why I'm posting in the colo section because I intend to move it to another datacenter for colo, eiither that or stay with my current provider.

I'm just looking at options at the moment. I do like QuadraNet's management interface... shame it can't be whitebox-labeled.

I don't think it has IPMI... I'd have to look up the actual motherboard, but I think it's Intel-based, which means I'd have to use a Spider.

Leased dedicated servers? Me? Naw.

No, seriously though... it's a Leased-to-own server. I took ownership of it in February.

Hence why I'm posting in the colo section because I intend to move it to another datacenter for colo, eiither that or stay with my current provider.

I'm just looking at options at the moment. I do like QuadraNet's management interface... shame it can't be whitebox-labeled.

Ah, yeah in that case a lantronix spider would be your best bet.

I believe they use Ubersmith which you could of course buy if you want, we also use it, as do many other providers. It's a great software package.

Duplicate post. Whoops!
    Last edited by Keiro; 05-27-2011 at 03:54 PM.

So that's what provides the beautiful management interface?

Hmm. I'll have to look into that, myself.

... After we get done developing our own in-house cPanel alternative.

For now, I'm working on grabbing the info from the server in question.

Welp, as I remembered, it is indeed an Intel DG43GT board.

No IPMI. Which means a Spider. Woo.